Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Old Tanker 5 Reappears!

27 posts in this topic

Well, passing through Bedford Hills today, I noticed the old Tanker 5 back at BHFD's HQ's.

Last I knew, this unit was given to the Bedford Highway Department, and was living in their garage.

Did they give it back, and what's going to be the disposition of the old T-5?

[attachmentid=1768]

post-11-1166403827.jpg

My next favorite International Tanker 5 (Avon, CT is first, but only because of the mural on her.)

Glad to see she wasn't left for the scrapper. That Tanker should still have some good years in her, no?

Cool. Bedford Hills has/had some Awesome Apparatus.

-Joe DA BUFF

P.S. Semi-on-topic, how many Districts run two or more tankers? I know Somers does... (Engine 188 and Tanker 16?), Mohegan... who else?

Bedford highway department doesn't want the truck anymore. It sat in the same spot ever since we gave it to them so i guess they gave it back...so now as far as i know it is going out to bid. I have heard that bedford village was over looking at it and had some intrest in it but i have no clue how true that is. Few of us were joking because we also have the old 2031 sitting in the parking lot, we could sell them as a package. Somthing like "buy the old 2031, get a free tanker!"

and to 10 buff 4, she is a bit rusty and needs some work but yeah, still has a little service time left

Edited by Firefighter57

What was the Town of Bedford Highway Dept. going to do with it?

It's funny that this should come up, considering I was just talking about this with Firefighter57 the other day...I dont believe that Bedford Highway had much, or any use for it. This truck, which actually was not garaged, has been sitting for months outside rusting at the Adams street highway department lot.It is assumed that the truck could still be used as a back up tanker for Bedford Hills, and I say assumed because the tank may be leaking unsure.gif

The Highway Dept. was going to use it to Pretreat the Main Roads with a Salt, Calcium Mixture in the Winter and All dirt roads in the Summer with Brine mixture for Dust Control.

The Cost to Convert Tank to be able to do this,and other maintence that truck needed they decided not to do it.

Thanks for the info guys.

Although after sitting at the highway garage for a couple of years, and given it's age, I'm sure the former T-5 needs some TLC.

BUT, BHFD keeps their apparatus in such excellent condition, and this tanker is so compact really making it a very versatile unit, it would be a great unit for a department in need of a tanker that can't afford a new one, or even a department looking for a "tactical tanker" that can get right close to the scene.

If BHFD was willing to donate to the DPW, I wonder if they would be willing to donate the rig to the county as a spare.

There are a relatively small number of tankers in Westchester for the amount of hydrantless area. If one tanker goes down it's a big deal. When Tanker 10 was OOS after the wreck, it really left the west side of Millwood in a pickle. Tanker 14 is the next due rig and it's got to come from YFD HQ. Tankers 12, 16, 5, 6, & 11 all have pretty good runs to make before they can make it to the Spring Valley Road / Glendale area of Millwood.

SO I'm not suggesting having a huge pool of spares available as 99% of the departments either have more than enough internal engine, truck, rescue resources or the surrounding areas are saturated with rigs that can make a reasonable mutual aid response...... BUT from a tanker standpoint, having a spare fills a need that can't be filled very easily.

Just to clear things up...Mohegan does not run any tankers. All our engines have a maximum tank capacity of 500 gal. This because mostly all our district has hydrants except for, obviously, the TSP.

Just to clear things up...Mohegan does not run any tankers. All our engines have a maximum tank capacity of 500 gal. This because mostly all our district has hydrants except for, obviously, the TSP.

My bad. Sorry about that, I didn't realize how prevalent hydrants were in Mohegan, it kinda reminded me of a local district near me.

-Joe DA BUFF

No biggie...didn't wanna see anybody get confused

Good point on long runs for mutual aid tankers given the vast territory of non-hydranted areas in Westchester County. What about automatic aid tankers being dispatched simultaneously on the first alarm assignment on certain structural calls to cut down on the response times? Unless it is a room and contents fire, you will likely be calling them anyway. And it is a wonderful site to see that automatic aid tanker showing up about the same time as your own.

Good point on long runs for mutual aid tankers given the vast territory of non-hydranted areas in Westchester County.  What about automatic aid tankers being dispatched simultaneously on the first alarm assignment on certain structural calls to cut down on the response times?  Unless it is a room and contents fire, you will likely be calling them anyway.  And it is a wonderful site to see that automatic aid tanker showing up about the same time as your own.

