Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EJS1810

Helicopter Operations

7 posts in this topic

I have noticed an increase in calls for Stat flight recently. I realize that changes to NYS Trauma protocols have caused these changes but the question I have is not mediicaly related, it is operationaly.

What does your departments have in the way of SOP's for establishing the LZ. I know about size requirements. What I am interested is do you make your members wear Full Turnouts and SCBA? Do you pull and charge lines? Do you set up foam? How far away do you stop traffic? And most importently, Why?

The only SOP Somers has is full PPE minus SCBA. This is to protect against rotor-wash. It is not required to have a pumper, therefore, it is not an SOP to pull a line. We've had the truck, utility and command vehicles set up the LZ.

To my knowledge, as far as Stat-Flight is concerned, they want a ground contact to advise them about any obsticles that my not be seen from above and to mark a LZ. Flares are prohibited, cones are encouraged. Night time, cones with flashlights inside them do the trick. Another goal in establishing the LZ other than visually marking it is for purposes of crowd control.

I'm sure it can be argued that a hose line should be pulled. Then again, helo's land in Somers on an almost daily basis! When the exec's come into IBM we don't go. When the SP helo lands at the Somers Barracks we don't go.

Should we go to these and pull a line "just incase"? I don't think so.

stat flight does do outreaches explaining there procedures for the LZ and explain other safety issues you just have to contact there office

something that i did not know but learned recently: apparently helicopter pilots prefer NOT to have the standby engine in pump and with a line stretched. the reason being is that they will do everything in their power to put down the aircraft as far away from ground personnel as possible. LZ Companies would then have to disconnect the line, shift out of pump, move closer to the crash site and start over. i think it makes more sense to have an established company ready to move up to the crash site and then start supression operations, rather then have to move the engine when trying to save the air crew. this probably isnt new stuff, maybe im just a bit behind the curve. perhaps someone with onboard medevac experience or piloting could elaborate.

As Truck said, cones or cones with lights on them are great for landing zones. Keep in mind some pilots from STAT Flight HATE Alot of strobe lights around the LZ so turn the lights off on apparatus!

Great point with the engine on stand by too but always be ready to move the apparatus quickly for repositioning like DG mentioned

My Fire Department has something called a "Flight Site landing kit", its a set of 5 colored strobe lights that you throw out on the grund in a circle where you want the chopper to land. I have no idea if this is even an approved method by stat flight, but i think its a good idea, the stobes are only run off of 2 aa bateries and arent as bright as the strobes on the trucks, but in the dark of the night theyre pretty effective.

As a former STAT flight medic, and current flight medic in NH, I think I can shed some light on all of this. So far, all of the comments have been right on, and right out of what STAT was teaching for its Ground Safety Courses when I was there.

The comment about hand lines is great. I hate to see a charged line on an engine, it most likely means it will take longer for you to put me out because if something goes wrong, we are not coming down in the middle of those cones.

As for the PPE, its a good idea mostly for the crap an aircraft can stir up on approach.

As for traffic...when the a/c is landing or taking off, it is best to stop all traffic that can reasonably see what is going on. For example, on 684, it is not a bad idea to shut down both sides. It is not always practical or needed, but it sure can cut down on rubbernecking accidents.

As for lights in the LZ...Please try to limit all white lights. This includes scene lights and wigwags especially. The idea is to preserve the pilot's night vision as best as possible.

Foam I think is answered by the handline statement.

The biggest threats are obstacles in the flight path. As someone said, helicopters land and take off from all sorts of places without bursting into flames. The purpose of the FD is mainly to provide security from onlookers, and a safe place for the a/c to land.

And, as Tommy said, the folks from LifeNet/STAT will be happy to come talk to you in a group or one on one about this stuff

One last thing, each pilot like each fire chief is different, and likes things a certain way. Don't try to read their minds and don't get wound if one voices their displeasure with something in your LZ. They might be preaching the gospel according to Charles and not the way the other 7 pilots like it.