Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Verizon FiOs Versus Cablevision

12 posts in this topic

This week, Verizon is installing FiOs in my building.

I have two concerns with this. First, will FiOs be compatible with my Series II Tivo box?

And I want to try FiOs, but feel like I should wait until the kinks are worked out and find out if it really is better. Do you get more channels? Is the internet really that much faster?

Does anyone have FiOs yet, and is it better/worse the Cablevision?

FiOs shold be completely compatible with your TiVo. I haven't used the TV service yet but I've been using the FiOs internet service for over a year and I am very happy with it. Its much faster than optimum online and its cheaper too.

I have had Fios Internet for about a year and a half and never had any problems with the modem etc. Actually Verizon networked my computers together as part of the connection. Just recently I inquired about their new actiontec router that they have been using and it has built in wireless capabilities. I got it sent to me for no charge.

I was connected with the Fios television mid February and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Fios' picture quality is far superior to Cablevision's Optimum. Each home has an independant fiber optic connection that doesn't get compromised even if everyone in the neighborhood gets connected. My regular channels look almost as if they are in HD. Fios also has more HD programming along with many more channels than Cablevision ever offered. And if that wasn't good enough the hooked up my internet from 10mb download to 20 mb download.

Now I do have some drawbacks but they are minor. First is that I do not have my local government access channels as of yet. I was told that I should be recieving them around May 1st. Secondly is that I don't get News 12. The Verizon tech said that they will be starting their own local news network, but frankly all the news I needed to get from News 12 I get right here on emt bravo!!

Just got rid of cablevision like 3 months ago it sucked ! I have fios now it is awsome and so much faster .

My Uncle works on FiOs for Verizon. Fiber Optic service is delivered to the outside of you home...once inside it is all Cat 5 (Cable line). Same stuff...just instead of waiting to get to the lines on the poles you get fiber optics up to your house. Cable also runs on fiber optic lines from pole to pole now. Less persons and businesses, however, are on the Verizon Fiber Optic Service because it is newer and less available at this time. They have been lining all over the place in suburban NY. Probably will switch cause the price is better and I can add my 2 cell phones to the plan and get a bigger discount and really pay 1 bill. The only thing I hope is that Verizon can offer a complimentary international service to that of Cablevision. We have relatives all over the world and OV World Call for 19.95 a month (250 minutes) is excellent. No more phone cards... haven't seen Verizon's service yet.

Still waiting to switch over to FiOS TV, but the internet is infinately better.

Edited by partyrock

Gee I can't wait till they get FIOS up and running in New Ro.....oh wait they are doing us last that's right...

They copied Cablevision with the triple & double play...They are starting to copy other companies....When I had Verizon they did not have the free calling to Canada or Puerto Rico...Or the triple play....When I switched to Cablevision from Verizon to get the triple play then Verizon came up with the triple play...

VERIZON IS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANyone have the Verizon Wireless Broadband card in their laptops?

We have the broadband wireless card in the mobile command center at work. Works very well. Speed is comparable to a slow cable modem. It worked in New Orleans after Katrina too, the boys with Cingular and Nextel had to walk around to get theirs to work, I was able to check my EMAIL from my phone the whole 12 days I was there. You just HAVE to be in an EV-DO area for it be high speed.

We have the broadband wireless card in the mobile command center at work.  Works very well. Speed is comparable to a slow cable modem.  It worked in New Orleans after Katrina too, the boys with Cingular and Nextel had to walk around to get theirs to work, I was able to check my EMAIL from my phone the whole 12 days I was there.  You just HAVE to be in an EV-DO area for it be high speed.

Define EV-DO area, please?????

I'm kind of partial to FIOS, being a Fios splicer and now an installer- it is simply the most advanced network out there- no matter what our competition says.