Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FF Charged With Sexual Assualt Of Fellow FF

12 posts in this topic

Let's remember that it's innocent until proven guilty, especially since this one hits close to home, but if its true then it is one truly serious situation this FD needs to address, even if it is an isolated incident, as this makes the ENTIRE fire service look bad. I remember how bad it made FDNY look when it happened inside one of their firehouses a few years back

Darien,CT  firefighter charged in sexual assault of colleague inside firehouse

By Zach Lowe

Staff Writer Stamford Advocate

Published February 15 2007

DARIEN - Darien police yesterday charged a 17-year-old probationary firefighter with sexually assaulting an 18-year-old female firefighter inside the fire department headquarters last month, officials said.

The suspect, a Norwalk resident whom police cannot identify because he is under 18, turned himself in at police headquarters yesterday, said Sgt. Ray Osborne of the Darien Police Department detective bureau.

The teen was released on $10,000 bond, police said.

Police would not release details. They charged the suspect with first-degree sexual assault, which means he allegedly forced the victim to have intercourse, police said.

The charge carries up to 40 years in prison.

The fire department cooperated in the investigation and suspended the suspect, said Douglas Lockhart, chief of the Darien Volunteer Fire Department.

"We don't tolerate misconduct," Lockhart said. "We are very saddened by this complaint."

The victim, who is finishing her probationary period with the department, reported the assault to fire officials after Jan. 31, Lockhart said.

Lockhart would not say whether the victim was still with the department.

Police would not say exactly when the alleged assault happened or where it took place inside fire department's headquarters at 848 Post Road.

Osborne would not say whether the suspect had a weapon or if any evidence samples were obtained from the victim.

"These are all good questions," Osborne said. "Unfortunately I can't comment."

Lockhart would not say how long the suspect had been a volunteer at the Darien fire department.

The defendant is scheduled to appear in state Superior Court in Stamford later this month, police said.

Copyright © 2007, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.

Edited by EM2FD

Yet ANOTHER Black Eye for ALL members of the Fire Service!

It not only hurts you but the ENTIRE Fire Service!

I can not comment, however I would like to rephrase what the chief said. This department does not tolerate misconduct. This person (who is 17) was suspened and the department cooperated with the investigation. this person will have his day in court.

Both the accused and the victim are too young and immature to be involved in the Fire Service. This contributed to the situation in my opinion.

Im not sure age is the issue... maybe being immature is. Are you saying that the minimum age for the fire service should go up because an 18 year old might assault someone? What about someone who is in their 30's I heard that a 30 year old can assult people too. Are they to young for the fire service then?

The issue is being immature, yes they were young, but thats not the real issue.

Edited by bibbles10504

I agree that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and I do hope that for all involved this case is resolved quickly.

There are plenty of older people who are immature, just as I suppose that there are many younger people who are more mature than others their age. However, I don't think that in a case of alleged criminal misconduct, that age or maturity is really the issue.

Since we all should be learning right from wrong from a very young age, and with the fact that society as a whole is more out the open about rape than we once were, I can not see that being young or immature is a valid defence for such a charge.

As for both being too young, this debate periodically comes up. In PA a 14 y/o was killed while responding to a fire call, and there have been many court battles on his status. But some departments (my own included) take members at various ages under 18. But the Alleged victim in this case is reported as being 18 years old. If 18 is too young, where are we going to draw the line next? 21 years old?

Not knowing any more facts about this than what has been posted here, I would put it forth that the Fire Department actually had very little, if anything, to do with any incident. Other than both parties being members of the department, and possibly having met through the department, this likely could have happened anywhere in any type of organization. So I am not sure that this charge, has much to do one way or the other with an appropriate age for membership in a fire department.

And just to rankle your probie feathers a little more, I wouldnt want anyone their age or your age on my crew.

Listen guys, I really wanted to stay out of this conversation, not much of a place for me to come in and comment, but I really hate to see guys inside this board turning on each other. Capt. Munt, there are many good FF who are younger than you, you can NOT make a rash broad generalization about them. Just because someone may not have a TON of years in the fire service, does not mean that they do not know what they are doing. You may or may not want to work with guys younger than you, but you were there too at one point (whether in the fire service or not), and these people at least have the heart to want to try and help.

When it was first enacted, I posted my feelings about posting ages in profiles for everyone to see, and this is one of the drawbacks. Listen, for the most part, we are all here to share ideas and support each other, lets try to NOT be putting anyone down, especially based on a silly little thing like age.

I really am sorry for bringing this issue up here in this thread, but guys, c'mon, just discuss the topic at hand, and stop bashing each other about their own ages.

-xfirefighter484x

I agree, it has everything to do w/ maturity. Do most people gain maturity w/ age, yes offcourse. However, I will without a doubt say that I have met my share of immature, older police offices, firefighteres and EMT's. It is not endemic to the fire service, nore is age alone a factor. If services choose to raise their minimum age based on the actions of a few, where the majority can and are wiling to volunteer their time helpling those in need, they will age themselves out of a large volunteer base.

Capt.Munt, I am sorry that you are so close minded about working w/ those younger than you. Hopefully not many eager and qualifed young men and women will be affected by your shortcoming.

Now, as xfirefighter484x said, back to the issue at hand, I hope both the young woman, man, and the dept can overcome this horrible situation; hopefully, if this was true, it will serve as deterrent to future hurtful, embarrasing behaivor.

Edited by nycemt728

How do we know that it wasn't consensual sex and then she decided that she made a mistake or got pissed off at him for whatever reason and thought this could be used to get back at him. Now if the guy is Innocent, he will be scared for the rest of his life. Now if he is guilty as charged, let him deal with the punishment.

We can't make our judgments of a situation that we are not involved in.

They charged the suspect with first-degree sexual assault, which means he allegedly forced the victim to have intercourse, police said.

Sorry isn't this considered RAPE?

If the guy did it, then let him suffer the consequences. Many occasions when the young do something like this and the parental units find out, they step in and as the "legal guardians" they pursue the charges.

Now my personal opinion on the court system.... If somebody makes a serious accusation as this and the District Attorneys find that due to lack of evidence or the Plantiff changes their story then they (Plantiff) should be responsible for ALL of the financial burdens invovled in processing the case !!!

I think this would stop half the BS that is in the courts today!

Both the accused and the victim are too young and immature to be involved in the Fire Service. This contributed to the situation in my opinion.

Being in that age group, I'm offended by that comment..

If you think that about the fire service, then should the minimum age for our armed forces be raised?

Edited by AS702

This is asinine! This could have happened with the same people in a school, or a business or anywhere else, use your head! Think out of the box, SEXUAL ASSAULT and RAPE (same thing in my book) happens everywhere. A comment like this is just as immature as the way you view what happened, no matter what age. Besides its not your duty to think what happened and comment on it. mad.gif

To NUTTY:

Defiantly do not comment on the situation, don't get involved in any further discussion OK. Let the officers, PD and lawyers handle the situation, which I know you already know.

EDIT: 2/15 @ 20:26

Just remember everyone, this person has been accused of this crime, he may or may not have committed this nor is it our duty here to serve as the jury, we do not know the whole story. We must be careful of our posts and comments remember the victim and the accused may be looking at this site. Let the authorities handle the matter.

Edited by IzzyEng4