Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Under age EMTs

23 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was just woundering how departments handle EMTs that are under 18 (16 or 17) signing a run form. Is it legal.

Of course it is legal. I have been an EMT since age 16 (now 19) and have always signed run forms. If you're certified and work for an ambulance agency, you can sign the run form.

Since when does NYS certify people under the age of 18 as EMTs?

res6cue is correct. you have to 18 to become an EMT in NY, you can become a CFR at 16, though.

In CT, you can become an EMT at 16.

Do you mean underage members riding the Ambulance such as a

Junior Corps Member?

I rode as an Attendant/Observer when I was 16.

I think it's a great thing to have 16 and 17 y/o in EMS and Fire.

It really sparked my interest at a young age.

In New York State you can be a Certified First Responder at age 16

and an Emergency Medical Technician at age 18.

I was an EMT and listed as the "Crew Chief when I was

just 18 years old.

It's a lot of responsibility and not for everyone but my 5th call as

an EMT happened to be a Cardiac Arrest.

NOTE: It was a CPR Save 7 y/o Drowning. biggrin.gif

Do you mean underage members riding the Ambulance such as a

Junior Corps Member?

I rode as an Attendant/Observer when I was 16.

I think it's a great thing to have 16 and 17 y/o in EMS and Fire.

It really sparked my interest at a young age.

In New York State you can be a Certified First Responder at age 16

and an Emergency Medical Technician at age 18.

I was an EMT and listed as the "Crew Chief when I was

just 18 years old.

It's a lot of responsibility and not for everyone but my 5th call as

an EMT happened to be a Cardiac Arrest.

NOTE: It was a CPR Save 7 y/o Drowning.  biggrin.gif

Yes cool, Yeah in CT you can be an EMT at 16 and what I am trying to figure out is how other deparmtents handle EMTs that are under 18 signing a run form.

In my ambulance corps, you cant ride until you are 17. When you ride calls, the crew chief will put your name on the run and CFR number if you have one. Only EMTs are allowed to write PCR's

CT an EMT at 16 years old?

Cool... I didn't know that.

Hey, If you can do the job at 16 years old hats off to you!!!

As far as a legal issue of being under 18 good point.

My next question would be.....

Why would the State of CT allow this if it's an issue?

EMT @ age of 16? Interesting, cant say i agree...as an EMT has to make some tough decisions...and if you cant even legally be responsible for yourself i don't know how the law would expect you to be responsible for some elses wellbeing. As per young members...in my experience its hit or miss. When i volunteered on a more regular basis i rode as an attendant while in EMT class with a great crew who taught me alot, it was a great learning experience. Working in a combined agency, I've tried to be as accommodating to younger members (the few that are around) of the volly contingent, and again its hit or miss on how they will respond. In terms of the ambulance getting out, they are not all that helpful....but O/S they can be of some assistance (i usually will allow them to take a BP and listen to lung sounds, etc. after i have done so). Its all about how open minded they are, i think.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Yea here in Florida you can take the class and do the clinicals at 17 but cannot take the state test until 18 and it has to be withing one year of completing the course. We dont have voulnteer emts where I am so im not sure the legality of signing a run form but I have to agree with 66alpha1 im not sure you can sign because you cant really be held legally responsible but im not sure how Ct handles things

16 is a little young I think generally, but there are always exceptions to the rule. I don't think most agencies would put a 16 y/o out on their own. When I turned 18 and got cert., I had a GREAT collection of EMT's that I learned a lot from. I think really at any age though, if you just got certified you can learn a lot from those around you...there's the words in the textbook, and then there's applying those words to real life-not an easy jump most times.

I'm not sure about Conn laws...but if you have an EMT number valid for the state you're in-I'm pretty sure you can write the PCR(and sign it). Usually the "in charge" person is the crew cheif(usually most experienced)---and usually he/she is the first name on the PCR. If you're crew is just a 16 y/o EMT and a driver(in conn.)---then the 16 y/o EMT is "in charge" and writes his own report.

