Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Exhaust Away From The Scene

12 posts in this topic

Yesterday, I saw something that got me thinking.

I've seen this overhead track type of exhaust removal system before, and always thought it would be a pain in the butt to back in with it. I've always though Plymovents were awesome.

But this got me to thinking. Not only does this remove exhaust while in the firehouse, it removes it at the scene as well. The sidestack pipes vent overhead, whereas rigs with Plymovent and other type systems vent to the ground...and the scene area.

[attachmentid=1749]

Plus, sidestack pipes look cool on any apparatus. Gotta have the superficial part too, lol.

post-11-1166020390.jpg

While there are good reasons to have this type of exhaust one drawback would be low trees. Up here in Northern Westchester and Putnam where you have to watch your top mounted ladders. I've never had it happen to me but I have heard where the low trees, especially in rain or snow have ripped ladders off trucks.

Don't get me wrong, I think keeping the exhaust up high is a good thing but this type of system is not for everyone.

I'm a big fan of stacks on all apparatus.

R-36 when the high idle is engaged burps out some nasty stuff and makes it difficult to get equipment out of compartments..... Literally makes your eyes water.

It's not even that its thick smoke like when a diesel is cold, its nearly clear but the mixture of fuel to air in the motor makes for some tough smellin' stuff.

Not for me, I don't like that design personally, I would be afraid of knocking down something or backing into the door with it.

We have them in Beekman which is mostly rural...haven't hit a tree or anything with it yet that I've heard of since I've been a member.

Izzy, I see your point, but how would you back into the door with it if you ensure the door is up? Unless your alone and this is what this is good for, still having an exhaust system when you are operating alone without anyone to hook up the plymouth or nederman style exhaust systems. If the door is a problem you'll take it out, when you pull out the station first.

x635, your best point is it gets it away from the scene. I work often with a department at MVA's and they've often pulled their rescue right up next to the scene and sitting with their exhaust dumping into the cars with personnel and victims inside it.

Additionally, if you get in the habit of having someone sit in an apparatus/ambulance while you run into a store, you often are pumping exhaust into the store/occupancy. CO, CO, CO.

While there are good reasons to have this type of exhaust one drawback would be low trees. Up here in Northern Westchester and Putnam where you have to watch your top mounted ladders. I've never had it happen to me but I have heard where the low trees, especially in rain or snow have ripped ladders off trucks.

Don't get me wrong, I think keeping the exhaust up high is a good thing but this type of system is not for everyone.

Also have to watch out for those larger telephone poles

i personly dont like that design, in our apparatus bay we have exaust systems that hook up to the apparatus exaust to keep the bay clear of fumes, this system works very well and i dont see how it would work with this part.

Yesterday, I saw something that got me thinking.

I've seen this overhead track type of exhaust removal system before, and always thought it would be a pain in the butt to back in with it. I've always though Plymovents were awesome.

But this got me to thinking. Not only does this remove exhaust while in the firehouse, it removes it at the scene as well. The sidestack pipes vent overhead, whereas rigs with Plymovent and other type systems vent to the ground...and the scene area.

[attachmentid=1749]

Plus, sidestack pipes look cool on any apparatus. Gotta have the superficial part too, lol.

Although maybe cool looking this type of exhaust system will be harder to get with the new EPA engines do to high temps. Rescue companies do like to have verticle stack or stacks but the EPA engine's will make it harder to do.

Arrow

The new ambulance ordered for Cortlandt was suppost to have the exhaust that came out on the Driver's side - but if I recall correctly the manufacturer said it couldn't be done.

The new ambulance ordered for Cortlandt was suppost to have the exhaust that came out on the Driver's side - but if I recall correctly the manufacturer said it couldn't be done.

We tried that in Tarrytown as well. Braun wouldn't change the exhaust to the driver's side. They stated the chasis came from Ford that way and they wouldn't change it. I always questioned why the exhaust would be on the passenger / sidewalk side of the rig, when we use that side most of the time for patient care.

I think that if you wanted vertical stacks, you would research the idea first to see if :

a] it was a good idea in your response area

b] fit in your station

we recently placed into service a heavy rescue and tanker with vertical exhaust, we run in n. fairfield county and have a both a suburban and rural response area. we have hgad no problems.

our main concern was the bays and a railroad bridge. we cannot have any rig over 10'1" so our exhaust has to be low and not stick up as high.

we also use a plymovent set up and this works out well .

For a rescue truck with a cascade, this is an ideal set up as it keeps your exhausrt away from the intake and bottle changing area.

with our tanker, it keeps the exhaust pipe away from the folding tanks if we are in a multiple drop tank operation.