Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Use Of Emergency Warning Lights On Rigs

33 posts in this topic

You did hit the nail right on the head when it comes to strobes. The "flash back" off of your surroundings helps increase your visibilty. It appears that although LEDs have a higher intensity, you actually need more of them to equal the area covered by a strobe light.

There are times when you do not want all of the "flash back" from your strobe lights, like during inclement weather. On my POV (which is certified by NYS Department of Health as a fly car) I have a combination of strobes and LEDs. We have a strobe & LED combination on our First Response vehicle.

We just had two brand new ambulances delivered with all LED emergency lighting. After looking at these vehicles from a distance I think we should have ordered them with an LED/Strobe combination. Do not get me wrong, these things look like a rolling disco ball coming down the road, but a few strobes in the mix would break up the LEDs a little.

It looks to me like they designed a show/parade truck insted of a work truck.  How would one justify the funding for that?

I have to agree with this statement and if I am not mistaken NFPA has standards that list the necessary lights and sirens needed and where they should be placed. Otherwise all you have is a very expensive buff-mobile.

and if I am not mistaken NFPA has standards that list the necessary lights and sirens needed and where they should be placed.

NFPA requires a specific lighting for the Upper Front Zone, Lower Front Zone, Side zones Upper/Lower and Rear Upper/Lower. The divide between Upper and Lower is something like 48" from the ground.

NFPA does not require a mechanical siren.

While manufacturers build to NFPA spec, you can sign a waiver and do whatever you want.