You can be an EMT (that is you can start the EMT class) at the age of 16 in New Jersey as well. A LOT of people make the "too young" arguement, but I don't agree. When I took my class (at 16) I'm pretty sure I would trust 9/10 of the 16 year-olds in the room before I would trust ANY of the 30-40 year-old adults. That's not to say either group has any overall ability, but just to point out that just because someone is 16 doesn't mean they aren't capable of being an EMT. EMT is NOT rocket science. In fact, there isn't all that much difficult about the skills you learn as an EMT at all. Perfecting them, and learning to adapt to more difficult situations and complicated patients is where more challenge becomes evident. And that is all part of learning and experience (whether 16, 18, or 40 years old). In NJ (and I'm sure it is the case in CT) you won't get hired as an EMT anywhere at age 16, and there are restrictions as to what you can do and what you can be in charge of. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any voly corps that allow 16-year-old EMTs to be in charge of care. In fact--if I'm not mistaken--that is a statewide policy.

I personally agree with EMTs at age 16. There isn't a damn thing you learn in EMT-BASIC (BASIC for a reason) that can't be understood and done by a 16 year old. In just about every single case I would say any 16 year old taking time out of his or her day and every other activity HS kids are involved in is going to be dedicated and fully interested in being an EMT. That was the impression that I got and I'm pretty sure it's the right one. Dedicated kids are just as good (if not better) at learning things adults do.

What are the arguements to the contrary, really?

-They're too young and too inexperienced? Um, not valid. Everyone who comes out of EMT class is generally that way, no matter how old they are (speaking about strictly EMT experience).

-They're too small and weak? I beg to differ. Many are stronger and in better shape to do the job than your typical 50 year-old 3-packs-a-day smoking "experienced person."

-Legal or not? There isn't going to be anywhere where a 16-year-old is in charge of care. And if there is, I would say that is wrong (not because they are too young, but because they are too inexperienced, similar to anyone coming out of EMT class. But you can be sure that a 16 year-old is a new EMT. You can't assume that with e.g. a 32 year old.)

I think the extra two years I was able to be an EMT was a huge help in developing skills that I have now. (Incidentally, I'm from NY. Always have been. Took my EMT in Jersey for the reasons that I have been describing. Became a NYS EMT at 18 and have been doing that (and now ALS) ever since.) If you know the skills from age 16, you learn and assist others for a few years until you can get on your feet. Then, when you are 18, you're miles ahead of the people becoming EMTs in charge of care in other states. I would say it's far more dangerous having your brand new whacker/buff/sparky EMT in NY who just got his card yesterday in charge of care than having a 16-year-old EMT in the first place. Think about it...

Roeems87,

While I think you make a few valid points, I think you are also unfortunately downplaying two very important things: Life experience and maturity.

A 32 year old WILL have more life experience than a 16 year old. Since, as you assert, most of the EMT skills are so basic a monkey could learn to do them, life experience will be key in times of crisis or on a hot job. Same goes for people skills and communications skills as well as decision making. Maturity is related to that. A 32 year old will likely handle a tough call better than a 16 year old kid will.

Listen, I started riding at 15, took my EMT test two days after my 18th birthday. Yes, I absolutely breezed through my practical and written so fast and proficiently it was scary. I don't dispute that you can learn the skills and be a great EMT even at a young age. What I do think is that with age comes wisdom. Not the same kind you get out of a book or in a classroom either.

I'm pretty sure I would trust 9/10 of the 16 year-olds in the room before I would trust ANY of the 30-40 year-old adults.

I'm pretty sure that most people would trust an adult to treat them in a time of crisis before they would trust a zit faced kid who is doing his 10th grade Biology homework between calls!

OK, in CT you can be certified an EMT at the age of 16 but you are not National Registry Certified. Also the test if different for 16 & 17 year old that the full CT test and they have to take a full refresher when they are 18 and then can apply for National Registry certification.

As for signing run forms, no you cannot legally sign a run form under the age of 18. Also any person that is 16 or 17 years old must also operate with an EMT who is 18 years or old (not an MRT). This is what I remember and I do not know the specifics of it or if it has been changed.

There area actually very few ambulance corps / associations that have 16 / 17 year old EMT, most of them are observers.

i Rememeber in High school in 1982 /83 you had to be 17 to ride a "rig " in ridgefield nj we had 5 people riding ambo and i believe 8 that were members of FD Jr's btw or what they called CD'S 17 to join FD too It's 16 to be a jr here now on FD in englewood cliffs nj We find our jr program is a start and has paid off

A 32 year old WILL have more life experience than a 16 year old. Since, as you assert, most of the EMT skills are so basic a monkey could learn to do them, life experience will be key in times of crisis or on a hot job. Same goes for people skills and communications skills as well as decision making. Maturity is related to that. A 32 year old will likely handle a tough call better than a 16 year old kid will.

