Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NJ FF/EMS and U.S. Marine, 20, killed in Iraq

7 posts in this topic

So young, very sad news. My condolences to his family, friends, Carlstadt FD, Wallington EMS and USMC family.

New Jersey Firefighter Killed Serving in Iraq

SUSAN NICOL KYLE

Firehouse.Com News

Flags throughout Wallington, N.J. are flying at half mast as the community remembers a U.S. Marine killed in Iraq.

Michael Schwarz volunteered at Wallington Emergency Squad, and the Carlstadt Fire Company.

"He was just a happy-go-lucky guy. He would help wherever and whoever he could," said Lt. David Popek, who worked with Schwarz at the squad.

Popek recalled that Schwarz, 20, had been injured on at least three previous occasions, but returned to duty in Iraq.

"Everyone here is so broken up about it," he said, describing the community as very close-knit. "This is such a tremendous loss."

Popek said Schwarz was part of an EMS crew nominated for a valor award after successfully resuscitating a patient.

Schwarz was one of those people who genuinely enjoyed being part of the community. "He had a bubbly personality. That's what everyone will say..."

We are sad to inform you that Carlstadt, New Jersey FF Michael Schwarz was killed in the line of duty in Iraq yesterday [11.27.2006]. Mike was a member of Carlstadt Engine Company #2, along with his father, past chief Ken Schwarz and his brother Frank Schwarz who is a Lieutenant. Mike was also a member of the Wallington (NJ) FD Emergency Squad. Our deepest respect and condolences go out to the family and friends of Mike....along with our sincere appreciation to him and all who serve our Country's military.

I'm sure you've been issued a rifle by now and have had a beer with chesty. Rest in peace brother. Thank you for your service to our country, to me and to the world.

May his family find peace during this difficult time. May they know, that their loved one did not perish alone but with his brothers by his side. God bless all of you.