Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Advice about training book...

3 posts in this topic

Right now I?m reading Safety and Survival on the Fireground by Vincent Dunn. Being a Probationary firefighter is waiting to take the next firefighter survival class this textbook as a lot of information in. Can anyone give me advice about anyone good training book or textbook to read?

Start with IFSTA Essentials of FF anything from IFSTA after that

also Normans Handbook of tactics

I take it you have FF 1. IFSTA sucks, if you want to stay up and read a good basic firefighting book read Jones & Bartlett Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills. There is a good chance the state may switch from using IFSTA for its FF 1 and 2 curriculums to either the Jones and Bartlett or Delmar. Delmar's book is also very good it is the Firefighter's Handbook. Both are superior to IFSTA because they 1. Update and do reprints more often then IFSTA keeping it more up to date. 2. The utilize photos instead of the same cartoon drawings IFSTA's used for the past 3 versions of Essentials. Their curriculum for instructors are also better, with again better powerpoints and layout.

Collapse of Burning Buildings by Vincent Dunn is great and valuable and eye opening information.

Responding to Routine Emergencies by Frank Montagna is also good.

You can get both at the bookstore at the Fire Academy in Montour Falls. I believe there may be a small discount on these, in addition you pay no tax and shipping may still also be free.