No doubt... that's why they're not in charge. And I made that point, so I didn't miss it. My point was that the EMT skill difference between the two won't be all that great. Their ability to handle more difficult situations comes from experience (that's just about word-for-word from the first post), which they will then learn from older members/EMTs. Incidentally, I wouldn't expect a brand new EMT (lets say e.g. a 32-year-old one) to handle a "hot job" all that much better than a 16 year-old. A new EMT doesn't know all that much no matter how old they are and how much life experience they have. Granted, yes, an older person will have more life experience to draw from and adapt to the situation, but they will be having just as hard a time doing it...

What I do think is that with age comes wisdom. Not the same kind you get out of a book or in a classroom either.

That's exactly my point. Only difference is that I say train EMTs at 16 so they can learn the skills and become better ones as they get older and more experienced. The baseline knowledge and skills won't change whether you learn it at 16, 18, or 45. The ability to deal with them will, yes--as you said--come with life experience... That will also come with EMT experience. So why not start at 16 (when you're not in charge and can assist a great deal)? The being in charge and "handling a large, hot job" argument is * and void. They aren't the ones handling them by themselves, so I even think it makes sense to use it.

I'm pretty sure that most people would trust an adult to treat them in a time of crisis before they would trust a zit faced kid who is doing his 10th grade Biology homework between calls!

That's the exact problem with the situation. Perhaps you need to meet a few more mature and capable 16 year-olds. Believe it or not, they're capable of a lot more than Biology homework and taking acne medication... And what's more, they're much more willing to learn... I would, yes, rather have a 16 year-old learning EMT being around helping me (just remind yourself about the "not in charge" point) than some of the older, "more mature," pathetic EMTs I see on a more than regular basis who are less than willing to learn anything from anyone... But you're probably right, they don't have zits, and really have about zero idea about the biology behind most things they practice...

Well, I must say...your posts sound full of bitterness towards older EMTs and perhaps adults in general. Let us not forget, as I stated in my post, I was also once one of those "mature 16 year olds", so I don't really think I need to go meet any. I have the firsthand perspective on it, and feeling at the time I knew more than everyone else around me. Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure I was just an arrogant ass.

Not all older EMTs are "pathetic", nor are they ignorant about "the biology behind most things they practice". Again, I don't know how old you are or who rubbed you the wrong way, but boy does it shine right through in your postings. Curious, how old exactly are you anyway? Early 20s perhaps?

Sorry, 16 is too young to have that much responsibility, regardless of how difficult the training is. Liability also comes into play here. Personally, I would rather have an older, more mature person providing me with care unless it was basic first aid stuff.

I got my CFR at 16, that was way better than when I became an EMT three years later. Got to have all the fun, and do almost everything, but no paperwork to do.

Alas I had to become an EMT for money's sake.

My question is- Your allowed to become an EMT at the age of 16 in Conn and NJ like you saying. You and your family moves to NY. Is your certification still valid? or how does that work? Im guessing it isn't? Just a general question to throw out there...

My question is- Your allowed to become an EMT at the age of 16 in Conn and NJ like you saying. You and your family moves to NY. Is your certification still valid? or how does that work? Im guessing it isn't? Just a general question to throw out there...

Well, unfortunately I cannot answer your question. But I do know that someone who is 15 with a Drivers License, who moves to NY or any state where you have to be 16, the license was already issued and is valid. I would assume with EMT cert it's the same? Once the cert is issued, its issued. All though I know EMS is a touchy field, state cert, national cert, etc... Hopefully someon can answer your question, unlike I just did smile.gif

Edited by JustSomeGuy

You will have to challenge the state test. Most states wont take another's cert but im not sure what happens if you are nationally certified, im pretty sure New York is unique in not accepting anyone buy New York's cert. but not positive maybe someone else can help us out...

Hello,

I was just woundering how departments handle EMTs that are under 18 (16 or 17) signing a run form. Is it legal.

You should contact Darien EMS, as this is a corp that is run soley by 16-18 yr olds that work under the supervision of 21 yr old advisors. I believe this is an Explorer post. See how they run it and what SOP/SPG or legaleez is in effect.

Since you are asking this ??????????? I assume you passed your test, Congrads !