Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Whitehouse Rescue Squad, NJ

10 posts in this topic

I like how the Rescue Squad performs the extrications....imagine if the VAC's did that here??

LOL, yeah Chris i said the same exact thing! I think the way they run things is actually great! My friend who is a member there saud that their members call fire trucks "road-cones," because thats all that they are used for, to block traffic! They are pretty much self-sufficient for most MVA's. Its definately a cool concept, but i'd have to wonder how it would work here. I mean, i'm a member of a VAC, i used to be a member of 2 VAC's, but i don't know how well it would work. Hell, i remember going on a call for a pedestrian struck by a train, but we had to gain access through County park land. The crew on the ambulance were like "oh, we have to call the fire department." I told them to hold that thought, went to the rear cabinet, grabbed the halligan & had the lock off and gate open within no-time lol. I just think that members in a lot of VACs are so used to relying on outside help for those not-so-routine calls. I can also think of 2 other instances where gaining entry to a patient was a problem, once in a private residence & the other in a nursing facility. Instead of using the tools they had, they automatically wanted to call the FD. I just think its a waste of resources & you don't need a parade of fire trucks & 20 firemen in full turn-outs for a forcible-entry call. I would love to see VAC's run as "rescue-squads" and carry-out extrication duties and other specialized rescue incidents.

Pretty awesome rescue squad. It would be nice to have a full compliment of extrication tools on the bus for vehicular extrications or forcible entry, but like BFD1054 said many people in VAC's get a little nervous on those "not-so-routine" calls. Plus it sounds like they have a paid crew, and you cannot always gaurantee getting enough help on a serious MVA. But it would definately be cool to have an EMS Squad and a rescue truck like that for an ambulance corp!

Not a bad concept, but do any of these rigs have pumps/water?

At an MVA, the vehicle(s) involved may be damaged to a minor degree, however the fuels of these vehicles are flammable and/or explosive, given the right conditions. If every EMS rig in Westchester ran with hydarulic extrication tools, that would be great. But what about protecting ourselves? Having at least one handline in place in the event something goes wrong can't be overlooked. That's why I've never been a huge fan of Police ESU that do extrication without FD assistance - it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

And let's not forget, people carry the oddest of things in their cars, some of these car accidents and even car fires we respond to everyday are a ticking time-bomb. Check the cargo EVERYTIME!

Not being involved with a local VAC I can answer this question first hand but here we go anyway....

When there's a motor vehicle accident in some areas of the county covered by a separate VAC, does the FD always respond? From what I understand, the answer is no. The FD only gets toned out if there's entrapment or fluids involved.

If every ambulance in the county carried extrication equiptment it could be good but let me ask this....

The VAC gets called for an MVA with entrapment. The ambulance responds with a crew of three (driver, tech and attendant). The ambulance is also fully equipted with a hurst tool.

Now the question. How can a crew of three effectivly preform patient care along with packaging while cutting the car and mitigating any other hazards that might be involved? Then, once the patient is removed from the vehicle, boarded, collared and loaded, who's going to pick up the tool, cribbing and such?

It seems like overall, you would be taking away from patient care to preform the other funcitons.

How many departments make it protocol that they stretch and CHARGE a handline in the even of a problem during extrication. How about stretched but not charged (show long dioes charging a hand line actually take?). It drives me nuts when we do some extrications and I think to mysell, why is there no handline?

I'm glad to see that many of you have taken the time to look at this website and haven even taken the time to comment on this whole "EMS Squad" concept. DMA stated that it sounds like they have paid staffing and the answer is yes. However, their squad is only staffed by paid personnel during the daytime. I am not sure how many paid personnel are on duty during the day shift, nor do i know their level of certification (EMT, Medic, etc.). I know they have "normal" rigs for transport, but their two rescue units are primarily for extrication and such. I believe they role both on an MVA. Also, some of you have inquired on wheather their rigs have pumps and that, i am not sure of. I will talk to my friend and ask her some more in-depth questions and get back to you guys. I actually didn't think of the water issue at first, but a line should be stretched and charged during any extrication, as many of you said. As Remember585 said, these MVAs & car fires may be timb-bombs waiting to go off! You don't know what these people are carrying in their vehicles. They could have just returned from getting their propane tank filled for thier barbeque grill or a nitrous tank for those "fast and furious" types out there lol! Anyway, i totally agree, there should be no reason why a line isn't pulled and charged for extrication. I will have to find out more and see their SOPs for this stuff lol!

Well in Croton, if we're on scene of a motor vehicle accident with a considerable amount of damage, extrication in progress, or multiple fluids leaking or gas fumes are definately in the air, a precaustionary handline is stretched for the safety of the membership. Most times a line is stretched it is also charged with a man steadfast at the pump and at least one on the nozzle.

VERY COOL WEB PAGE... :D =D> 8)