Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Best Seat In The House?

5 posts in this topic

Check this out:

[attachmentid=1426]

This is the way, in the most recent LA City FD engines, that the crew rides. Keep in mind that LAFD also responds to medical calls and other calls where SCBA isn't needed. It's a career FD, and they spend a lot of time riding in the engine. However for when it's needed, the SCBA stores right next to their seat and is easy to grasp and apply. It is also very easy to check without having to remove from the bracket . As far as putting it on enroute, I don't think it's possible to apply SCBA and have your seat belt on, so. This design also allows them to put their turnout gear on the engine tunnel, and helmets in the helmet rack, leaving plenty of legroom.

I hate seats with the pack in the back....they stick into your back when riding around, and they have you literally "riding on the edge of the seat". These seats are so comfortable, and the seat belt is easy to find and put on as well. I like this idea very much.

These seats actually let you sit in the seat/

Around here, Yorktown FD's New Ladder 51 applies the same principle to its officers seat.

[attachmentid=1427]

post-2-1161378488.jpg

post-2-1161378699.jpg

I am not a career but I would like to see a voli engine like this too. Hell how many times do you actually pack up. Maybe 20 or 30 times a year, taking in the CO alarms, car fires, and those calls for heavy smoke. Granted we don't ride in the trucks all day unless its a bad storm and were bouncing from call to call.

I've never been bothered by riding in a seat with an SCBA in it, nor have I really ever heard our guys complain. The backplates of the Scotts are pretty comfy anyway, in my opinion. I'm not saying there aren't pros or cons to either scenario, but I definitely don't dislike having the pack right there and ready to strap on. It's a hell of a lot easier to strap up and walk away than it is to carry the pack out of the truck with you and have to do an over the shoulder or over the head donning.

I am not a career but I would like to see a voli engine like this too.  Hell how many times do you actually pack up.  Maybe 20 or 30 times a year, taking in the CO alarms, car fires, and those calls for heavy smoke.

I can only speak to my own dept, but we pack up for every call where there is a potential for fire or other IDLH environment. Yes, that includes automatic alarms. I couldn't even imagine why anyone would selectively pack up. What happens if that BS automatic turns out to be a basement fire you stumble upon during investigation? Not only do you waste time running out to get packed up, but you've got no protection in the meanwhile. Nope, we go into all situations packed up and carrying tools and at least one can.

Edited by res6cue

Well, I say whatever gets the job done. Even though im just a JR we still get to ride the rigs. Ive never noticed if it hurts my back or if my a$$ is half off the seat. Aslong as the rig gets you to where you gotta go is fine with me.

Anyway, I think that the SCBA's in the seat are easier to pack up with for the firefighters. It may be a little bit of a pain though if your riding in a Lo Pro cab. Other than that I think its easier for them.

One company in my town ordered thier current pumper w/out SCBA seats due to space constrainst in the rear of the cab (a late 1980's enclosed cab) and regret it since.