Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Windows Vista?

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone upgraded to WIndows Vista yet? How do you ike it- is it worth the upgrade from XP?

I'm considering it- my XPS bought last November is "Vista-ready", but the version I should get is perplexing?

Also, I'm worried that my software programs that I have now won't be compatible? I guess that I would have to upgrade to Office '07 as well.

I've been reading over and over about this, but it just gets me more confused- hopefully some of my fellow techies on this forum could help me out?

BTW, I'm LOVING my new Macbook- even though I'm still learning the differences from Windows XP.

Edited by x635

Reading some of the tech journals in the last few weeks there has not been any push by corporate america to do these upgrades. The issue is that its the first release and probably have problems. Everyone is waiting until version 1.2 comes out. We just bought a new computer for the firehouse and it has Vista. I spend 4 hours just setting up software, removing adware and other junk. It asks you for pr\ermission every time you do something. That's a little annoying.

Edited by ajsbear

DO NOT DO IT

Vista is basically a glorified version of XP there are very very few major upgrades. Basically Vista is a combination of the good features from every other OS on the market, Microsoft basically stole every one's ideas. Most software is NOT compatible with Vista, and there are also a lot of problems with drivers. I put Vista on my computer and I disliked it so much that I switched back to XP.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

As a Network Admin for my company I just bought a copy of Vista Ultimate.

I have only played with it for a week and already I found some issues.

First make sure your hardware has vista drivers. If not find out when they will be out. I have to wait on some hardware drivers to come out.. Like my verizon cellular card.

Office 2003 does run on vista fine so you really don't have to upgrade unless you want to.

Make sure the hardware is beefy. Video card at least 256, 2 gig of memory is my recommendation and a nice size hard drive.

I think they went over board with trying to make it secure. We had to do an upgrade to our corporate mail server due to incompatibility with vista and IE 7. All web based stuff. There are lots more alerts and things running in the back ground which could get kind of annoying.

AOL has software that is Vista Ready call AOL 9.0 VR

There were allot of changes so there is some what of a learning curve.

One nice feature is the Ready Boost which allows you to add a memory stick or card and allocate part of the space for memory for vista. I think only certain high end cards will work. You would have to check MS website.

I believe MS has a program you can download to verify if your machine is vista complient. I put this on a 3 year old laptop. So far it's been running pretty good. Still trying to get used to it.

But it's Microsoft, so at some point it will crash.

Edited by ladderthebuilding

I bought a new laptop with Vista as well, does seem to be a more glorified version of XP. Themes are a little more advanced for a different experience, it does question and ask permission for alot of things, for example when trying to change the clock, you have to click it and then it asks you if you allow it, which des gte a little annoying. Personally havnt had any problems yet, did take a little while to set up though. I have the Home Premium edition and either don't think there's that much of a difference or just havnt figured it all out yet. Could be a little of both.

The fact that there is so much uncertainty about a new and expensive product from Microsoft is EXACTLY why I'm buyin' a MAC!

Has anyone upgraded to WIndows Vista yet? How do you ike it- is it worth the upgrade from XP?

I'm considering it- my XPS bought last November is "Vista-ready", but the version I should get is perplexing?

Also, I'm worried that my software programs that I have now won't be compatible? I guess that I would have to upgrade to Office '07 as well.

I've been reading over and over about this, but it just gets me more confused- hopefully some of my fellow techies on this forum could help me out?

BTW, I'm LOVING my new Macbook- even though I'm still learning the differences from Windows XP.

Get Ultimate, anything else is not worth it. As for office, you can run Office 03 on vista, no problem and you can run Office 07 on XP no problem either. Depending on what you do with your XPS, Seth, i would hold off on upgrading. Check the manufaucturer websites of all your favoriate software to see if they have vista support patches or new releses. Your hardware drivers from dell probably have vista verisons. Microsoft has put out an "upgrade advisor" which will give you the rundown. You can download it below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en

But, like i said, i wouldnt spend money on anything but Vista Ultimate. Best of luck!