Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Haven CT Test

7 posts in this topic

Yes, I was one of the late commers. I was there at 4:55 pm yesterday to file my aplication. There was an extreamly long line of people there racing the clock. Is anyone else taking the test? Any Idea how many openings?

I grew up in New Haven, and know people who work there. Hope you have family on the job or live in an "Empowerment Zone" in the city, becuase those are two big things they look at. There has been alot of tension between employees, making it not a great workplace. The job and city itself though, are awesome. Good luck!

hopefully my application got in on time. i mailed it earlier in the month. i do plan on taking the test. do you guys know how they base what day you take the test on. is it like FDNY where you find out a week in advance? or will i find out soon. best of luck to all taking it

a member of NHFD told me probably 20 openings for seen as soon as the list is established. apparently they are working short that many FF's

I went up and applied on Friday. As of around 1PM on Friday they had 600 people signed up. I go to school right down the road and my academic advisor is the retired chief of NHFD. As stated before, there is a big push to hire minorities in New Haven. In fact the results of the last officers exam were thrown out because there were no minorities in the op of the list. A group of guys who took the test sued the city to have the test reinstated and lost.

They are currently hiring 25 for the next class and the list should be good for 2 years. NHFD (the home of the original Great White Fleet!) has been going through a lot of overtime issues as of late and the lack of manpower, so this well be a needed addition.

Also any NYers taking the test, you should look into your reciprocity agreements and make sure your EMT certs can be accepted in CT, New Haven is requiring you be an EMT when you graduate probie school, if not you'll take the CT EMT class during probie school.

New Haven is also using a points system this year, which is new, they never had in the past so any residents of the City of New Haven are getting 5 points. Veterans points are also being given but there are no points for past experience.

As for tension in the work place yes there are problems no doubt but it is not a bad place to work. There have been a lot of battles on both sides of the issues and I of know a lot of them too. The testing battle that all you have been hearing about recently was for promotions, not hires. The last hiring took place over 2 years ago and there were no issues then, that list was terminated last year without anyone else getting hired. I deal with a lot of people from NHFD daily so I do know what I'm talking about.

gotta love how i can get passed over for someone who is less qualified because their minority and im not! im sick of this!