Several Departments have response assignments like that. I know Bedford has one for all structural fires they get at least two tankers right off the bat. Other Departments (mine included) have tankers responding upon confirmation or at the IC's discretion. Like you said, call 'em and return 'em if you don't need 'em.

I was coming home from my trip to McDonalds in Bedford Hills about a week and a half ago, and while i was sitting at the light in front of the BHFD HQ i noticed the Bedford Village chief car parked next to the old T-5. When i drove by i saw quite a few people around the old T-5. I think BVFD is interested. This is a beautiful rig, and i think they should be able to get quite a few years out of her.

I don't think that's where it is headed.....I hear it may be going a little more south.

The old Tanker 5 is headed over to pleasntville and will be stationed at Daniel P Hays Hose.

The old Tanker 5 is headed over to pleasntville and will be stationed at Daniel P Hays Hose.

Tanker 17?

I'm pretty sure its not headed over to us...we dont have a place to put it! And as Remember585 said, we have tankers at our disposal. Pound Ridge and Banksville are on auto on one side of town, with Bedford Hills and Katonah on the other.

I also heard P'Ville --- just through the grapevine though ---

I heard that rumor as well...it is just a rumor for now. I f anything does happen I'm sure Pville2371 will let us know.

All this water talk prompted a couple of questions...

Do you use existing water supplies (lakes, streams. reservoirs, etc.) for drafting?

Are you allowed to use reservoirs as a water source for fire suppression? I've heard that the DEC goes crazy in other parts of the state if you try that.

Just curiosity questions from a non-fire type! smile.gif

OK, now all this water talk prompted... Well, let's just say I'll read the replies later! unsure.gif

I know for a fact it going to P'Ville My granfather is car 2372 over there and there waiting on the delivery of it.

P'Ville is lucky...shes a nice rig. Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

All this water talk prompted a couple of questions...

Do you use existing water supplies (lakes, streams. reservoirs, etc.) for drafting?

Are you allowed to use reservoirs as a water source for fire suppression?  I've heard that the DEC goes crazy in other parts of the state if you try that.

Just curiosity questions from a non-fire type!  smile.gif

OK, now all this water talk prompted...  Well, let's just say I'll read the replies later!    unsure.gif

2371 and ny10570 could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe P'ville has a couple small ponds but mostly relies on hyrdants and a source pumper for tanker operations. The tanker should be very helpfull in areas like Locust, Hardscrabble, Skytop, and I think thats it.

2371 and ny10570 could correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe P'ville has a couple small ponds but mostly relies on hyrdants and a source pumper for tanker operations.  The tanker should be very helpfull in areas like Locust, Hardscrabble, Skytop, and I think thats it.

That is correct Partyrock. Locust and Skytop have hydrants, but very low pressure. Parts of Hardscabble (lower section near Pleasantville Road) has hydrants. Outer part has nothing. Before I left Pville, some of the pre-fire plans for Locust had R-47 as a relay pumper, utilizing 5" hose from E-259 (most likely now E-91), E-260, and Briarcliff. A Tanker would also help tremendously on Round Hill Road, near the Briarcliff border off Pleasantville Road, which requires a lay of hose out to Briarcliff HS with an engine pumping off the Hydrant (usually R47, again).

Eng47ine, sorry, did not know your connection to Pleasantville Command staff. smile.gif

Edited by grumpyff

About 2 years ago some of the brass in Pleasantville starting working with us in Millwood to begin running Tanker 15 in the Western parts of Pleasantville's first due. From what I saw before I left and what I've heard since then, a good relationship has been formed and there is a successful plan in place for water supply operations in that part of town. The addition of the old Tanker 5 (I really want to start calling it Tanker 17) will help greatly.

On a few jobs, it's already been established that T-15 from Millwood and T-12 from Pocantico Hills can be onscene and operating within the timeframe that 2371 wants. They have done cross training so that crews from the departments responding as well as P-Ville know what to expect and how to create successful water supply.

In addition, 2371 has used MA-10 out of Millwood HQ as a source pumper in the past. With 1000ft of 4inch, 750gpm pump (that moves more water than what it's rated for), built on a 4wd superduty chassis, it can establish a continuous water supply just about anywhere there is a body of water.

I'm glad to see all of this coming together for P-Ville. This will also help Chappaqua who has a few sections on the Eastern end of thier district where they need to make huge LDH lays. One broken piece of hose or a bad hydrant and they need help. I know Armonk and Millwood have helped with supply in the past, but having P-Ville's tanker will add another layer of safety for firefighters in the event that they cannot establish a continuous water supply through a long lay from a hydrant.