Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FDNY Exam Protest Session

59 posts in this topic

When does the belly aching stop?! SPARE ME! Maybe you guys should use those pens to sign up for other metro-area FD tests, just like everyone else does. I dont see how pissing and moaning to big bad DCAS is going to get anyone anywhere. Everyone earns their grade!

As I was told in the past if you don't write 95% or better and get 100% on the physical you can forget it.

You need to do as well as possible on the written since the physical is pass/fail now

When does the belly aching stop?! SPARE ME! Maybe you guys should use those pens to sign up for other metro-area FD tests, just like everyone else does. I dont see how pissing and moaning to big bad DCAS is going to get anyone anywhere. Everyone earns their grade!

Easy, buddy. It's worth it if your desire is to work for the FDNY and no where else. This goes beyond that, however. What effects one civil service system will often upset the rest. Everyone should be concerned at the DCAS attempt to change the test and requirements to somehow atone for social inequalities that they state are prohibitive.

Edited by lfdR1

drobison 82 is right if you dont get at least 95% on the test you might as well forget it until the next test!

the DCAS is not going to change any grades on any test because they know AL SHARPTON will be at there door saying its " racism" as always.

drobison 82 is right if you dont  get at least 95% on the test you might as well forget it until the next test!

the DCAS is not going to change any grades on any test because they know AL SHARPTON will be at there door saying its " racism" as always.

Sadly, you are all too correct.

Too bad Al Sharpton wasn't coming out a a stip-joint in Jamaica with three friends before his wedding....

oops, did I say that out loud?

Does anyone have examples of these "unfair" questions?

drobison 82 is right if you dont  get at least 95% on the test you might as well forget it until the next test!

Not this time! I heard the Vulcans are also protesting this exam...now they cant call racism out

Does anyone have examples of these "unfair" questions?

Unfortunately, no one (that I know of) has access to these exams, so its hard to get out the word for word questions to anyone, BUT, you can see on the flyers that were handed out, or in the newspaper articles examples of some...

Its only a matter of time before the actual questions hit the streets. A battalion chief that i know in Queens has seen the entire test, and wants it to made public so that others can finally see the joke that DCAS made for an exam...

On the 95 score thing that everyone is talking about...I have to see say that it would be hard to make that assumption with this test...other than those who have ALL the bonus points, there arent too many scores that are high up there, like in the past...the majority of ppl seem to have gotten around the same around, high 80's, mid 90's...of course there are those who scored higher, and alot more who scored lower...but its hard to say what the standard is going to be with this grade, especially before the protest session ends....

Easy, buddy.  It's worth it if your desire is to work for the FDNY and no where else.  This goes beyond that, however.  What effects on civil service system will often upset the rest.  Everyone should be concerned at the DCAS attempt to change the test and requirements to somehow atone for social inequalities that they state are prohibitive.

You cant ever assume your going to get hired off your first exam. If you want it bad enough, you'll take a second exam.

has this kind of protest session ever happened before ?

has there been any other test go this badly?

if so what was the out come?

Questions contained a scenario and then possible actions in response. You had to rate those actions on a scale of 1(least desierable) to 5 (most desireable)

Example (I'll give you one that gave me a little chuckle):

"You have just completed fighting a fire. You feel perectly fine when a senior member comes to you and says, "you're hurt, you better take the rest of the tour off".

A: You say, "Oh yeah, I am I better take off."

B: You say, "No, I'm fine and can continue working my tour."

C: You yell at the senior man for suggesting this action

(At this point you rate each response, in other words this would equal 3 questions.)

Example 2:

You are a senior firefighter and you see that a junior man has taken a rescue rope our of it's drop bag. He has inspected the rope and is having a great deal of trouble recoiling that rope."

A: Yell and scold the junior man for getting it wrong.

B: Point and laugh at his inability to repack the rope.

C: Help the junior man repack the rope

D: Shoo the junior man away and do it yourself.

Again, you would now rate each of these responses on the 1 - 5 scale. This would total 4 questions/

100 of the 150 questions were like this.

What do you think.......sounds challenging huh?

And 66Alpha: I am very aware of the competetive nature and the need to take more than one exam at times. With some luck I will not need this exam. The fight against this one should be undertaken by everyone simply due to the STUPID questions above. It is not my personal needs that drive my desire to fight this one. It's the sheer insult that is this test.

Edited by lfdR1

As I was told in the past if you don't write 95% or better and get 100% on the physical you can forget it.

That will not be the case if this test stands......I wish people more people got this fired up about protecting their second amendment rights. Some of us did as well as could be expected on the questions we all had to answer.

Edited by CFD320

lot of speculation from you experts...and yes, questions get protested w/ most tests...the city offers a dedicated protest day

post-3670-1174940566.gif

lot of speculation from you experts...and yes, questions get protested w/ most tests...the city offers a dedicated protest day

ok but what end up happening?

ANYTHING?

ok but what end up happening?

ANYTHING?

they drop the questions deemed wrong or w/ multiple answers and that changes the value of each correct question...but I don't think thats the issue on the table here...from what I have read this test was a disgrace

Has anyone read the example questions I put up?

THEY'RE INSANE ANS SILLY!! HOW COULD YOU NOT HATE A TEST LIKE THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It could decide your future co-workers, and around here that means someone who might have to save your butt. Do you want this nonsense to determine who that is??

Has anyone read the example questions I put up?

