Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigfitz2004

Westchester County Fire History ?

5 posts in this topic

Today I was trying to look on-line some fire history of Westchester County like fire, LODD and building of The WCFTC. They are so much information about NYFD, Chicago Fire Dept, and fires like Iroquois Theater Fire, The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire and Our Lady of the Angels School Fire. I want to know if anyone has any information about big fires in Westchester County. Does anyone know of any book that was writing about Westchester County Fire History? The only book that I can find close that has great picture of Yonkers fires is called ?Fire In Focus An Action Portfolio? by Thomas K. Wanstall. How many people would love to see a book about Westchester County Fire History?

In that book, how far back are the Photos from the Yonkers Fire Department? Are they recent, or do they date back to the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's?

THe book was copyright in 1984. I look like most of the photo are from the early 80's. The book was printed before my time (1985).

THe book was copyright in 1984.  I look like most of the photo are from the early 80's. The book was printed before my time (1985).

Wanstall also put out a few other photo books. One called FDNY and another called Fire-At War With the Red Devil. He was a fire photographer for Yonkers if I'm not mistaken. Most of the photos are from Yonkers but there's a few in there from Mt. Vernon, Eastchester and some from a muster, I guess at Kensico. I think I heard he passed away a few years ago, not sure.

an interesting book or really SOG book that i found while working at 60 control in 1983 that was written in the early 40s had the mutual aid plan for all of weschester co. the part that I do remember the most was that alot of it included the civil defense. Departments were to stage in area's around westchester to respond into in the event of a attack on nyc. Adapters for nyc hydrants were issued to all depts in case they had to use a nyc hydrant. Ironically 60+ years later the mutual aid was activated for 911.