Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Lake Mohegan Utility 75 & 80

9 posts in this topic

I am VERY dissapointed in our Mohegan members of this site!

I open this month of First Responder Newspaper, wade through all the ads and the upstates news, and what do I find?

2 new 2006 Ford Explorers for the Lake Mohegan FD, Utility 75 & 80, that are apparently being used for EMS responses.

Does anyone have photos or more information on the use of these new vehicles?

Sorry Seth!

The new utilities are in fact used for ems response. The vehicles are equiped w/ first response ems equipment and an air pack w/ spare bottle. U75 is located at the JV Station and U80 is located at the Furnace Woods Station. The reason to purchase such vehicles is to cut down in everyday wear and tear on the fire apparatus responding on ems calls (approx. 2,000 per year).

Seth-

I'd seen those on LFD171's site before myself! Perhaps you should blame me.... Ah well.

-Joe DA BUFF

Like cg206 said, these utilities were ordered and set up to respond to ems calls, Before the purchase of 75 and 80, we were using engines out of 2 of our stations, the new utilities will cut down on wear and tear on our already beat up engines. I will get some pics of these and post them for all to see.

Thanks for the explanation. It's a progressive idea, especially with the amount of EMS runs the LMFD does. It sures beats down an expensive piece of equipment meant for firefighting at that volume, but on the same token, other cities use an engine all the time.

How does the staffing work though? Does the engine go out of service when the utilities go into service?

As it works now we have 4 stations each with 2 pieces of apparatus and an utility. Ona ems call we will send u40 from headquarters and the closest utility froma substation. So yes the substation that responds with the utility is technically out of service due to it having 1 carreer firefighter there during each shift.

As it works now we have 4 stations each with 2 pieces of apparatus and an utility. Ona ems call we will send u40 from headquarters and the closest utility froma substation. So yes the substation that responds with the utility is technically out of service due to it having 1 carreer firefighter there during each shift.

what if you have mutiple ems calls do you take mutiple engines out of service? is there a limit to what point the engine would role instead of the utility? and if there is a structural call in that utilites 1st due area there must be a delay in having to clear the scene return to quarters and respond or send the next closest company?

just wondering how it works. it seems mabe there are advantages and disadvanages but could work in some areas depending on staffing and the size of the responce area.

just wondering how it works. it seems mabe there are advantages and disadvanages but could work in some areas depending on staffing and the size of the responce area.

We grappled with this in my department. It was decided that the best thing to do was use the engines for EMS response to keep them available for fire response at all times.

As it stands now we have 4 firehouses in our district. The main house is manned by 3 career firefighters, and each substation is manned by 1 career firefighter. The closest utility to the call location responds for ems. The utility from headquarters will normally go and man the substation. In the case that the vac already has a crew in quarters and responds right away the utility will 99% of the time get returned. In the case of multiple ems calls or a structural call whatever apparatus is on the road in that area will take the call in.