Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLS1400

Are Dodge Chargers Really Necessary?

10 posts in this topic

I had the opportunity to see the NYSP Vehicle Bid for 07, and they appear to be getting 100 Chargers, and 20 Magnums. I assume that they want to give them a try to see how they hold up for them.

They are also getting 500 Crown Vics (400 With Lightbars, 100 Slicktops), 200 RWD Tahoes, and 50 4WD Tahoes.

I'm sure once the '09 Impala with RWD comes out, they will give them a shot as well. I think the Impala might actually be a better car than the Charger, it sounds as if it will be much bigger!

Edited by RLS1400

My question for you all is, why are firemen (volley/paid), ems and just buffs concerned what type of vehicle PDs have? What does a ff/volunteer possibly know about Police work to be able to dictate the type of equipment that we have? I'm sure if it was your house being broken into at 3:30 in the morning you'd want the responding units to get there as quick as possible.

If it was a million dollar Rescue truck for a small town FD this post would not exsist. LIVE AND LET LIVE.

My question for you all is, why are firemen (volley/paid), ems and just buffs concerned what type of vehicle PDs have?  What does a ff/volunteer possibly know about Police work to be able to dictate the type of equipment that we have?  I'm sure if it was your house being broken into at 3:30 in the morning you'd want the responding units to get there as quick as possible. 

If it was  a million dollar Rescue truck for a small town FD this post would not exsist.  LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Your point is well taken and i understand your frustration. I had mentioned this a few posts above:

Don't Beverly Hills cops drive Mercedes MLs? Like a few have said, to each their own. From what I've seen it doesn't seem like departments are simply revamping their entire fleet. The reality appears that the Charger seems like a competitor to the Impala/Crown Vic and departments are purchasing evaluation cars accordingly. It only seems logical to give our officers the best and safest tools - so its almost (in my eyes) essential that they look toward the future and stay on top of the latest options.

I stand by that statement, but i really don't know much about police needs, maybe you can use your expertise to help me and others understand what goes into determining what makes a good police cruiser?

just as a sidebar - it matters to me only because i work with the pd/sheriffs dept on a daily basis. I view them as an integral part of my response and effectiveness o/s so their safety is just as important to me as mine.

Edited by 66Alpha1

My question for you all is, why are firemen (volley/paid), ems and just buffs concerned what type of vehicle PDs have?  What does a ff/volunteer possibly know about Police work to be able to dictate the type of equipment that we have?  I'm sure if it was your house being broken into at 3:30 in the morning you'd want the responding units to get there as quick as possible. 

If it was  a million dollar Rescue truck for a small town FD this post would not exsist.  LIVE AND LET LIVE.

Amen, King!

Would y'all prefer that the cops drive a car that becomes a fireball when rear-ended?

State bid makes it an economical competitor and besides, it has an input to play your IPOD on the car speakers - who cares about the Hemi?

cool.gif

Hey there Kingsixx. I understand your point and it is well taken. I do want to ask, do you think that there is some Dodge Pride going on here? Not that I'm suggesting Dodge Pride is a bad thing; I just know that the old Dodge Polaras could hit 120 easily and I wonder if there's some of that going on. Like I said, definitely not a bad thing, but I doubt any Westchester PD's (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) ran Intrepids, not in the same way they woulda run a Polara or a Plymouth Fury (or even a St. Regis.) cool.gifwink.gif Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF, who was astonished to find out the other day that NYPD ran Ford LTD Highway RMP's!

Although I completly understand and respect your point, I do sense a bit of tension with firefighters from this and previous posts of yours.

I'm not the same way. I am a career FF and Paramedic. I have numerous friends that are cops, and I consider them standing shoulder to shoulder with me in this business. I also, as many know, have an great interest in Fire/EMS/PD/DPW apparatus, which is quite obvious. What my cop friends don't know about my job as a firefighter, I try and educate them about- not tell them it's "none of their business".

Nobody here is trying to "dictate" what type of emergency apparatus a officer should have, rather just trying to learn and discuss, just like we discuss fire trucks and ambulances, etc. Just like you are welcomed to join in on those topics, others are welcomed to join in on this topic. I agree, there are many who don't know a single thing about what goes on in terms of a police car or any other emergency apparatus for that matter, but I know I, like many others, would like to learn more, especially given my interest in the Dodge Charger.

Edited by x635

X635, I was a long time reader of this message board long before I started posting. I'm responding to your last post directly simply because I enjoy reading what you have to say pretty much all of the time and I appreciate your pictures.

In this instance I have to disagree with you though. You stated the following;

Nobody here is trying to "dictate" what type of emergency apparatus a officer should have

When in fact that is what most of the posters here are trying to imply. In case you did not read any of the prior posts, let me give you a sample.

mllax14 writes,

If they are needed as a regular patrol unit why buy a Hemi it seems like way too much power for local or city streets.

