Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Regional Firefighting Team?

5 posts in this topic

The Regional Tech Rescue topic got me thinking.

What about firefighting? Doesn't anyone want to form a Westchester Regional Firefighting team? How come we can form a regional "Technical Rescue Team", yet when we talk about regionlizing or consolidating departments, we get the BS that it can't be done? Is technical rescue more important then getting a properly staffed engine out the door in a timely manner with a qualified crew? Is putting out a fire less important nowadays?

Do we make the rules up as we go along?

I think that some areas could possibly benefit from merging services, but at the same time there is others that are doing fine on their own. Just because a half dozen or so Departments in Westchester are hit or miss it does not mean the entire thing is sinking. I listen to the radio like most and hear tones being tapped several times for apparatus or manpower. I think that we could all benefit from a few things other then a regional fire service. Here's my thoughts;

1. A central dispatch center with the correct staffing and training to handle the County.

2. Mutual Aid based on GEOGRAPHY and not PREFERENCES.

3. Box type alarms - with automatic Mutual Aid / additional resources dispatched at a certain time, not when the FD in question finally gives up.

4. UNIFORM TRAINING STANDARDS COUNTYWIDE for INTERIOR MEMBERS, for FAST PERSONNEL and for OFFICERS.

5. (This is the key - ADMITTING A PROBLEM.)

When you mention consolidation, merging and/or regionalization, people cover their ears and play deaf. The fact of the matter is that if we don't take little steps now to make it easier to work with one another, something horrible will happen, someone will die, properties lost and the community in question will be caught with their pants down. The lawyers will ask the Fire Chief "If you knew there was a problem, why didn't you do anything?" What do you think they would say?

I believe Pace University is currently conducting a study on regionalizing several career/combination departments in Southern Westchester. I think it makes sense to combine your resources with other departments this way they can pick up where you lack and vice versa. Another benefit is that it would cut down on the duplication of services & equipment. For example it would cut back on two departments that border each other from buying the same equipment and apparatus (ex: 2 identical pieces of apparatus stationed only a few miles apart when they could save money by utilizing their neighbors resources.). Overall, I think it would save money while increasing the level of fire protection being provided for your tax payers.

it is true there is a study going on right now thru Pace, on paper it has been shown where combining several of the smaller combo depts with fully staffed personal, closing houses, relocating apparatus, would increase the manpower arriving on a first alarm. vol are still included in the study. MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, is this wont happen with Vol depts due to the fact chiefs positions will be lost, fire commissioner positions will be lost, and as proven in Long island, POWER IS EVERYTHING. THERE IS MORE APPARATUS IN LONG ISLAND THAN FDNY AND LAFD COMBINED. THAT IS DUE TO THE ALMIGHTY POWER KICK IN THE VOL FIRE SERVICE. until someone (westchester government) has the balls to make policy based on whats best for the public, and not what gets the most votes, taxpayer $$$ will continue to be wasted on duplicate services that are minimal at best. we have poorly manned paid and vol depts. that need to be addressed, without always yelling mutual aid for a fire you should be able to handle yourself. Having a county fire dept isnt that far fetched in this day and age.

AGAIN THIS IS MY OPINION. GO AHEAD FIRE AWAY smile.gif

Everyone keeps on looking to the county to fix change things with the fire service, but they have very little control here. The towns and villages are responsible for the fire protection provided to the community. They can always send the fire district packing and choose to go out an hire a paid fire service. Those that all ready have direct control over the vollys can begin paid integration tomorrow.

Volly's have no fear, you are safe. Until there is a specific incident or the state mandadtes some minimum standard of fire protection there will be little if any pressure for things to change. Figure a town about 8,000 residents. Lets say 50% vote. Give your volley fd 200 members (active and the slugs). I'm willing to bet they can each get one person on their side (husband, wife, friend, etc). There's 10% of the population right there.

It would be hard enough to convince voters to spend more on fire protection without a vocal chunck of the community fighting it tooth and nail.