Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turk182

Construction Accident Danbury Ct.

4 posts in this topic

Excavator rolls over on blasting material

By Robin DeMerell

THE NEWS-TIMES

DANBURY -- A 100,000-pound excavator rolled over onto 1,500 pounds of blasting material at a construction site off Old Ridgebury Road Friday.

The blasting is part of The Riverton project being built on the former Union Carbide site.

Assistant Fire Chief Stephen Williams said late Friday that the company doing the blasting had set blasting mats, dug holes and then filled them with explosives before covering them.

It was during this process, Williams said, that the machine rolled over.

It took four heavy-duty wreckers to upright the machine and put it back on its tracks.

Williams said that no houses in that area of the city were ever in any danger.

"That's a small blast," said Williams of the 1,500 pounds. "It sounds like a lot -- for some of the jobs they do, it's not a very big shot."

He said no one was injured during the several hours ordeal.

"Everyone was relatively safe, but we had the potential of setting off one of the holes," he said.

No more info maybe some one from Danbury can fill us in.

I was working when that came in. They didnt send us, but the Shift commander, Engine 21, and Volunteer Tanker 12 responded and stood by well outside the "blast area". I know a safety officer got called in and they hired another Engine Company to man the spare rig, which ended up replacing E21 on site. When I left work at 5, they were expecting the recovery to go well into the night. The old Union Carbide poperty is an enormus site and is in the early stages on construction. Not sure how many units of condos are going in, but I know its going to be quite the growth. Property is located Just off Mill Plain Rd, near the NY State line with Brewster.

Property is located Just off Mill Plain Rd, near the NY State line with Brewster.

I actually noticed that property today, and was wondering what was going in there. Pretty extensive sitework going on.

Anyone know which wrecker company did the recovery?

Edited by x635