Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
201/65

Interesting Ambulance

11 posts in this topic

I was recently surfing the web and found this interesting ambulance. The ambulance is Cambridge (Mass.) FD Rescue 1. Does anyone have anymore information on this unit? Is this the only one? Is it still in service? What is its primary role? What are your thoughts on this type of ambulance?

user posted image

This rig was at the 2003 New England Fire Chief's Expo at the Big E site in West Springfield Mass. It was a new concept vehicle for Cambridge if memory serves me correct for a transportable rig that could have a larger crew seating area and command center. I'll have to post it on EMTBravoNewEngland.com to see if there is more input to this. It was a really interesting rig.

It's a 2003 Spartan Gladiator/Road Rescue.

This concept vehicle was produced shortly after Spartan aqquired Road Rescue, to try and introduce the Spartan chasis to the EMS market. It included many features that made it able to carry a lot of personel with a lot of equipment.

Myself and x901 also had the chance to check out this vehicle in West Springfield, and it was HUGE. It had a ton of room, and in my opionion, was a really neat concept but too big for an ambulance.

I'm not sure if Cambrige still has it, nor do I know what the ride is like.

Here's a press release from when this vehicle first came out:

Road Rescue Introduces First Production Ambulance On Custom Spartan Motors Cab & Chassis

Inter-Urban Multiple Response Unit on Display at Fire Department Instructors Conference

INDIANAPOLIS, April 3 -- Road Rescue, Inc. today announced it will display its new Inter-Urban Multiple Response Unit at the 2003 Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) in Indianapolis, April 3-5. The ambulance, built for the Cambridge, Mass. Fire Department will support a four-man crew, and feature a custom chassis instead of the more common cutaway chassis found on most ambulances.

Road Rescue, a St. Paul, Minn.-based ambulance maker and wholly owned subsidiary of Spartan Motors, Inc. , said the Inter-Urban will support light rescue and extrication equipment, as well as patient transport and space for a variety of diagnostic equipment and storage. The ambulance will feature the new "Smart Display" technology -- allowing operators real- time vehicle information.

In addition, the Inter-Urban will utilize a non-absorbent aluminum material in the patient compartment, eliminating the use of wood from cabinet construction. Crews will be able to move easily between the cab and the body of the ambulance, and the custom chassis will allow for better performance, more cabin and body space, and increased durability.

"Most fire departments will run an ambulance on every fire call and in many cases the ambulance is the first on the scene," said Chuck Drake, President of Road Rescue. "We think the market is ripe for a migration from the conventional chassis to the custom chassis both because of the roomier cab, which accommodates the desire for larger crews and more equipment to respond to emergency situations, and the ride-and-handling benefits offered by a custom chassis."

The ambulance will be built as an inter-city vehicle using a Spartan Motors ATR-1 fire truck cab designed for ambulance applications. The vehicle will support the Cambridge area, whose daytime population averages 350,000, in a high-density environment of 10 square miles.

Historically, the ambulance market has lacked a custom chassis alternative. However, due to the increased runs of ambulances, larger crew sizes and the demand for better safety and performance capabilities, fire departments today have a greater need for an ambulance on a custom chassis.

Looks like a nice rig. Any pic of the interior patient compartment? Must be tough to back into driveways and hospital bays.

Speaking of large ambulances, Harrison has a large chasis unit any input on that one? How does it handle, manuver, is their a lot more room in the back?

According to a friend of mine who has connections with Cambridge Fire, this vehicle is a combination BLS ambulance/heavy rescue. While this particular vehicle is only a couple of years old, Cambridge has had a vehicle like this for more than 30 years. For anyone who's interested pictures of some of Cambridge's Rescue Squad apparatus can be found on www.firenews.org.

Overkill for an ambulance, but cool concept truck.

That looks horrible. Sorry.....

[attachmentid=1858]

It looks similar to Mt Horeb WI's Ambulance. I found this picture on firepics.net. Credit to the orginal photographer, Photobuff6162

post-17-1168398524.jpg

Edited by EJS1810

[attachmentid=1858]

It looks similar to Mt Horeb WI's Ambulance.  I found this picture on firepics.net.  Credit to the orginal photographer, Photobuff6162

Similar , but looks built on an HME chassis.

Arrow

[attachmentid=1858]

It looks similar to Mt Horeb WI's Ambulance.  I found this picture on firepics.net.  Credit to the orginal photographer, Photobuff6162

Thats SICK