Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wildland Firefighting

7 posts in this topic

I noticed that wildland firefighting is barely ever mentioned on this website, probably because we almost never see those fires around here, haha! But either way, I've always found that it was a pretty serious and extreme gig, and I was just wondering what any one of you knew about it? I know that it mostly comprises of 2 groups, Hotshots and Smokejumpers, and that they deal with the REAL forest fires, not our typical brush fires.

Hopefully someone here can maybe fill me in? I'd really appreciate it, as this is another side of firefighting rarely talked about! Thanks smile.gif

How do you become one? Qualifications? Organizations? Etc etc...

You should log onto emtbravowest! They have a wildland section.

Never even knew there was an emtbravowest...thanks

would there be an EMTBravo south then too??

i'm a member there, found that one first, then got links to here. Originally from Cape Cod, Ma (hence the nick). seen my share of fair sized wildland (brush while there) and several more since moving down south. Interesting differences in how wildland is fought, Cape Cod is similar to the Jersey pine barrens, Florida is also mostly pine and sand, but with brazilian pepper bush and palmetto that burn with a ferocity you have to see to believe, not to mention the lightning which is almost a daily occurence come spring and summer (which we are in a significant drought now) Mass we used Brush Breakers (armored AWD trucks ) to attack the fire in the woods directly (see CapeCodFD.com for more details and a history). Florida they perform a wet attack on fire and structure protection from the streets, while state Forestry plows lines around and ahead of the fire with their dozers

Just can't seem to get excited about wildland fires. As far as I'm concerned if I wanted to use a shovel at work I'd go to DPW! Or use a broom, I'd be a janitor. Now if you cut down the trees, saw them up neatly, nail them all together and cover them with something, then it catches fire? Damn right, I want to be there! I'm just glad there are some folks that enjoy wildland so I don't have to. Thanks guys.