Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Breaking In New Leather Boots

12 posts in this topic

Guys,

I just got my very first pair of leather firefighting boots, the Warrington Pros, after hearing about how comfortable they are and make driving and climbing easier.

However, my new boots are very stiff right now.

What's a quick (and prefferably easy) way to break in a new pair of leather boots?

Edited by x635

polishing them makes the leather soften up nice. I have also seen people put soda bottles, (2L) in the boots to stretch out the back ankle area, as they tend to get stuck easily.

also, Haix makes a great leather fire boot, i would urge you to check them out. very comfortable, and a series of insoles incase you have no arch, a high arch, etc.

Just wear them around the firehouse. You look goofy but they wills soften up in time. Also make sure you take them off with the little wood gadget it comes with, it extends the life of the boots tremendously.

Coffee cans are a good way to stretch them out too.

If you can, put them near a boiler or furnace - the heat will loosen them up a bit. The all leather ones get stiff as hell in the cold weather.

Remember too, with the leather boots don't take them off by stepping on the heel of the boot to get out of it. Over time you can damage the boot significantly.

Just watch those boots in the real cold weather, the sole seems to get stiff and traction becomes a little rough.

One last thought, I went through a few pairs of those boots because I ripped the loops out of them. the reason, I think, is because the boot was too tight and when I was pulling them up I tore them right out.

I had the same problem when I first got a pair of leather boots. Until they got a good soaking while you are working in them they will feel stiff and not that all comfortable, similar to the rubber boot just lighter. After that job where they get soaked, they will fit and feel like a well worn work boot.

Not trying hijack this thread, but What does everyone do for the tips of the boots? They are constantly getting scuffed up and worn down, do you polish them with regular polish? is there some special treatment that has to go on? I know they make protectors for them... Just wondering what everyone else does?

For my turnout coat I put it in the dryer on tumble without heat.Maybee that will work for your boots.

Also you can try bending them back and forth or bend them in one position and put a heavy duty rubberband around it as you would with a new baseball glove. But I think that would just be the same as walking around in them as a methood someone mentioned.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Not trying hijack this thread, but  What does everyone do for the tips of the boots?  They are constantly getting scuffed up and worn down, do you polish them with regular polish? is there some special treatment that has to go on?  I know they make protectors for them... Just wondering what everyone else does?

You don't do anything, except maybe duck taping the toes when you're training so you don't cause extra undue wear. Other than that, I think you'll find that the tip's just gonna be scuffed and beat up. Other parts of the boot will fail and you'll need new ones before you wear out the toe.

The loops comming off the leather boots was a defect on a lot of them. When FDNY started going to the leathers from rubber, almost all of the boots had the loops pull off. Haven't noticed this as a problem in recent years, my take a beating and the havn't pulled off yet.

As far as the toes that have a new design out, which has teeth on top of the toe to prevent them from breaking down as quick.

These are the boots I now have. I love these.

user posted image

Warrington Pro 5000 - I believe they are made of Kevlar and have a heavy duty toe covering. Really light and very comfortable.

Guys,

I just got my very first pair of leather firefighting boots, the Warrington Pros, after hearing about how comfortable they are and make driving and climbing easier.

However, my new boots are very stiff right now.

What's a quick (and prefferably easy) way to break in a new pair of leather boots?

Seth you really have to wear them at a job or at live fire training where they get exposed to some water and you are really moving around in them. This stretches the leather out and makes them fit like a glove. I have found that they even shrink up a tiny bit as you get them broken in (the leather seems to shrink a bit after it gets good and wet, then dries out). After a while though you will find that the seams will leak. I have been on the job in the city for almost 7 years and I just got my 3rd pair. I found that they last for about 3 yrs before they start to leak. Once you get them where you like them, you will NOT look forward to getting another pair.

Edited by FDNY99