Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest VFDJrSqd02

Looking for Pro-96

9 posts in this topic

Im looking to buy the Radio Shack Pro-96 portable digital scanner. Good price... Would be nice under $250. $300 max. Any ideas, let me know.

Thanks

Mike,

The Pro-96 is as good as they say. I returned mine for the superior Uniden 785 .

I have the Basestation 785...wut im looking for is a digital portible scanner... any other ideas let me know

what are some of your complaints about the pro-96... i have heard only go things about it.

I believe DFFD227 has the Pro-96 and loves it. I'm actually quite suprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet.

Yes, Seth hit the nail on the head, I think it's a great scanner. It's good for me, because I can listen to Greenbergh PD, and Yonkers PD. Both Digital Depts sound good, but sometimes it tends to break up like a Nextel does when your in a bad spot, like sometimes the transmission will sound broken, but hey, thats Digital scanning for ya (I guess we are even lucky that there are scanners out there that decode digital frequencies). Other then that the analog is great, and clear. The PL and DPL features are fantastic (except for some of the 46.26 repeaters, sometimes if you plug in the PL's for the 46.26 repeaters it tends to sound bad). Another + is it's also Dual Trunking, and thats a MUST have since the county will be going trunked one of these days. I personally love the Alpha Numeric feature too. I have my pro-96 hooked up to a external antenna about 70 ft high, and a good antenna can make scanning very good, and when I'm not in one place I just pop a rubber duckie on it. Overall It's a good scanner, and I suggest it to anyone who likes advance scanning, and likes monitoring Digital Frequencies. Also If you do get the pro-96, look into a good external antenna, it can be good if your sitting in one place, like by your bed, or computer.

Hope this helps...

Your antenna is 70 ft. high?

Do you have your own tower??

You should sell your space to the county so they can put an antenna on it for the new trunking system.

:joy:

Yup it's 70 feet high, and no tower, I put it on the top of my apartment building...I have a discone up there, with 150 feet of coax, so it runs down my building into my window. It was a pain in the butt setting it up, but now it's worth it, except for last month when i went up to go adjust something, and I realized there was a freaken bat nest underneath it! #-o ...I don't think I'll be going up there for the rest of the summer. ](*,)