Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OoO

White strobe lights in red traffic lights

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever see these flashing white strobe lights in red traffic lights? I know there is one at the Executive Blvd exit on the Saw Mill Parkway and I have seen them scattered throughout White Plains. Are these red light cameras? If not what exactly is their purpose?

Yup, they have them in Putnam...right at the Route 9 and 301 intersection (where N. Highlands had the nasty MVA). No, they are not cameras, a deputy told me they are designed to provide increased visibility/awareness that the light is red.

I believe it's a visibility thing. The strobe will be much more noticable in times of poor visibility, in heavy fog and even at night. When youi see that strobe, you know the light is red. You will only see that white flashing strobe in the red---no other color.

Yea, thats what I thought but a friend of mine insisted that they were cameras. I thought maybe they were tying to trick people, as the red light cameras I have seen are big boxes on the side of the road. But increased visibility certainly makes sense.

I've also seen them in SW Florida--apparently so the old folks understand that stop means stop....

They really do get your attention.

According to the Drivers Ed teacher it is indeed a device to grab ones attention and it does work.

The only one close to me is the one by the saw mill in Mount Kisco and it really works in all types of weather and times of day to tell you to STOP

There is one heading northbound on Central Avenue IFO Scarsdale Ford near the Yonkers border

Theres also one at the Readers Digest (roaring brook rd) exit on the saw mill pkwy.

yorktown has a couple in front of the firehouse, as well as scattered through town. We also have the blinking stop signs for people who feel that stops signs are only a suggestion.

They installed them in Chelsea at Rt 9D & I 84 about 5 years ago. they do seem to help. My district has seen a dramatic decrease in accidents in that area. I believe they also have one near Arlington St. 1, Rt 44 & Burnett Blvd.

But you can never stop stupid people and the ones in a hurry to go nowhere!

For the most part you will find them on a curved area so drivers will be aware of the red light. This is from a Highway cop and a DOT worker.

But who knows.

Chris

I have seen a few of them around up here in Dutchess. The ones I have seen are strobing LED strips now, with the effectiveness and reliability of them being proven.

One that I have seen is up on Creek Road in Poughkeepsie, at the cross-walk for Dutchess Community College (just south of the Dut. Co. Fire Training center for those of you who know it), and another one seen on Noxon Road, at the intersection of Robinson Lane, and the Noxon Road Elementary.

It was my understanding that it does catch ones eye, while not a complete distraction, it is just enough to get you to look up, and see that the light is indeed RED.

Someone from DOT once told me that they're to reduce confusion between red traffic lights and other red lights (brake lights, tail lights, commercial lighting adjacent to the roadway) and improve visibility in poor weather.

Now if they would just tell people that they're not optional... cool.gif