Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weaselff

Ronnel Wilson sentenced to death

6 posts in this topic

Man sentenced to death for '03 cop killingsProsecutor said Ronnel Wilson 'slaughtered' innocent victims

(Brooklyn - WABC, January 30, 2007) - A jury has sentenced Ronnel Wilson to death for the execution-style slayings of undercover detectives Rodney Andrews and James Nemorin in a 2003 sting.

Eyewitness News reporter Tim Fleischer has more.

It was a very emotional moment as the jury read that verdict, a verdict of death. It drew large gasps throughout the courtroom.

Wilson was convicted of killing the two detectives in Staten Island four years ago. He sat with a lifeless look on his face, staring down at the table while the jury read through a lengthy, 29-page verdict sheet that they've been struggling with since Monday.

The jury was unanimous in their decision, a requirement to impose a death sentence.

Ronnel Wilson was looking to sell an illegal weapon for $1,200 when he got into a car with detectives Rodney Andrews and James Nemorin four years ago. He then shot and killed Andrews, as Nemorin pleaded for his life. Wilson then killed him.

Federal prosecutors were able to prove Wilson committed the murders while part of a gang, trying to improve his standing.

Five other men were convicted in the killings, but Wilson was the only one facing the federal death penalty.

His attorneys, pushing for life in prison without parole, claim there were mitigating factors in Wilson being brought up in a chaotic, disjointed childhood with parents addicted to drugs and alcohol. His parents testified on his behalf during the penalty phase of the trial.

But it was the moving testimony of Christian Andrews, the fallen officer's son, that moved the courtroom the most. He described his sadness at not being able to have his father to talk to and play chess with. Both men left children.

To them and the families, Ronnel Wilson read a statement of remorse. He said he was sorry.

And one very telling element in this long verdict sheet that was handed down by the jury, one of the questions asked if they believed Wilson felt remorse for shooting the two detectives. None of the jury members believed he did.

Wilson becomes the first person in more than 50 years to be sentenced to death in a federal case in New York. The last time was in 1954 for a bank robber who killed an FBI agent.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV.)

I'm not sure its a good thing. I would have liked to have seen him rot in jail for the rest of his miserable life. 23 and a half hours a day in a 6x9 with a half hour to play basketball by himself. Well lets see if it ever happens, should be a lengthy appeal process. Its definitely the first good news our NYPD brothers have heard in a while.

I do agree w/ what ur saying but y should he get to live even if it's in a cage he should die. Living in a cage is to good for him while 2 familys are w/o fathers taken so suddenly.

Edited by mlfcemt093

I'm not the biggest fan of the death penalty, not because I am a liberal, but because of all the appeals and all that other nonsense. Can't say I'll be sad to see this guy go. Hey where was Rev. Al when this happened?

His attorneys, pushing for life in prison without parole, claim there were mitigating factors in Wilson being brought up in a chaotic, disjointed childhood with parents addicted to drugs and alcohol.

Am I the only one tired of hearing BS excuses like this? What kind of household do you need to grow up in to know this is inappropriate behavior?

Its a shame he'll never get executed. I would love to just say adios assh0le. However, by the time he is done with appeals the death penalty will be long gone more then likely with a liberal congress that we have. Appeals or no appeals, he shouldn't rot in jail. It does nothing, it changes nothing. They get instituionalized and lead a 'normal' instituionalized life. 3 hots and a cot. And what makes anyone think this animal will get 23 hr. confinement? He's basically a hero is some realms for killing 2 police officers.

Speed up his appeals process and bring out the needle. In fact call me, I'll start the line.