Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ergonomic hosebed

14 posts in this topic

Who knew packing hose could be this much fun

That's gotta be the next best thing to having a reel. You definitely lose some tank and compartment space with it though.

Our new Smeal Quint has something similar, but the bed is entirely enclosed within the body of the truck, since, or course, there is a ladder turntable up above. There is a flip up door on the rear of the vehicle to access the hose bed, and the entire bed extends straight on out the back, then lowers a bit (I think).

It must be nice when it works but like anything else once it breaks will it be fixed. unsure.gif

well it is an interesting design, and it does take up tank space BUT, what happens if it gets stuck..... ohmy.gif

The bed also doesn't look like it holds a lot of hose either. The bed doesn't look that deep and it goes back on an angle.

are they packing or unloading the hose? never saw it go under the rig

I dont think that it goes under the rig it is just a hosebead that comes down to allow you to stack it easier. When you are finished It goes back up top, Not under. Hope that clarifies it for you

Acctually, the driver pulls foward so you (HOPEFULLY) don't run anyone over as you load the hose.

are they packing or unloading the hose? never saw it go under the rig

Scott, they are picking it up by running over the middle of the hose, as was mentioned, it is safer to go foreword then back up to pick it up. it isnt to often that you have that much room to work so it goes on which ever way is easiest at the time smile.gif

To me it is just one more thing on the rig to break down, and i talked to a rep, he stated if it does, you have to crank it back into place, AFTER YOU REMOVE ALL THE HOSE FROM IT !!

Smeal's design is far better than the Pack Mule by Pierce since you don't loose tanks space and compartment space, basically you loose the rear compartment tunnel area. St. Louis was the first to utilize this design back in the later 80's early 90's when they started purchasing quints, Smeal's first generation design.

Smeal has sold a lot or the EZL but Pierce has only sold a few of their design, nor really that great of a design in my opinion. Pierce does have a new flat ladder rack mounded in a "open coffin box" compartment that rolls off the back like the European design pumpers store their ladders, that is a good idea.

Not a bad idea, I've seen it a couple times on demos. You don't lose that much tank space, using a 500 gallon tank like most of us non-rural water supply persons. Also you can get a fair amount of hose on there. At least 1000' of 5". And from what I've seen you lose no compartment space. Everyone always talks about that, sometimes its not how much compartment space you have, its how much you waste with inefficient mounting.