Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Flashing White Stobe Lights On School Buses?

13 posts in this topic

OK, first I saw of this was when I lived in MA in 2003.

Now, I'm starting to see these buses in Westchester and Fairfield.

School buses with a single white strobe beacon towards the rear roof flashing when the school bus is driving around/in motion.

Is this a new law? What is the point of this besides annoying me?

SETH IT'S CALLED THE GARVEY'S BILL. IT IS A SAFETY STROBE TO ALERT DRIVERS OF SCHOOL BUSES. THERE IS A BIG ARTICLE ON THE WEB ABOUT IT

There were a few in CT with this but all new buses do not have it. I think it was a federal DOT idea to make buses carrying school children more visible and the strobe off when no riders were on the bus being out of service of transport. Of course like no one knows that a chrome yellow and black stripe bus is a school bus.

House OKs Rep. Garvey's bill to require strobe lights on roofs of new school buses

STATE HOUSE -- Even in optimum conditions -- clear days and dry pavement -- children riding in or getting onto or off school buses can be at risk from other drivers. State law requires drivers to stop for school buses with flashing lights but sometimes even those can be difficult to see, depending on weather or road conditions.

"The thick fog can roll into South County in a matter of minutes," said Rep. Eugene F. Garvey (D-Dist. 81) of Charlestown, New Shoreham and South Kingstown. "In an instant, the distance necessary to see flashing lights on a school bus is shortened considerably. And considering some of the winding, country roads on which the buses run, the situation can become even more potentially dangerous."

In an effort to make school buses more obvious to other drivers, and to keep children on the buses safer, Representative Garvey has sponsored legislation requiring all new school buses to be equipped with a roof-mounted, rear-facing white flashing strobe light.

The bill (2000-H 7163Aaa) was approved overwhelming by the House earlier this month and sent to the Senate for consideration. It was co-sponsored by Rep. Joseph M. McNamara (D-Dist. 29) of Warwick, Rep. Raymond Coelho (D-Dist. 85) of East Providence, Rep. Henry Rose (D-Dist. 84) of East Providence and Rep. Melvoid J. Benson (D-Dist. 45) of North Kingstown.

Strobe lights of this kind, said Representative Garvey, are part of the nation minimum standards for school buses. But because the cost of equipping an old bus is so high ($500) compared to the $125 extra cost for a new school bus with a strobe light already installed, Representative Garvey's legislation requires the new fixture only on new buses purchased by the various municipalities or firms that contract with school districts.

"Ten to 15 percent of school buses are replaced every year. In two to three years, nearly half of the school bus fleet is new. In about six years, then, every school bus in our state will be equipped with the strobe light," he said. Such a phase-in, he said, will also give drivers time to become educated to the existence of the lights.

The legislation sets specific guidelines for the size and location of the strobe light and also requires that the light be wired to activate with the amber flashing signal lamps on the bus, continuing through the full loading and unloading cycle. In addition, the lights will have an override switch to allow activation of the strobe at any time for use in inclement weather.

"The safety and well-being of every child on every school bus in our state is of prime concern to me," said Representative Garvey. "I am confident the installation of strobe lights can make a difference and can keep out children that much safer."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here in florida we have had them since i could remember all the way back to 94'

There is no New York State law or regulation that requires the installation of white strobes on school buses. However, there is in Florida.

In Westchester, I think that the only cheeseboxes upon which I have seen the white strobes are some of the Lakeland School District buses as well as First Transit buses. First Transit is a large, national firm, purchases buses in bulk and gets them installed at the factory.

What I don't understand is what part of yellow paint and flashing red lights don't drivers see that would require the addition of a white strobe !

There is no New York State law or regulation that requires the installation of white strobes on school buses.  However, there is in Florida.

In Westchester, I think that the only cheeseboxes upon which I have seen the white strobes are some of the Lakeland School District buses as well as First Transit buses.  First Transit is a large, national firm, purchases buses in bulk and  gets them installed at the factory.

What I don't understand is what part of yellow paint and flashing red lights don't drivers see that would require the addition of a white strobe !

There are other bus companies that run with white strobes.....Bedford Central School District has buses with white strobes

I know because I take the bus to school every day and it annoys me too

Edited by bvfdjc316

Bedford Central School District has two or three new Chevrolet and GMC mini buses that they are trying them out on...for one thing, they are BRIGHT!

Is there any association with a roof mounted light and an on board camera system? (Just wondering)

LOL. Some of the questions about having a single strobe light on a bus cracks me up.

What can't a motorist see with a base NFPA 1901 lighting package that many departments add the laser light show to?

Why are more and more apparatus being striped with the safety stripe in the rear?

Why are many departments keeping LED's or an arrow stick operating on the back of fire apparatus in amber when all the other emergency lights are off?

Garbage trucks have more lights on them when driving around then school buses...even with that single strobe. How could you miss a yellow, orange or white garbage truck? Heck even the green ones a lot of private haulers operate aren't that easy to miss.

Why?

SAFETY. It increases safety, visibility and awareness.

Why not take it further and require buses to have the safety stripe in the rear as well?

One thing that caught my eye...$125 for it to be added to new buses? I should have bought a bunch of strobes...that's ridiculous cost to run the wire, make the appropriate power connections and then the strobe light itself. wow.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Strobe lights on school buses are option here in New York, but many school districts and contractors get them installed. Here are a few of the operators in the Hudson Valley region who spec them:

- Monroe-Woodbury CSD (Wired to the ignition, always on)

- Byram Hills CSD (Switch)

- Lakeland CSD (Switch)

- Bedford CSD (Switch)

- Brewster (CSD)

- First Student (Wired to the ignition on some, others switch)

- Hendrick Hudson CSD (Switch)

I work in the bus business, and personally, I think the strobes should be activated only in poor weather conditions, or when making dangerous stops. When the strobes are used all the time, it makes the buses much too noticeable, IMHO.

BTW, here is one of Byram Hill's new units, pictured on my website:

http://schoolbuscentral.com/gallery/update...h/6_06c2_ny.htm

As far as I know, there is no such law in New Jersey. It's an interesting idea, however I haven't seen any school buses around with strobes yet. I did see a GMC mini bus with amber strobes on the grille about 6 months ago though. I have no idea what they were for.