THEY'RE INSANE ANS SILLY!!  HOW COULD YOU NOT HATE A TEST LIKE THIS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It could decide your future co-workers, and around here that means someone who might have to save your butt.  Do you want this nonsense to determine who that is??

ummm....no

although anyone who's future coworkers will be affected by this is against this test too...those that even know about it...I cant' believe this is even a discussion anymore..everyone should agree w/ you lfdR1

post-3670-1174942377.jpg

After reviewing this situation and asking my former colleagues, I too must say that this test was a disgrace. In a post 9/11 world, the fire department is becoming a much more advanced municipality, with more developed equipment and tools, not the mention the design of buildings are becoming more complex! All the meanwhile we are threatned now more than ever with more terrorist attacks. Therefore, what sense does it make at all to lower the standards on the written??? Its bad enough that a certain group of individuals were able to win their scam, and change the physical to a pass/fail, now on top of that, they are going to offer a survey for an exam?

Cassano, himself, totally admitted to the accuracy of many of the protestors arguments and didnt even realize it in The Daily News, where he stated that anyone who graduated from probie school would know what to do in those situations. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but this was an entrance exam, and none of the candidates graduated probie school! Its pathetic that DCAS is trying to defend themselves on this, and even more pathetic that there are individuals who defend them! You cry how you want a department to be the best, and how much you love this job, but then you sit back casually and watch it crumble in front of your very eyes, and then say, "Get over it"? So many of the applicants who took this exam, deserve this job more than anyone, and some of them even did pretty well! But that doesnt make them ignore the fact that these standards need to be raised for the betterment of the department. They are not selfish like so many people out there who say, "Well, I did good, so F$%^ the protest". Those questions are the baseline of the argument, and the argument is that this test has gone too far! Especially in a department like the FDNY, where you need QUALIFIED candidates, what makes you think that you lower the standards like this, and accept a high number of guessers who got lucky. Its not about studying, because you can't study opinions.

People have to wake up, open their eyes and realize that this is much more than just trying to get questions thrown out, but its about trying to bring back what the department use to be, ask the RIGHT questions, and stop babying those who cant hack it! Its about not having colleagues, who the only reason they are there is because of bonus points, and because they happened to guess correctly on 105 questions! Its about the future of the fire department!

I normally dont go so far in a rant , ESPECIALLY on this website, but I cant sit here idlely anymore, and read ignorant comments from people, the same comments that are bringing down this job today! Thats my two cents

Thank you

rant away brother...you're 100% right...

Does everyone realize that the "old test" was a part of the new test? The subjective questions and the "timed section" (the timed section IMO was a good addition) were in addition to the old style. The test was much longer and more rigorous than exams in the past. I think the subjective section was total BS just like everyone else, but I don't feel this exam will produce lesser qualified candidates...

Now the fact that the educational requirements and the physical being pass/fail will effect the quality of probies no question.

Does everyone realize that the "old test" was a part of the new test?  The subjective questions and the "timed section" (the timed section IMO was a good addition) were in addition to the old style.  The test was much longer and more rigorous than exams in the past.  I think the subjective section was total BS just like everyone else, but I don't feel this exam will produce lesser qualified candidates...

Now the fact that the educational requirements and the physical being pass/fail will effect the quality of probies no question.

You're kidding right? The test in 2003 was not at all like this test. Now, that test was no brain buster either, but it had a LITTLE merit. There was basic math, mechanical reasoning and reading comp. It was 100 or so questions just like that.

The 45 timed questions? That was a joke!

Lastly, the closest this test got to math was:

"If you have Seven 2 1/2 gallon water cans, how much water is need to fill all of them?"

WOW! Are you kidding!?

The bottom line is any of the tests you mentioned could have been aced (95 or better) by anyone with a 8th grade education. I just don't understand all the hub-bub..... Very few civil service exams weed out less than intelligent people.

The test in question (which I do think sucked, don't get me wrong) was more difficult to score well on than previous test versions.

Edited by CFD320

really because I have slightly more then an 8th grade education and I didn't "ace" my test...by the way what is the answer to the can question?

really because I have slightly more then an 8th grade education and I didn't "ace" my test...by the way what is the answer to the can question?

ummm.........17.5 GALLONS ? ARE YOU SURE YOUR NOT ON THE TRUCK? LOL

Edited by drobison82

Not going to go crazy with this again, cause its apparent people are just not willing to understand and continue to want to bicker over the wrong, pathetic issue...

There is just no way this exam will produce qualified candidates at all, because for one reason, it DID NOT test the candidates actual abilities, it was a guessing game and the standards were LOWERED drastically!!!

People want to continue bashing that idea, then call up the top brass in the department and try to tell them they are wrong and stupid . I have first hand confirmation that they too are upset over this exam...

Please, Wake up!!

ummm.........17.5 GALLONS ?  ARE YOU SURE YOUR NOT ON THE TRUCK?  LOL

AHHH, that's the answer I was searching for!

Really though; I too went, ever so much more than slightly, beyond the grade of 8 and I didn't ace the test.

CFD320, did you take the '03 exam? Did you get hired/are you on the list?

LPFire, couldn't agree with you more. I've been witnessing first hand this B/S on my job for many a year now, and if guys think the Civil Service Entrance Exam is a DISGRACE, wait to they see what the Promotional Exams are like if they're fortunate enough to get on! I give All you Protestors all the credit in the world. I'm 100% behind you guys. Keep up the Fight and Faith. Too bad more of you who took the test don't have the GONADS to b**** about such an important issue as this one!

I apologize if I offended anyone.

It was not my intention to insinuate anyone was uneducated. I was simply trying to point out that in general civil service tests are not akin to calculus tests.

Good luck to all!!