Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lad12derff

Rescue or removal?

16 posts in this topic

I have been seeing alot of rescues as of late and was wondering what everones idea of a rescue is and their idea of a removal?

Before I answer, I want to make sure what you mean. Do you mean rescues as in trucks or as response calls (I'm thinking the responses)

Simple.

Rescue = Viable patient removed, time is obviously of the essence and may very well require risk to be taken on our part

Removal = Expired victim removed, time is not a factor and you should never take a risk when there is no chance of performing a rescue

You read about a police officer (I am not bashing cops!!!!!) who bangs on doors to let people know there is a fire in a building.Rescue or removal? A team of firefighters finds a jumper on the roof of an exposure of a building (no longer in immediate danger of the fire) and take him away in a stokes from a 1 story exposure. Rescue or removal? 2 firefighters find a person unconscience in a bedroom of an apt fire and take him to safety. Rescue or removal? I could go on but I am sure you get the meaning.

You read about a police officer (I am not bashing cops!!!!!) who bangs on doors to let people know there is a fire in a building.Rescue or removal?

Thats a removal

A team of firefighters finds a jumper on the roof of an exposure of a building (no longer in immediate danger of the fire) and take him away in a stokes from a 1 story exposure. Rescue or removal?

Why was he taken down in a stokes if it was he was on an exposure building? Why couldn't they use the interior stairs or at worst a ladder? Any which ways its still a removal.

2 firefighters find a person unconscience  in a bedroom of an apt fire and take him to safety. Rescue or removal?

Now that is a rescue.

If u have to physically assist a civilian or another FF because they are physically or mentally incapable of removing themselves from any IDLH I would consider it a rescue.

I agree a rescue is giving assistance to anyone leaving the structure.

Rescue = Taking person/animal/whatever you want to call it out of a IDLH environment alive

Recovery(or what you call removal) = Taking person/animal/whatever you want to call it out of a IDLH environment dead

That's how we refer to it on my neck of the woods...

You read about a police officer (I am not bashing cops!!!!!) who bangs on doors to let people know there is a fire in a building.Rescue or removal? A team of firefighters finds a jumper on the roof of an exposure of a building (no longer in immediate danger of the fire) and take him away in a stokes from a 1 story exposure. Rescue or removal? 2 firefighters find a person unconscience  in a bedroom of an apt fire and take him to safety. Rescue or removal? I could go on but I am sure you get the meaning.

Are you sure you're not bashing cops??? (just kidding) Sorry, but I'd call your first example an evacuation. If you pulled an alarm box in an equipped building it would have the same effect, right?

How 'bout this variation on the theme... Is it an extrication? If you open a door and assist EMS in removing a victim without the need for tools/equipment/hardware/toys/airbags/hairbags (oh wait, that's the cop)/etc. do you call it an extrication?

Middle one I'm staying out of but the last example has to be called a rescue.

cool.gif

You read about a police officer (I am not bashing cops!!!!!) who bangs on doors to let people know there is a fire in a building.Rescue or removal? A team of firefighters finds a jumper on the roof of an exposure of a building (no longer in immediate danger of the fire) and take him away in a stokes from a 1 story exposure. Rescue or removal? 2 firefighters find a person unconscience  in a bedroom of an apt fire and take him to safety. Rescue or removal? I could go on but I am sure you get the meaning.

I think this is whats known as semantics.

Lad22, thanks I had a brain-fart, don't known why I though it that way.

To me a rescue is any assistance to a patient or victim who cannot under their own power get out of harms way. Example, pin job, confined space, collapse, trapped in a burning structure or vehicle, ect.

A removal is the tanking of a person, under their own power who is not in imminent danger or help them in a non dangerous situation. Someone alerting people of a fire in a building, removal. A lift assist from a fall, not a rescue, an assistance call.

If the person has any sever injuries sustained from a life threatening incident, then I think i can be classified as a rescue aka the jumper from one roof of a burning building to another. Technically in that scenario the patient rescue him / her self, technically.

But true we can go on an on. Bottom line is what I said above, my opinion. Rescue is too easy of a term to pin on anything.

Lad22, thanks I had a brain-fart, don't known why I though it that way.

To me a rescue is any assistance to a patient or victim who cannot under their own power get out of harms way.  Example, pin job, confined space, collapse, trapped in a burning structure or vehicle, ect.

A removal is the tanking of a person, under their own power who is not in imminent danger or help them in a non dangerous situation.  Someone alerting people of a fire in a building, removal.  A lift assist from a fall, not a rescue, an assistance call.

If the person has any sever injuries sustained from a life threatening incident, then I think i can be classified as a rescue aka the jumper from one roof of a burning building to another.  Technically in that scenario the patient rescue him / her self, technically.

But true we can go on an on.  Bottom line is what I said above, my opinion.  Rescue is too easy of a term to pin on anything.

Absolutely right Izzy, a Rescue is too easy a term to pin on anything, especially over a badge on a dress uniform! dry.gif

Simple.

Rescue = Viable patient removed, time is obviously of the essence and may very well require risk to be taken on our part

Removal = Expired victim removed, time is not a factor and you should never take a risk when there is no chance of performing a rescue

I've gone on stuck occupied elevators where we removed the occupents. They were still alive so was this a rescue? So a removel might not always mean the person is expired. They were just in a place they could'nt get out of.

Rescue:

Involves the removal and treatment of victims from situations involving natural elements, structural collapse, elevation differences, or any other situation not considered to be an extrication incident.

Extrication:

Involves the removal and treatment of victims who are trapped by some type of man-made machinery or equipment.

Essentials of Firefighting, 4th Edition

As far as a police officer notifying occupants, I as well would call that an evacuation.

The scenario of the exposure, that is an assistance.

Someone should tell the State the exact definitions of these different words. They consider lock-ins and occupants stuck in stalled elevators Rescues, as far as the NYS Fire Reporting System is concerned.