Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Pump panel locations

27 posts in this topic

This may have been discused(SP?) before...but do you prefer side or top mount pump controls and why?

I think top simply because it gives a better overview of the scene for the pump operator.

top mounted is nice, but it adds alot to vehicle length. Anyone with any experiance with rear-mounted?

My station is getting ready for the delivery of our new 3000 gal. pumper/tanker. Our pump panel will be in the rear. We'll see how that works out.

top mounted is nice, but it adds alot to vehicle length.  Anyone with any experiance with rear-mounted?

We have four side-mounts and one top-mount. The guys with the top mount swear by it and ditto goes for the guys with the side-mounts. Personally, I prefer the side mount only because I like being on the ground so I can roam around the rig and do things. Being up top, to me anyway, would hinder that.

So many people claim they have more visibility up top. I guess I am missing that point - almost every top-mount pumper I have seen has a raised roof and a hosebed that is higher then the pump area. So looking forwards and backwards is impossible unless you are over 6' 6". The one thing I have noticed too is that the Pump Operator on a Top-mount will go to either side and lean over to see what's going on. In one case the MPO leaned over and fell off the rig. Luckily, he didn't get hurt.

In the end I suppose I am old school when it comes to the pump panel. I like it on the ground and on the side. It's all a matter of opinion to me, those that have them will preach them and vice versa.

Top mounts are nice as they help you see the scene and can provide some saftey on highway operations from what I have heard. Side mount is traditional and to me it personaly looks better as side mounts looks like there is a hole in the middle of the rig. Either way as long as it gets the job done.

I go with side mount simple because I am a traditionalist.

Side mount is my preference since I rather be closer to the ground especially in this weather. Since top mount decks can freeze up slipping off the rig is a lot easier and you are usually standing between four to six feet off the ground. Also too since you need to get a drivers compartment, your not going up and down the truck and if you trip over a hose, you are at ground level and can watch where you are walking.

I have operated both, and in my opinion, the top mounted is superior, for the following reasons:

*You are out of traffic.

*You have a better view of the scene.

*The discharge gates are easier to operate, because you have better leverage.

*It's easier to operate the deck gun.

Edited by Fireman488

We have both. I like the side mounted panels it also saves about 3' on the wheel base and overall lenght of the truck. The trucks are long enough today without adding 3' to them. Just my 2 cents

In one way I'm old school and favor the side mount. It let's me move around, check connections, look after my tools so I know where my equiptment is going and if someone is not familiar with my rig and looking for a tool I am there to help without climbing, On the top mounted I have not seen a rig where the hose bed or cab is not in the way, you are walking on metal so in the winter when it gets wet you'll be sliding on ice and you have less control what is going on around your rig. As MPO you are incharge of this rig so you better know whats coming off. Last but not least top mounted panels add to the overall lenght of a rig and I know up here in Putnam we look for shorter wheelbase becasue of narrow, winding roads and hills.

I see a lot of people's points about the side mount being better in cold weather, and with some of the cab and hose bed heights. Down here in Alabama we don't really have to worry about the weather, and our trucks are an '87 and a '93/'01 E-one. (the second one got flipped and had major repairs, hence the 2 years) both are top mount and neither of them have issues seeing over the cab or hose bed. Also, ive just always felt that if your on a side panel and for some reason the truck is pulled up in a way that the panel is on the opposite side from the incident, you have no idea whats going on on the other side of the truck....

In our town we have side mounts on 4 engines and 1 top mount engine. out tower and tanker are also side mounts. I have run all of them at one point or another. I prefer the sidce mount because of the following,

I like to be able to "run around" the rig, make sure all is working, see what equipment is off the rig.

Being on the ground, I can react to changing events on the fire ground that may need my help. Getting equipment out of an compartment. Helping to pull another line off. Basically keeping me near my tools. I also like to be able to keep my leg wrapped around the supply line in the event my gauge is not correct.

No up and downs... aleviate the risk of falling. After a using the top mount to draft one night, my knees where kinlling mte from getting up and down to make sure connections tite etc.

I lalso have seen the MPO's on top mounts get distracted and start to watch the fire and not the pump panel after 15 minutes or so, they become observers not participants.

For me...whatever is there is what I will use. I've used both and I prefer side mount, for nothing more then what I feel most comfortable on. I'm not a traditionalist so that stuff means nothing to me. Both have pro's and con's as stated. I also prefer a short wheel base to get where I need to be on occassions with tight streets and the way some parking is allowed. Some things said I don't understand how that has anything to do with pump operations and hydraulics. You can't see personnel operating inside so what difference does that make. All you need to see is your gauges and what hose is off so you have the right friction losses and flows. I can understand wanting to keep an eye on things overall but a few steps backwards and I can see just fine over most apparatus. Staying out of traffic often comes down to postioning and other units and agencies protecting us as well. I know $hit happens and its great to see so many of us concerned with it as we all should be.

Another weather aspect is that I have been on top mounts and it can get awfully warm up there when that engine is roaring for a good amount of time.

