Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CPAGE

Tiller's in the county then and now

13 posts in this topic

Sorry this may have been done in the past. I was looking at old pic's and had the idea for the thread.

So here is what I remember from then (80's) and now.

FDMV Ladder 2 and 3 and spare L-4 (then)

Yonkers Ladder 70 / 73 / 74 spare L-69 (then)

White Plains Ladder 33 (then)

Harrison Ladder 24 (then)

Mamaroneck Ladder 21 (then and now)

Rye Ladder 25 / 26 (Only one now)

Portchester Ladder 31 (then and now)

Hasting Ladder 22 (then and now)

Dobbs Ferry Ladder 23 (then)

That is all I can recall anyone with more please add on.

Edited by CPAGE

New Rochelle at one time operated only tillers;

Ladder 11 out of Church, then Harrison Streets, was a 50's Seagrave (?) tiller that carried the scars of the Crabtree Chrysler Dealership explosion, circa 1971, on its right side for the duration of its service;

Ladder 12 , out of Webster Avenue, was a Maxim tiller, (I took my agility test on Ladder 12- the last fly had no side railings. It was like climbing out onto an unsupported roof ladder at 70 feet);

Ladder 13 was an American LaFrance out of North Avenue and the last NRFD tiller to remain in service, and that old American LaFrance Ladder 14 must have been the spare out of Harrison Street.

http://www.emtbravo.lunarpages.com/SpecFea...le.htmlHarrison Street.

EASTCHESTER ALSO RAN TWO TILLERS, I BELIEVE BOTH WERE PRE WWII SEAGRAVES. ONE WAS STILL AROUND AS A SPARE IN THE EARLY 80'S. CURRENTLY OPERATE A REAR MOUNT 100' SEAGRAVE-L16; AND L-17 MID MOUNT 95' TOWER LADDER.

Mt Vernon ran 3 tillers, all American LaFrance until they replaced Truck 1 (county 61) with a Snorkal. Then eventually migrated away from tillers to you have todays fleet.

Sorry this may have been done in the past. I was looking at old pic's and had the idea for the thread.

So here is what I remember from then (80's) and now.

FDMV              Ladder 2 and 3 and spare L-4    (then)

Yonkers          Ladder 70 / 73 / 74 spare L-69  (then)

White Plains    Ladder 33                                (then)

Harrison          Ladder 24                                (then)

Mamaroneck    Ladder 21                                (then and now)

Rye                  Ladder 25 / 26                          (Only one now)

Portchester      Ladder 31                                (then and now)

Hasting            Ladder 22                                  (then and now)

Dobbs Ferry    Ladder 23                                  (then)

That is all I can recall anyone with more please add on.

Ladder 20 is the tiller in Mamaroneck.

Rye up until a few months ago had Ladder 26 as a tiller but is now OOS for good and being replaced with a rearmount seagrave. and Harrison before TL24 was a tiller.

If I remember right White Plains Ladder 32 was a tiller in the late 70s to early 80s.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt WP run all tillers prior to the tower ladder arrival around 80 or so?

Edited by 210

If I remember right White Plains Ladder 32 was a tiller in the late 70s to early 80s.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt WP run all tillers prior to the tower ladder arrival around 80 or so?

Yes they had a great fleet of Maxim's. They also so where a part of a kids book in the 70's when they had fire helmet like Jonny and Roy had and grey uniforms.

Chris

So far as I know, Hastings is still around, so is Port Chester.

Rockland (slightly off topic) also runs quite a number of tillers, two in Nyack (See also: http://www.rocklandfires.com/smfrc2/index....opic,255.0.html)

10-98 (Empire H&L, Nyack) has run Seagrave TDAs since the 30's, and quints since the 50's.

10-99 (Chelsea H&L, Nyack) ran a pair of ALFs dating back to 1955 before their current 1999 Pierce Quantum TDA. Beautiful rigs, no? wink.gif

Suffern H&L runs 19-99, which is a 1973 Seagrave TDA (but looks like a Sutphen from its headlights). Prior to that they ran a 1937 Seagrave 75' TDA.

And then there's Rescue H&L, Haverstraw, with 4-99, a beautiful 1969 Pirsch 100'. They also still have their 1937 75' Pirsch as an antique!

Hope this helps!

-Joe DA BUFF

Those pic's in the childrens book from White Plains shows the old Ladder 32(Truck 1) tiller,which ran out of fire headquarters, and ,if I remember correctly,Ladder 33(Old Truck 2)They were Maxim's and WP gave em the old heave ho in the early 90's.Ahhh the good ol' days with tiller trucks.They say tillering was the best job on the FD,you didnt have to know the streets, you just had to play follow the leader.I'd have to agree it was alot of fun.

I remember Ladder 34 was an open cab Maxim and the other two were closed.