Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

MTA Police Highway Unit

16 posts in this topic

Today I saw a MTA Police Highway Unit stop a car on the CCP. Is this usual?

What else does the Highway Unit do?

Today I saw a MTA Police Highway Unit stop a car on the CCP. Is this usual?

What else does the Highway Unit do?

I believe the Highway Unit was initially set up when the MTA took over the bridges from the TBTA but I've been told that there are still some operational difficulties with the plan. If you cross the Whitestone, you'll see a bunch of the cars parked there.

As with any MTA PD unit, they have police powers throughout the state so a car stop isn't so unusual.

Also be advised that any police vehicle can pull you over for any violation, we just can't summons unless we are in our GAOE. wink.gif

NYSP can issue anywhere in the state, the MTA PD can do anywhere in Orange, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester, Fairfield, New Haven, NYC or LI. ohmy.gif

NYSP can issue anywhere in the state, the MTA PD can do anywhere in Orange, Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam, Westchester, Fairfield, New Haven, NYC or LI. ohmy.gif

Just out of curiosity, where did you read MTA was limited to those counties?

Just out of curiosity, where did you read MTA was limited to those counties?

Those are the counties with MTA facilities, why would they be somewhere where they don't have a service area? blink.gif

Those are the counties with MTA facilities, why would they be somewhere where they don't have a service area? blink.gif

I believe that the MTA has statewide jurisdiction in NYS but only limited jurisdiction in Connecticut. This doesn't mean you're going to see them in Albany, but they have police powers statewide - they do not have statewide police powers in CT.

The MTA Police only has jurisdiction over their property through the northeast corridor / CT region. Yes they can stop someone but only if the perp is doing something to their property or trespassing. They do not have any authority over the state highways in CT or local jurisdictions. They do however have the duty to act in any town / city / state they are traveling in and must contact the agency that covers that particular area. The same with Amtrack PD. Usually if something is going on the local PD and / or CSP is contacted first and then MTA is contacted through their offices in New Haven and Stamford.

The MTA Police only has jurisdiction over their property through the northeast corridor / CT region.  Yes they can stop someone but only if the perp is doing something to their property or trespassing.  They do not have any authority over  the state highways in CT or local jurisdictions.  They do however have the duty to act in any town / city / state they are traveling in and must contact the agency that covers that particular area.  The same with Amtrack PD. Usually if something is going on the local PD and / or CSP is contacted first and then MTA is contacted through their offices in New Haven and Stamford.

MTA police do not have to contact anyone if they take action and they have full police officer powere anywhere in NY and CT. Issuance of summons is a common pratice and done while traveling to check there properties.

MTA police does not set up speed traps etc on roads which are policed by other agencies. MTA HWY does issue summons for speed etc on or around MTA properties.

aybe not speed traps, but I've been through a few DWI check points run by MTA police.

Well, from your post, I thought you were implying they had no jurisdiction in other counties. Thats what I read from it.

In 1997, legislation was enacted by the State of New York providing for the creation of a MTA Police Department.

Police Officers of Long Island RR and Metro-North RR were hired by the new

MTA Police Department.

MTA Police Officers have full Police Powers in the State of New York and

the limited in the State of Connecticut.

They are sworn Police Officers in both states.

I have a friend who completed his MTA Police Training at the NYPD

Academy, after he graduated he had to go for additional CT Training.

YOU SHOULD HAVE THE RESPECT TO SLOW DOWN FOR ANY POLICE CAR YOU SEE ON THE ROADS!

Just because the Police Car says MTA, DEP, DEC, or XYZ Police Dept does not mean if you are being stupid they can't NAIL YOU or stop you and call someone who will!

Slow down if you see WCPD Air 2 also! haha

Be careful on I-84 I have seen them shooting radar and stopping vehicles. I stopped to see if the actually were writing UTT's which they were !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because the Police Car says MTA, DEP, DEC, or XYZ Police Dept does not mean if you are being stupid they can't NAIL YOU or stop you and call someone who will!

There was a NYS court case invovling DEP Police who had written a couple of speeding tickets upstate in Delaware County. Locals got upset DEP was writing, and the Court of Appeals ruled they hey, they are cops so don't do anyhing stupid, just like RWC said!

Edited by 23piraf

MTA police do not have to contact anyone if they take action ....

I work for CSP, they have to contact us if they stop someone on ANY highway in CT, just like local PDs have to.

YOU SHOULD HAVE THE RESPECT TO SLOW DOWN FOR ANY POLICE CAR YOU SEE ON THE ROADS!

You should not have to slow down if you are doing the posted speed limit. Drive it like you own it.

Edited by CPAGE

aybe not speed traps, but I've been through a few DWI check points run by MTA police.

The HWY unit will sometimes help with DWI check points. I've seen them on the Saw Mill.