Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Fire Prevention/Education....Any good ideas?

4 posts in this topic

Fire Prevention Week is coming up just around the corner. This year, Fire Prevention week is October 3-9.

I was just curious if anyone did anything unique during the week & if anyone had some good prevention/education ideas. In Buchanan, we go out to the elementary school, a nursery school & a group home to educate residents/students about fire safety and prevention methods. We also conduct a fire prevention program for senior-citizens at our village hall.

I just wanted to hear from other members to see what thier departments did during this important week. Also, if anyone has any good/unique educational techniques, please share.

I think one of the best things that can be done is to educate our public on all the different skills we are able to provide, while at the same time recruiting new members.

This years NFPA theme is to test the Batteries in your smoke detector.

Doing this is the most important thing a family can do to help prevent a fire related death. Take the time this week.

Change the batteries in your detector. Make sure it works !!

www.nfpa.org

In mamaroneck village we have an engine and a ladder go to each of the nursery and elementary schools. We open all the cabinets, and climb the ladder for the kids. Then we do a powerpoint about all the stuff they saw in the engine and the ladder. Then we teach the young ones stop drop and roll. We also have two firefighters dress up in full gear w/SCBA and crawl around the floor to get the kids familiar with what a FF looks like so they arent scared. We teach them to grab on to the FF and pull really hard. When a child does this at the demo, the FF picks them up and brings them to the front of the class. We tell them that they have been rescued, and the other kids know that all they have to do is tug as hard as they can to be saved.