Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbendick

EMS Battalion 16 and 13. Being demolished

3 posts in this topic

Also note that Bn 13 located in a Hospital Building will also be going. They were supposed to move to Engine 93 but that never happened. So they need two new stations, one which should be built in the Hospital and one for Bn13.

Hosp growing, new

EMS site a goner

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL

DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

The city is taking the wrecking ball to a state-of-the-art ambulance station built just four years ago in Harlem for $3.2 million - in the name of better health.

City officials said yesterday that Emergency Medical Service Station 16 at 510 Lenox Ave. will be demolished next year to make way for a planned $225 million expansion of Harlem Hospital.

Eventually, a bigger, better EMS station - at an extra cost to taxpayers of $4.2 million - will be built within the expanded Harlem Hospital campus.

Health care advocates said rebuilding a perfectly good ambulance station was a tragic waste of scarce public health dollars.

But city officials disagreed.

"It's a good thing," said Kate McGrath, a spokeswoman for the city Health and Hospitals Corp., which runs Harlem Hospital. "We're responding to the present needs of the community."

When then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani cut the ribbon on the 6,000-square-foot facility in 2000, he described it as on "the cutting edge of EMS station technology."

But different mayors have different priorities. Giuliani, never a big fan of HHC hospitals, was eager to prove he could take over EMS services and improve ambulance response times.

Mayor Bloomberg, by contrast, has worked hard to build up the city's public hospitals, and Giuliani's old ambulance station goes against his plans to expand Harlem Hospital by 150,000 square feet, officials said.

FDNY officials stressed that although Battalion 16 would have to move to temporary quarters while its new facility was built, there would be no lapse in EMS service to the neighborhood.

Originally published on September 9, 2004

IMG_1815.jpg

I read this in the Daily News today. What a waste of money! And the city shafts EMS once again...I'll be shocked if they actually do rebuild the station.

BTW, NICE PIC!

I read this in the Daily News today. What a waste of money! And the city shafts EMS once again...I'll be shocked if they actually do rebuild the station.

BTW, NICE PIC!

Really! ](*,)