Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Securing Your Own Water Source

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to who has a policy that requires each engine operating a line to secure their own, independent water source.

I know the redundancy has it's advantages, but is there any disadvantages?

we dont really have a policy but i am a strong believer of at least two different water sources. for the most part our entire town has a hydrant every 500-1000 feet so catching hydrants is easy. we make every attempt to have each station responding to take an alternate running route to ensure each engine is not approaching the scene the same way. i beleive the first due should have a water source and also an additional engine be positioned if at all possible on the C - side of the building and that hey secure a second hydrant. the only disadvantage is poor pressure in the area and trying to run off 2 hydrants on the same main

Since being in a volunteer town, we always have ran with securing water source but it does not leave out the option of a relay, it depends where the call is and how many engines area coming. Also too since we have hydrants every 500 to 1000 feet in 99.7% of the town, we usually run two engines to a normal residential call and three for high hazard buildings and longer lays (each pumper carried 1500 feet of 5 inch).

We always as I can remember securing our own water supply and having the second due engine either stand by at the hydrant before laying in their line to make sure the ladder truck gets set up and the second pumper feeds the truck company if needed.

Most residential fires can be handled with one engine utilizing LDH and a good water source. In addition to solid policies, SOP/SOGs that discuss utilizing the attack engine as well. Sometimes I've had to play traffic cop to stop people from pulling off lines from an engine simply because it was their "company" despite it not being attached to a hydrant. (More on this later)

The first due (attack) engine IMO should take a hydrant if you are utilizing LDH. There is no reason to relay pump with LDH when most of us have hydrants close together and with the LDH maximizing the hydrants flow. Another engine needs to recognize and be ready to utilize a second hydrant in the event the first one has a problem or failure. As someone stated you must use care not to hit too many hydrants because you will be stealing flow from the other hydrants if they are on the same main and/or grid. I've seen this time and time again. Just because it can pump water doesn't mean it has to because it is there. Good water supply management is just as critical in hydrant areas as rural. Same thing for those of you whom operate individual "companies" in a fire department. Just because your apparatus is there doesn't mean that the line you were ordered, asked or told to stretch has to come off of your engine. Use your brain and see what engine has a hydrant connected and where the first line came off of. If you do not know water supply or resource management, maybe it is time to re-evaluate the colored helmet.

Some disadvantages even though some have been stated:

1. Multiple engines hooking up on the same water main or on the same grid.

2. Multiple lines coming off multiple engines because it has a water source.

3. If you hit it..they will turn it on. Sooner or later someone will charge that 2nd or 3rd hydrant.

Here is how we do it.

First due pump to a fire is fire attack. They do that...The operator will usually be too busy to get water supply but can ready him/herself for it i.e. layout a shorty.

Other pumps and trucks are assigned tasks by the BC as they arrive, usually search, vent and water supply, but not always in that order. We staff @ 18 (four engines (3 ff each), 1 ambulance(2 ff) and one ladder (3ff), and the WF assignment brings a Mutual Aid RIT, EMS and Air/Rescue assignment.

This works for us, and it depends on a number of factors...geography, advancement of the fire, hydrant district, etc.

Here is how we do it.

First due pump to a fire is fire attack. They do that...The operator will usually be too busy to get water supply but can ready him/herself for it i.e. layout a shorty.

Other pumps and trucks are assigned tasks by the BC as they arrive, usually search, vent and water supply, but not always in that order. We staff @ 18 (four engines (3 ff each), 1 ambulance(2 ff) and one ladder (3ff), and the WF assignment brings a Mutual Aid RIT, EMS and Air/Rescue assignment.

This works for us, and it depends on a number of factors...geography, advancement of the fire, hydrant district, etc.