Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest TOYBUFF911

Law Enforcement Radio Inter-Operability

7 posts in this topic

This topic is also a sore spot of mine. Being with YPD ESU we are requested a lot, by the smaller towns for immediate assistance due to our manpower and staffing. It is very frustrating not being able to communicate with other jobs, especially neighboring departments. I recall several drills at the county airport, where we have no operating capabilities with anyone. I think one of our problems is that we are digital, so this limits our use. We do have capabilities to talk to NYPD 50-52 PCTS, 47-49, NYPD SOD, Statflight, and our fire department. NYPD SOD is a life saver, coordinating there ESU and Aviation is a key and cuts out the middle man and time lost between both communications divisions.

Every City/Town/Village Dept in Westchester should switch to DIGITAL. Not only so we can all communicate if something bad happens but to also keep the criminals from listening to what is going on. They get a jump on things because we put it over the air.

But they can buy/steal a digital scanner and it really wouldn't make a difference. I have a digital scanner.

Yes they could buy or steal whatever they wanted. That's why they are CRIMINALS. We could just use a cup and string. They can't intercept that. Or maybe even smoke signals would work.

But they can buy/steal a digital scanner and it really wouldn't make a difference. I have a digital scanner.

Don't you need the digital PL and other "codes" to receive a digital transmission or is that just to transmit on the system?

Every City/Town/Village Dept in Westchester should switch to DIGITAL. Not only so we can all communicate if something bad happens but to also keep the criminals from listening to what is going on. They get a jump on things because we put it over the air.

Digital doesn't mean random people aren't listening... While scanners that can properly monitor trunking systems are prohibitively expensive, its pocket change for a drug dealer... Plus there are websites with live feeds, so all they need is a "look-out" sitting at home with a computer and a Nextel...

Don't you need the digital PL and other "codes" to receive a digital transmission or is that just to transmit on the system?

I guess that would be to transmit on the system. I just put the frequencies into the scanner, hit enter, and I am monitoring the frequency.

My scanner also has dual trunking capabilities.