Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DFFD227

NYS Firefighting classes

6 posts in this topic

Now that there is currently a hot topic being debated whether or not basic fire skills should be juiced up a bit, this question is for all the instructors and experienced members out there in regards to NYS Fire classes. I'm trying to figure out what classes I should be taking first, and which classes I should worry about later on. Right now I have Firefighter I, and II. I am currently signed up for Truck Ops, Behavior, and AVET. I want to know what other classes are recommended next to improve my fire skills, and why?

-George

firefighter survival would be my choice.

Principles of Building Construction: Combustible & Noncombustible

It's important to know what type of building you're going into an the different risks each type of construction presents.

Fireifghter Survival

Know how to save yourself

F.A.S.T.

Know how to rescue a fellow firefighter

Principles of Building Construction: Combustible & Noncombustible

It's important to know what type of building you're going into an the different risks each type of construction presents.

Fireifghter Survival

Know how to save yourself

F.A.S.T.

Know how to rescue a fellow firefighter

all great classes i agree with GFD538, Rescue Tech Basic is also pretty good but only after all those listed above are done... also look at hazmat tech or decon...

Also certain counties give Fire attack 1 and Fire attack 2 still both are good with regards to the types on nozzles, various flows as well as GPM.. It helps you understand how your nozzle choice affects you as a nozzle men or pump operator. Also provides a lot more work with handling hand lines and advancing and stretching hand lines.. I feel this is very important in the fire service and nothing helps to stabilize an incident more then a well placed hand line…

George,

Get into a Survival course when you can.

Then you need to decide what direction you want to go.

FAST is great, but ensure you have the basics down solid, especially search tactics. That is where we see the most problems when it is taught.

You either want to go, technical.

RTB

HazMat Tech

Rope Rescue courses

or

Develop you leadership skills:

Intro to Fire Officer

Fire Officer I

Leadership I, II, III

Managing Company Tactical Operations

Dam i hate to follow ALS but he is right as usual--get the survivial as soon as possible. Being as young as you are I would look for skills/hands on challanging courses. Then opt for Fire Officer classes. dont be afraid to travel to the State Fire academy for classes. Its a great place to meet other firefighters from around the State and there some interesting courses taught by very compident instructors. Also look for one day seminars like the one just given in Elmsford.