Truck6018 writes,

Realistically, there is no need to justitfy it.

krs940 (being the most opinionated volley) writes,

as i stated in an earlier thread on this topic, I STRONGLY disagree that the townies need a HEMI. first off i dont believe they have the pursuit skills or training that a state/county cop does. second there is no need to have all that horse power in a small town, again pursuits will not be done on local roads its unsafe and not pratical. leave the high powered patrol cars to better thoses who know how to use them . AND.... you cant tell me that a village about 1 or 2 square miles needs a hemi!!!! you cant i dont care about the contract or not.

Jared1979 (only a buff) writes,

I personally think that police depts who have purchased the dodge charger are really wasting their money beacause these cars were not made for law enforcement

ryanmacEMT writes,

there is no need for small towns and villages to have a hemi. i mean how often do they have pursuits

DCurtis writes,

The chargers look nice and are fast, but I agree with many when i say that they are just not nessesary for smaller towns. For highway and trooper use, its completely understandable.

Fex404 writes (and mispells),

i dont think there is much "hand on" with high speed persuits -- but I am not sure -- but i do agree that the v-6 would be just fine

So you see X635 therein lays my frustration when I have mostly volunteers/buffs that probably aren't even 21 yet questioning why the Police do this and why the Police have that. These are probably the same guys that will question an officer if he/she has to defend himself. They seem to think that they know what’s suitable for us to drive around in, yet they're probably still driving around in mommy's car.

Guys like yourself, 66Alpha1, alsfirefighter and Captain 402 seem to have a grasp as to what really goes on and how the system works.

As for your comment that there is tension between myself and firemen, put yourself in my shoes after reading some of the posts on here and then reasonably ask yourself, "can I blame him?". Just so that you know, I work with a group of highly skilled firefighters and at scenes everyone knows their role. Ninety five percent of the time things go by smoothly and everyone gets along.

I think that a better statement would be that there is tension between myself and lack of common sense. Other then that brother I appreciate your comments and opinions due to the fact that you lay them out in a clear and concise manner.

For those of you that I may offend, sorry that I come off a bit strong but that is how it is. I try not to sugarcoat things and I don't mean to bash anyone. At the same time I don't think it’s fair to have my job dictated to me by someone who knows nothing about it.

The views reflected in this post are the sole views of Kingsixx and do not in anyway reflect the opinions of EMTBravo, its moderators or administrative staff.

Edited by Kingsixx

For those of you that I may offend, sorry that I come off a bit strong but that is how it is.  I try not to sugarcoat things and I don't mean to bash anyone.  At the same time I don't think it’s fair to have my job dictated to me by someone who knows nothing about it.

Cant argue with that, at all. I think the biggest issue plaguing this discussion is that people are viewing the Charger from only a standpoint of speed. You simply cannot do that. Just as a quick sidebar: i don't know why anyone would be turned off by the Hemi (or whatever police package they offer) - everyone here should know that its always better to bring in more equipment than to bring in less and be stuck with your pants around your ankles in the field - i would only assume the same would apply with a cruiser's horsepower. However, back on topic - you have to view the Charger (or really any potential alternative) as a full package. Like i said in my very first post - i have yet to see an entire fleet of Chargers. It appears that departments are still feeling them out and thats acceptable, these things take time. It would be shortsighted to rule them out without giving them a few laps around the block. What we are and have seen is our tax dollars working for us.

as i stated in an earlier thread on this topic, I STRONGLY disagree that the townies need a HEMI. first off i dont believe they have the pursuit skills or training that a state/county cop does. second there is no need to have all that horse power in a small town, again pursuits will not be done on local roads its unsafe and not pratical. leave the high powered patrol cars to better thoses who know how to use them . AND.... you cant tell me that a village about 1 or 2 square miles needs a hemi!!!! you cant i dont care about the contract or not.

And your law enforcement experience and backround is? By the way you sound really angry.

Edited by 210

I agree with you Kingsixx, I have worked with opposite you when you were a PO and I was an EMT, so I know you and your frusterations, and I know how much you love being a cop and want just what is best for the system and the people we serve.

Many of those show disrespect, and ignorance. I wonder how those guys would feel if a cop told them that they didn't need that particular firetruck? They'd be pretty pissed off to- "What does that cop know about firetrucks"

My point was to take this oppurtunity to educate to those members WHY you need those cars, or why you don't. I still don't feel they are "dictating", more offering their opinions, as wrong or off base as they may be- but they are there opinions and you have the chance here to sway them. Many of our younger members don't realize when to open their mouths and when to close it and listen. This is a forum to LEARN and share information.

Whether their opinion is posted here, they're also probaly saying it on the street. Set the record straight here....educate.....thats why this forum exists. I absolutely agree some poeple speak without having a clue, or the experience to speak about this issue their on.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at, I'm tired and incoherent right now, just got back from picking my sister up at JFK after her flight was delayed two hours.

Edited by x635