Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Rochelle FF's Get Donated Safety Ropes

12 posts in this topic

From LoHud.com. Captain Benz stars.

Video: New Rochelle firefighters rappel from building

The Journal News

(Original publication: October 20, 2006)

New Rochelle firefighters train using new safety ropes in a just-posted LoHud.com video.

Cappelli Enterprises donated money to purchase the life-saving ropes that will fit in the turnout gear of every New Rochelle firefighter, enabling them to rappel out of a building in an emergency.

Two New York City firefighters died and four others were injured when they had to jump from a burning building in the Bronx without ropes in January 2005. John Bellew of Pearl River died along with Lt. Curtis Meyran. Jeffery Cool of Garnerville was among the wounded.

View the video of the New Rochelle training session:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...020004/-1/VIDEO

Edited by x635

That was very generous of them, lets hope that they wont have to use them though. Stay safe and train for the worst as always.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

does nrfd have the step in harnesses like fdny?

Most of them have the Class ll Harness. And I have seen some with the Xtreme Rescue "Gut Belt", Ladder/Escape Belt. I havnt noticed any with the harness built into the bunkers.

Gut Belt Below-------------------------------------------------------Class ll Below

post-3281-1161386843.jpg

post-3281-1161386853.jpg

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

FF Jeff Cool Res 3 FDNY who was one of the survivors that day is trying to get all firefighters nationwide to have these ropes,however from a recent conversation with Jeff it appears that his goal might be a tough one because alot of the fire service leaders that he has contacted do not seem to interested. Coming from a survivor of black sunday its a disgrace that some of the fire service leaders don't step up to the plate and get this goal of jeffs rolling!!!!

While I agree it is a disgrace for the fire service leaders to not supply the men with what they need you should still go out and buy your own rope. It is better to have it and get out than to fight with city hall about getting it when you really needed it.

Edited by lad12derff

Agreed Lad12. If you department/district/municipality doesn't have the foresight to protect you then protect yourself. 40' of 3/8" rope and a large carabiner are not all that expensive and if you maintain it and stay alert so hopefully a situation never arises that you have to use the rope it will last quite some time.

For those whom are looking to buy their own. Be cautious with all these bags and such out there. I am not a big fan of having the rope in a bag from my experiences of teaching survival and seeing some of the problems associated with them. I've also seen a disturbing trend of where people are clicking these carabiners. Often on the waist tabs of their bunkers and such, which with a glove on and when needed rapidly will delay your ability or even completely impede its removal. Have a good size figure 8 to slip over tools and keep the carabiner attached if you have to wrap an anchor. Why the figure 8. I've witnesses several incidences where when the carbiner is on the shaft of the tool and it has gotten caught flat and when the load is transfered to the tool when sliding out of the window, the carabiner has flipped and the momentum generated has caused the tool to slip from its anchor point and fall out the window itself.

While I agree it is a disgrace for the fire service leaders to not supply the men with what they need you should still go out and buy your own rope. It is better to have it and get out than to fight with city hall about getting it when you really needed it.

Well put L-12. If you know it can save your life and the cost is'nt an issue then why wait for a pencil pusher to sign off on a dept. wide purchase. Ask around and I'm sure you can figure out what you need to buy. That along with some hands on training can save your life.

lt rob- I agree 100 % that members should buy a rope kit if the dept does not supply it,i think the point that I should have made is that the fire officials should be behind the drive regardless who or how the unit is purchased. The training should already have been done by now.

guy lets remember that there are depts that can't equip everyone with turnouts. hell Chicago is just now starting to issue bunker pants. Its not that they don't care or that they don't want them its that escape ropes are not necessarially a priority. As per guys buying their own it may be the best money they ever spend.

First let me say kudos to the New Rochelle fire department for being a proactive fire department and obtaining Personal Safety System for their firefighters.

Second let me say that just having one will not save your life. Train, Train, Train.

Know how to use it before you have to use it.

I hold this subject very near and dear to me. For without a P.S.S. myself and a good friend and Brother firefighter would not be here today.

We the Black Sunday Survivors are giving a seminar on December 6th 2006 at the Rockland County fire training center on Black Sunday. All proceeds will be going towards the Andy Fredrick Memorial Scholarship fund. Andy was one the country's top fire service instructors who made the Supreme Sacrifice on 9/11.Please click on the link and click on bulletin for info on seminar.

If you already have a P.S.S. or you or your department is thinking about getting one then this seminar is for you. See you on December 6th.

Black Sunday Seminar

Jeff Cool

RES3CUE

FDNY

Edited by BROTHERFOREVER