Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Status Of Westchester Tech Rescue Team?

26 posts in this topic

I have seen past post about Westchester Technical Rescue Team does anyone have updated information. Did the receive funding from Westchester county. Do they still drill what are the requirements to join?

Thanks Fitz

As far as I know it is up and running and they meet on the last tuesday of every month. Per the last DES meeting.

To join you need a permission slip or letter from chief , as of right know no training requirements, they will tell you what you need. They are getting training classes going.etc.

Is Westchester buying Syossets Tec Rescue vehicle? I heard they were interested.

who can you contact about joining?

Edited by bigfitz2004

Yeah, we are up and running. The rescue is a maybe but who knows what will happen. We have short meatings with a training after on last tuseday night of the month (like stated) and yes we have funding and are aproved from the county. they just got us some great gear to use. we even have a battalian chief now who does special opps (tech rescue and hazmat). The team is making great head room and is now getting CRTB in for members who need it. from what i've been told, we will get CRTI and CRTA soon. while i am at it, i want to say congrats to Tim and Tom for sticking with their idea and getting it this far. They have both done alot of work and it is going to pay off.

Edited by Firefighter57

How does this unit operate? Will there be one vehicle which is located @ a County building and members will respond to that vehicle? Is this unit going to be used to augment the special operations units that already exist through career departments?

who can you contact about joining?

Just show up at one of the meetings the last tuesday of every month. They will give you all the info you need. Starts at 7pm.

I saw an email from Tim Fisher that said that this month's meeting is on 1/23, not 1/30. I assume that the email is correct, just wanted to put that out there.

Your right and that would be the last tuesday of the month.

Your right and that would be the last tuesday of the month.

I think to srcfd's point, the 23rd is the fourth Tuesday, not the last Tuesday. The 30th is the last Tuesday as there happen to be 5 Tuesday's in January.

MY understanding is that the meetings are the 4th Tuesday of each month.

LOL. Monty. High 5 on that one.

Isn't tech rescue all about attention to detail?

Yeah, we are up and running.  The rescue is a maybe but who knows what will happen.  We have short meatings with a training after on last tuseday night of the month (like stated) and yes we have funding and are aproved from the county.  they just got us some great gear to use. we even have a battalian chief now who does special opps (tech rescue and hazmat).  The team is making great head room and is now getting CRTB in for members who need it.  from what i've been told, we will get CRTI and CRTA soon.  while i am at it, i want to say congrats to Tim and Tom for sticking with their idea and getting it this far.  They have both done alot of work and it is going to pay off.

How many constitutes a team? How many need to be retained throughtout the years to keep a functioning team? Will it work like the Hazmat team?

I think to srcfd's point, the 23rd is the fourth Tuesday, not the last Tuesday. The 30th is the last Tuesday as there happen to be 5 Tuesday's in January.

Yeah srcfd and myself went through this already in a PM. I was wrong... Shoot me.

Edited by HFD750

How many constitutes a team? How many need to be retained throughtout the years to keep a functioning team? Will it work like the Hazmat team?

As far as I know it will be like the hazmat team. As to the number of guys trained, i am not sure on that. My guess would be at least 30 to start running but remember, there is a lot more to tech rescue then high/low angle rescue. Members have to be trained in trench, building collapse, they said they wanted to do cold water/ice rescue, they mentioned something about wilderness rescue, along with some other odds and ends that people need to be trained on. My guess is they want at least 20 people to be fully certified in the main 3; high/low angle, trench, and build collapse before we start responding. Again though, I am not totally sure.

At the moment, I think we have something like 5 or 6 guys who are CRT-A and a bunch who are CRT-B so we still have a ways to go to get everyone trained up.

Hey, anyone know what day the meeting is on? Is it Tuesday?

Hey, anyone know what day the meeting is on?  Is it Tuesday?

Will I ever live this one down? And I think it's on a thursday tongue.gif

Edited by HFD750

As far as I know it will be like the hazmat team.  As to the number of guys trained, i am not sure on that.  My guess would be at least 30 to start running but remember, there is a lot more to tech rescue then high/low angle rescue.  Members have to be trained in trench, building collapse, they said they wanted to do cold water/ice rescue, they mentioned something about wilderness rescue, along with some other odds and ends that people need to be trained on.  My guess is they want at least 20 people to be fully certified in the main 3; high/low angle, trench, and build collapse before we start responding.  Again though, I am not totally sure.

At the moment, I think we have something like 5 or 6 guys who are CRT-A and a bunch who are CRT-B so we still have a ways to go to get everyone trained up.

so let me get this straight you guys were able to get a program with funding and the possibility of the county purchasing a heavy rescue with out knowing how many members you need, how you are going to retain them, how many will be able to be certefied by a specific date and how many will be able to respond at any given time????? You guys can negotiate my next contract

It is allway a Tuesday in Harrison.................You know what Im saying.

so let me get this straight you guys were able to get a program with funding and the possibility of the county purchasing a heavy rescue with out knowing how many members you need, how you are going to retain them, how many will be able to be certefied by a specific date and how many will be able to respond at any given time?????  You guys can negotiate my next contract

So its basically a bunch of guys calling themselves a Tech rescue Team, with no trumembers, no true training, yet funding. Sounds like a major duplication of service as well as a way to spend tax money.

Edited by mikerabbit

What Technical Rescue Team currently serves the all-volunteer departments in this county?

What Technical Rescue Team currently serves the all-volunteer departments in this county?

uh all of them just call we dont discriminate in our response

So its basically a bunch of guys calling themselves a Tech rescue Team, with no trumembers, no true training, yet funding. Sounds like a major duplication of service as well as a way to spend tax money.

not at all what i am saying. we have a lot of memebers. not sure how many exactly but when they first started with this idea in 2000, there were about 100 members so i am guessing we have around 50 to 60 who are members and many more interested. so we have team members. the 30 i was talking about is my guess of what would be atleast 30 CRT-A members before we could start to respond.

Considering that rockland tech rescue team is needed to be called in to half of the county if somthing happens like the peekskill call a few months ago and it takes 45 mins to get them to the scene, this is not a duplication at all.

where are the meetings held at??

we have a meeting tonight at the training center. look at the room postings for the room number

uh all of them  just call  we dont discriminate in our response

See thats what I'm talking about...Not to get back on the whole paid/volly thing but,working together no mattter what,the life your saving dosen't care if your paid or volunteer. Sorry off topic had to do it. Now when is that meeting?(poking fun at myself) wink.gif

Considering that rockland tech rescue team is needed to be called in to half of the county if somthing happens like the peekskill call a few months ago and it takes 45 mins to get them to the scene, this is not a duplication at all. 

I'm not understanding something. Why would a different county have to be called in to Westchester when you have the resources in the Southern Westchester area? 6 Squads(Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle, Eastchester/Scarsdale, the Greenburghs and White Plains) manned and ready to go, not to mention Greenvilles tech rescue, Yonkers hazmat, collapse unit and so on. Also, all these Northern Westchester departments have these MONSTER heavy rescues. What are they equipped with? Just curious, someone help me out with an answer.