Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mobile Radio Question

19 posts in this topic

Hey, I need some help here. I have a Mobile Kenwood radio that used to be mounted in a car. My guess is that the yellow wire was the power supply and the black wire goes to the speaker because the speakers wire it was connected to matches (correct me if im wrong). So my question is, how do I get this to work on house current/plug? Do I need a certain adapter? And is there an antene that needs to connect to this? Here are some pictures below.

post-3281-1173040330.jpg

post-3281-1173040340.jpg

post-3281-1173040348.jpg

post-3281-1173040354.jpg

Hey, I need some help here. I have a Mobile Kenwood radio that used to be mounted in a car. My guess is that the yellow wire was the power supply and the black wire goes to the speaker because the speakers wire it was connected to matches (correct me if im wrong). So my question is, how do I get this to work on house current/plug? Do I need a certain adapter? And is there an antene that needs to connect to this? Here are some pictures below.

Is that the only part you have is the faceplate part I think that model radio has more parts

That's just the radio's head. There should be a much larger 'box' with a cable on it to match the big plug you have on the back of the head unit you showed in the photos.

Sorry man.

Sorry, Chris it looks like your missing the actual radio unit. You only have the control head and the speaker.

Ok, thanks anyway guys.

What you have is the control head for a Kenwood 30 series mobile-you're missing the actual "deck", or transmitter/receiver.

By itself, it makes a really cool conversation piece.

Or wire a set of headphones to it, and show off your "new MP3 player".

Bonus doorstop too.

actual "deck", or transmitter/receiver.

And one of these "decks" would cost about how much on ebay or somthing? lol. If its really to much im just going to forget about it. Im just curious to know how much they are about (used). And my guess is its about 300 dollars or more lol.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Isn't a scanner cheaper? lol.

NRFDTL11Buff...is there a major need for you to have an actual radio?

Isn't a scanner cheaper? lol.

NRFDTL11Buff...is there a major need for you to have an actual radio?

Lol yeah I have a scanner. I was just curious. But if I have the one part and the "deck" or reciever piece was a decent price for ME, as a young guy (im talking 30-100 dollars lol) then it would be cool to start one of those "Shacks/Setup" as they call them here.

Even if I can get power to it just to see what the heck is on it would be good. I dont care if it picks up or not. Im just saying, if the part I need is cheap enough....I would get it.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Where did you get the radio part from?

We have those radios in the ambulances i work in, they are pretty good. The receiver and transmitter are pretty big units and im pretty sure have a price tag far out of your price range. I can't give you an exact price because the County i work in leases the radios and has them installed into each ambulance. Regardless, I'm pretty sure its a little overkill for what you would be using it for.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Where did you get the radio part from?

The Garbage lol.

Ok so forget it then. Maybee I will sell the parts i have on ebay or somthing. Thanks for everyones help/info.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Lol yeah I have a scanner. I was just curious. But if I have the one part and the "deck" or reciever piece was a decent price for ME, as a young guy (im talking 30-100 dollars lol) then it would be cool to start one of those "Shacks/Setup" as they call them here.

Even if I can get power to it just to see what the heck is on it would be good. I dont care if it picks up or not. Im just saying, if the part I need is cheap enough....I would get it.

Well the "shacks" look like HAM Operator set ups. You need to start looking at the license requirements for the FCC. If you are going to transmit. Listen on the other hand you just need a good scanner.FCC Good luck with it. I know it was on the test, morse code at I think 6 code groups per minute. They might have taken it off though and it also depends on which license you want

Well the "shacks" look like HAM Operator set ups.  You need to start looking at the license requirements for the FCC. If you are going to transmit. Listen on the other hand you just need a good scanner.FCC  Good luck with it. I know it was on the test, morse code at I think 6 code groups per minute. They might have taken it off though and it also depends on which license you want

Gotcha, But (BTW/FYI) I didn't want to transmit in the first place. I dont have a mic anyway. My first intention was to get an adapter for it to plug it "into the wall" or outlet and re-wire the speaker I also have and just listen to it (But I guess its not that simple lol). And if it worked, put it next to my scanner and pager w/charger and it would really small "shack" or atleast a start.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Gotcha, But (BTW/FYI) I didn't want to transmit in the first place. I dont have a mic anyway. My first intention was to get an adapter for it to plug it "into the wall" or outlet and re-wire the speaker I also have and just listen to it (But I guess its not that simple lol). And if it worked, put it next to my scanner and pager w/charger and it would really small "shack" or atleast a start.

well you would need a step down from 120votls to 12volts you can get them at radio shack under 100 bucks usually. Its just a power station adaptor with usually a simple bare wire connector clamp in the back of the unit to supply the 12 volt you want to power

well you would need a step down from 120votls to 12volts you can get them at radio shack under 100 bucks usually. Its just a power station adaptor with usually a simple bare wire connector clamp in the back of the unit to supply the 12 volt you want to power

And I don't need that whole other part to recieve transmitions?

Well the "shacks" look like HAM Operator set ups.  You need to start looking at the license requirements for the FCC. If you are going to transmit. Listen on the other hand you just need a good scanner.FCC  Good luck with it. I know it was on the test, morse code at I think 6 code groups per minute. They might have taken it off though and it also depends on which license you want

The Morse Code requirement was removed for all license classes.

And I don't need that whole other part to recieve transmitions?

Yes you will, Chris, cause the receiver is in the big box that you don't have. The thing you have is just the "control head".

Yes you will, Chris, cause the receiver is in the big box that you don't have. The thing you have is just the "control head".

Ok, Thats what I thought.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff