Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Limewire

16 posts in this topic

Ok, I brought this up before in an old topic for good virus software recommendation.

What do you think about limewire? My Ipod is sitting here with just 100 and somthing songs for a couple months now, all old songs. Last time I used limewire I cought some sort of virus or hacker or somthing. I brought the computer to best buy (Geek Squad) and the first thing I was asked was.........

"Do you like music?"

"Do you own an Ipod?"

"Where do you get your music?"

This is telling me somthing. Just so happens that I was downloading the virusis all by myself. So they had to send the computer out to HP 3 times in 3 different situations. 1 because it was messed up in the first place (replaced the mother board). 2 When it came back, they never wiped out the music files (when thats what they were also supposed to do). And 3 because when they sent it back, they didnt align the key board right. In the end they replaced my computer because of the warrenty we got with it and I havnt downloaded limewire since. And she is running fine. I have 2 virus/firewall/spyware programs and they are working great.

(This was a about a year ago)

So is there any CLEAN & SAFE programs out there for MP3 downloads?

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

I pay $9.95 a month for Napster. I figure it this way - it costs $12-$17 for a CD. If I download just one CD in a month, it's paid for itself.

There are some downsides to Napster as well as any other music site other than iTunes: you technically can't take the music off of the computer that it was downloaded on due to DRM security.

There are of course ways to remove the DRM security, but it is illegal and this is obviously not the forum to discuss it. Once it is removed though, the files can be added right to your iPod.

It is my understanding that mp3 files cannot be infected by viruses, so therefore when you use Limewire, just be sure to check the file extension to ensure it is an mp3. You could have gotten the virus from anywhere, be it using IE or reading email. I think people like to blame file sharing too quickly.

It is my understanding that mp3 files cannot be infected by viruses, so therefore when you use Limewire, just be sure to check the file extension to ensure it is an mp3. You could have gotten the virus from anywhere, be it using IE or reading email. I think people like to blame file sharing too quickly.

They traced it back to limewire. Besides, if it wasnt an MP3 file or any other music type like a WAV or somthing it would not have played the song in the first place.

And what it acctually is, If you have limewire pro you can put songs on it as well. If my computer had a virus and I uploaded a song and put it on limewire to share with someone else when they download MY song they are likely to get that virus.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

They traced it back to limewire. Besides, if it wasnt an MP3 file or any other music type like a WAV or somthing it would not have played the song in the first place.

Well I know WMAs can be infected by viruses and play the audio file.

If your nervous about viruses and such stay away from all p2p software and just buy your MP3s through iTunes or another secure service.

or another secure service.

Thats what I was asking in the first post. The rest was just backround info rolleyes.gif

Just use iTunes - it seems simple/safe enough. You can also buy music through windows media player and Napster. I haven't used any but have heard good things about it.

unless they've changed it since this summer, with napster you can't put the music onto an ipod, apparently its compatible with pretty much all other portable music devices but not ipod. I guess itunes doesn't like the competition.

The only legal music download service compatible with an iPod will be iTunes and emusic.

Limewire all the way. Kazza use to be the best by ads ruined it.

i use itunes

I used limewire but it messes up your computer and makes it run slow... itunes is good if ur just downloading songs... only 99 cents a song

I have been using Limewire for a few years. The only problem I have is with SpyWare. No viruses so far. If you use an older version of Limewire you will get less spyware. Go to www.oldversion.com and you can find older version of Limewire as well as other programs.

Bit Torrent. Enough said. But its up to the user to scan what they DL before they open it.

But its up to the user to scan what they DL before they open it.

Quite right, get Macaffe. It is a good program that should have you covered so u may download as u please. Or u could just get a good computer like a MAC and not have to worry about that sort of stuff.....LOL biggrin.gif . Sorry had to throw that in there. Hey just remember they have been prosecuting some limewire users for copyright infringment...so beware. cool.gif