Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Why Do We Have Homeless Veterans?

8 posts in this topic

I was in Manhattan this evening.

Something came into my mind.

Why are there homeless veterans in this country? How can we let those who have fought for the lifestyle and securities we have in this country go homeless and hungry on a street?

Now, I am aware that some is caused by mental illness, etc, but that's not always the case.

I find this disgusting that we let our nations veterans suffer while we decide on how big of a plasma TV we should get, or how big or fast our cars can be.

Our VA's are rotting away, even with a whole new generation of veterans coming out of Iraq.

Our veterans should be cherished and well taken care of. There should be ample employment, food, shelter, and healthcare for each and every one of them....and not a single one should go forgotten. This isn't only a responsibilty of us, this is a responsiblity of our politicians, many of whom nowadays haven't even seen time in the service.

Well put Seth!

I agree with you 100% that our Veterans deserve the best we can offer them. Services that they deserve are available through the Veterans Administration and we as (what should be) grateful citizens should always do what we can to help.

That being said, it really disheartens me to see the Government consistently reducing and terminating the valuable services offered by the VA. For several years now, the VA Campus in Montrose has been teetering on the chopping block. WHY? How can we close down what I feel is essential services to the men and women that have given their all to defend those rights we all take for granted?

I have the utmost respect for all of our veterans, and can only hope everyone else does too. Especially those in government that seem to neglect the vets, despite everything they have fought for to give THEM (the politicians) something to represent!

Good topic!

Far too much bureaucracy. Far too many veterans fall through the cracks because of government oversight and its only when third parties (like media outlets or veteran affairs organizations) get involved that the VA takes the time to go back and look the individual cases, even then there is no guarantee these guys and girls will get what they deserve. It surely is a sad situation. However, more recently i have seen third parties begin to pick up the slack the government has left behind. There are a few organizations that build homes for veterans, especially those badly disabled, free of charge. I guess the best thing any of us can do is make donations or give someone a few bucks if we see them in the street.

. I guess the best thing any of us can do is make donations or give someone a few bucks if we see them in the street.

That's what I do. I give them the money directly. Maybe sometimes I'm being duped, maybe sometimes they buy alchol with it, but at least it's going directly to them and I hope bringing some help into their day. Even $5 goes a LONG way for these guys, or even a nice cup of hot coffee.

Why are there homeless veterans in this country? How can we let those who have fought for the lifestyle and securities we have in this country go homeless and hungry on a street?

Now, I am aware that some is caused by mental illness, etc, but that's not always the case.

I find this disgusting that we let our nations veterans suffer while we decide on how big of a plasma TV we should get, or how big or fast our cars can be.

Our VA's are rotting away, even with a whole new generation of veterans coming out of Iraq.

Our veterans should be cherished and well taken care of. There should be ample employment, food, shelter, and healthcare for each and every one of them....and not a single one should go forgotten. This isn't only a responsibilty of us, this is a responsiblity of our politicians, many of whom nowadays haven't even seen time in the service.

I feel what you feel ! Hundreds of people march into Black Friday with out a thought of what they spend while walking past a vet that gave his life, whether it was taken in war or taken from him/her through the war and what they saw or what they had to endure.

when you drive through the campus at montrose and you see the vacant buildings you wonder how long it will take for one of the major builders to cut a deal with the fed govt. directly across the river the west shore is being developed basically taking the access to the river away from many. many services have been cut from the montrose VA campus over the years. my fear over the past year is that the campus will turn into a homeless shelter with a minimum amt of vets living there such as the unpopular camp laguardia in chester. hopefully when the new shelter opens in montrose it is for the returning vets to get back into society and not a unsupervised flop house. i am wondering what will take place there especially since the VA hired a good amount of police officers, time will tell!!! don't forget about the aging vets that rely on the montrose campus,thousands from the hudson valley go there, if they eliminate montrose then the vets will have to go into the bronx or elsewhere.....

You are absolutely right about our veterans however with all the money this country gives away to the rest of the world we should be ashamed that any American is homeless.

No one should be homeless in this county, especially those who served for this country!