As far as leverage, how much do you need to open a discharge valve. If its a problem they need to be exercised and maintained better. This isn't a dig, I've experienced this on numerous engine's myself and it always seems to be the least pulled valve. Another thought is going to a twist type valve instead of the levers. Phoenix has these and they are very smooth and easy to operate. Don't know cost factors but if I get to be on an engine apparatus committee anytime soon I will be looking into these.

I have always liked top mounted pumps. For the simply reason you can see either side of the rig. You can see someone taking equipment but more so you can see the hose to the house.

It might sound silly but the FF's are working in the house and thier screaming for more pressure and you can easily look over to see if there is a kink or something hampering the hoseline. Where as if your on the side mount pump and the lines are coming off the otherside you have to go walk away from pump panel and look. Same goes if your drafting. If your drafting ( no Hydrants here) off the passenger side you cant keep an eye on it.

But most important it keeps you off the roadway when on the interstate.

Just my opinion.

I am a traditionalist as well, i much prefer side mounted pumps. I have some experience on top mounts, and i do agree that visibilty is far superior. On the other hand, when i was pumping on the top mount it was frigid and snowing and your footing is greatly compromised on the metal tread plate. I also feel that on the side mounted pumps you have far more freedom to move about the apparatus which is a definite plus.

I too have pumped both and prefer a side mount for most of the reasons mentioned here by pro-side mount advocates.

One thing not mentioned that I have experienced pumping a top mount is that is becomes a gathering spot for people on scene with nothing better to do. I have been on scene where I have had to kick no less than 4 people who wanted to join me at the pump panel to shoot the shi* off the walkway. Not exactly ideal when you are trying to monitor what is going on.

Top mounts are great to keep the MPO out of traffic, but I don't think the visibility is the greatest off the pump panel and does not warrant an extra 3 to 4 feet of length to the truck. Also, if you want an easier way to operate the deck gun, get a remote controlled gun to keep the MPO from needing to climb.

I'm a side mount fan be it by tradition or by comfort. One thing no one mentioned was how do pump a top mount when you compound gauge freezes or fails? One thing I found myself doing was keeping my leg against the incoming lines to verify my gauges were telling the truth. When you don't have enough water coming in, you will "Feel" it in the hose long before the gauge tells you so.

While a Traditionalist at heart...I'm sure happy we're no longer shoveling hay at both ends of the apparatus.

what about pump panels inside the crew cab

what do people think about that

post-3705-1170119303.jpg

In this weather - I'm down!

Does the cab have heat and AC?

I've never seen that before, what apparatus manufacturer is that?

its 4 guys:

http://www.4guysfire.com/mcewen.asp

CHASSIS: Spartan Metro Star

PUMP: Hale QMAX 1500 GPM

OPERATOR'S PANEL: Enclosed Top Mount

TANK: 500 Gallon Poly

NFPA LIGHTING: Code 3

GENERATOR: Honda Portable

FEATURES: Norcold Refrigerator in Right-Front Compartment

Hannay Booster Reel to Hold 150' of 1" Booster Hose

TFT Crossfire Deck Gun Mounted on 18" Extend-A-Gun

Suction Hose adjustable Aluminum V-Tray, Right Side Over Ladders

Ladders Mounted over Right Side Compartments

Slide-Master Slide-Out Tray in Right-Rear Compartment

Green "Command Post" Light, Left-Rear Corner above Upper Compartments

Whelen TA85 Traffic Control Light, Rear of Unit

Federal Signal "eQ2B" Siren, with Q-Style Grille, Mounted in Front Bumper

FRC Focus 1000 Watt Bottom-Raise Quartz Lights at Front of Body

Roll-Up Door on Rear-Lower Compartment

I like side mounts, however I have never pumped from the top and would have to agree either way there are pro's and con's. I also like being able to have a leg on the hose, with the new pumps and gauges today you can't easily tell when you get a water hammer by the gauge and that twitch of the hose gets your attention pretty quick.

I also agree, with this weather I would rather be in the panel inside so I can stay warm. It really sucks when there is a foot plus of snow on the ground, the old feet get pretty cold. same when it's 100 degrees in the summer.

If i am not mistaken...... Brewster FD's source truck (11-2-1) has closed in top mounted pump panel!!

Not a lot was said about the rear mount pump, one that I like but I like even more when you are trying to incorporate two trucks/engines into one , such as a Rescue/Pumper. The compartmentation is huge.There are a lot of other benefits.

But when I go back to driving, I want an enclosed top mount, with heat and A/C .

Arrow

Station 71 near me has a closed in top mount panel. With windows around him/her so they can see what is going on outside of the pump panel.

I have 5 apparatus in my dept. equipped with pumps (topmount, sidemount, rearmount) and they all have their pros/cons.

Topmount - You get superior scene observation and out of harms way of traffic, but it is a tripping hazard getting down off of the pump(usually preconnects in the way.

Sidemount - One-sided scene observation, cluttered with preconnects. Ummm, no pros for this

Rearmount - 2 sided observation, out of the way of the preconnects, but I just dont like to stand in the rear of a big red truck with flashy lights on a highway when the motoring a$$heads are driving past not paying attention.

I have seen a great idea to it, the topsidemount pump... It is the best of both worlds and I have only seen 2 made. The one I recall is made by Sutphen.

Just my $.02