Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Apparatus MVA - PG County MD

14 posts in this topic

http://www.rhvfd.org/index.html

Just as Riverdale Heights was getting back on their feet with their finances and avoiding reposession of their apparatus, it looks like two of their career boys and a volly were injured in an apparatus MVA involving a DWI t-boning them.

Driver with an injured leg, FF in jumpseat with a concussion, guy riding the seat with a minor injury to the back. All said to be home and hoping to return shortly.

2 career FF's injured in a volly dept........interesting

PG County staffs some of the volunteer deparments with career guys during the day. I believe some are staffed 24hrs with career guys also. Correct me if im wrong.

Edited by HCFRFF

OK so there is no confusion, Prince George's County Fire Department in Maryland is technically a combination department. All the stations in the county are local volunteer fire companies and career personnel are supplemented by the county. There are only four or five stations that are all volunteer and the career personnel located at volunteer stations are sometimes considered "career members". If anyone here is familiar with Stamford's Big Five departments, it is technically the same idea on career staffing volunteer fire departments.

OK so there is no confusion, Prince George's County Fire Department in Maryland is technically a combination department.  All the stations in the county are local volunteer fire companies and career personnel are supplemented by the county.  There are only four or five stations that are all volunteer and the career personnel located at volunteer  stations are sometimes considered "career members".  If anyone here is familiar with Stamford's Big Five departments, it is technically the same idea on career staffing volunteer fire departments.

Not exactly. Stamford's Stations are staffed as follows:

Turn of River FD - 18 career employees, paid by City, managed by Turn of River, represented by Local 786 under "District 2" Collective Bargaing Agreement (CBA).

Glenbrook FD - 9 career employees, paid by City, managed by Glenbrook, represented by Local 786 under "District 2" CBA.

Belltown FD - 9 career employees, paid by City, managed by Belltown, represented by Local 786 under "District 2" CBA.

Springdale FD - All 16 career members (4 on Engine 7 - 4 groups), all are members of Stamford Fire and Rescue and work under the direction of the City Fire Chief, represented by Local 786 under the "Downtown" CBA.

Long Ridge FD - 9 career employees, paid by Long Ridge and managed by Long Ridge. Not represented or affiliated with Local 786 or any other labor union.

City of Stamford Fire and Rescue - 245 career employees, paid by the City, managed by the City Fire Chief, represented by Local 786 under the "Downtown" CBA.

Stamford Fire and Rescue employees can only work in Stamford Fire and Rescue Companies.

Glenbrook, Turn of River, and Belltown employees work for their respective Departments, but can cover OT shifts in neighboring stations if assigned personnel cannot cover shifts. They cannot work OT "downtown" and "downtown" cannot work OT in "District 2", but all belong to same union (Local 786), but there are 2 seperate Collective Bargaining Agreements, which are almost identical.

Long Ridge employees work solely for Long Ridge and cannot work in other Departments due to labor issues.

Confused yet? Hope this helps......

Edited by x152

Prince Georges County FD (and most others like it in MD and VA).... If you can't get your rigs out with vollies the county will provide career staff. If you refuse career staff your rigs will come off of county fuel, maintenence, and insurance... The county will stop recognizing you as a department and you will be eliminated from the box cards and no longer dispatched.... even in your first due.

Why are we debating or even making an issue of the guys riding the rig? The issue here is some a****** drunk driver crashed into a fire truck carrying three people who didn't deserve to get hurt.

Bottom line - my hopes for a speedy and full recovery for all the firefighters involved....because I could care less if the lush that hit them survives.

What about Peekskill and another one up near the end of the world who's name escapes me now?

x152, I was using the big five as a the closest example to bes describe the situation thats all, not comparing them.

x152, I was using the big five as a the closest example to bes describe the situation thats all, not comparing them.

I was just trying to point out that Peekskill and Mohegan use paid ff's with a mostly volunteer fire dept.