Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kfire94

Who Has Dive Teams In Westchester?

39 posts in this topic

Chris I agree and maybe I miss spoke about the rescue part. If it is a true rescue IE: plane, car, train, bus, even a person into the water, I would call who could get there the fastest. Recovery you can call us because I like the OT.

WCDPS did at one time I think have some divers. I know that they have their Marine Unit on the water at one time as well.

I would hope that one day we can get our hands into getting some of our guys onto the Hudson during the nice weather months. Since the Village of Sleepy Hollow is technically in Mt Pleasant we should be able to be in the H.E.A.T program that GPD runs with some other agencies.

Talking to some of the Yonkers ESU guys yesterday they said they may be setting something up with you guys Chris and the Heli and going into the Hudson. They asked if we would be interested and of course we would. So you never know. Maybe the County will buy a Bell 412 and we can start doing some of those rescues as well.

Chris I agree and maybe I miss spoke about the rescue part. If it is a true rescue IE: plane, car, train, bus, even a person into the water,  I would call who could get there the fastest. Recovery you can call us because I like the OT.

WCDPS did at one time I think have some divers. I know that they have their Marine Unit on the water at one time as well.

I would hope that one day we can get our hands into getting some of our guys onto the Hudson during the nice weather months. Since the Village of Sleepy Hollow is technically in Mt Pleasant we should be able to be in the H.E.A.T program that GPD runs with some other agencies.

Talking to some of the Yonkers ESU guys yesterday they said they may be setting something up with you guys Chris and the Heli and going into the Hudson. They asked if we would be interested and of course we would. So you never know. Maybe the County will buy a Bell 412 and we can start doing some of those rescues as well.

Westchester County did have a dive team that was very active in the 80's through the early 90's but then it fell victim to the budget ax! Unit has been disbanded and although many have lobbied to reestablish it, there is still no plan to do so.

As for the Marine Unit, we still have one of those and at the Fleet Demo Day on April 18, the brand new boat will be unveiled. It will go into service immediately thereafter and be available for the rest of the summer on the Hudson (I don't know days/shifts and probably wouldn't post that info anyway! wink.gif )

As for Yonkers ESU, we're always looking for willing participants to jump out of a perfectly good helicopter so, YES, there is a plan to train with them in the future.

I'm sure we'll be talking to lots of other jobs as well - especially now that brush fire season is approaching (gotta get that brand spankin' new bambi-bucket some use!) tongue.gif

Sure, I'd love a 412 - just call your legislator and tell her we need another helicopter! LOL

Going along the lines of the County's Tech Rescue Team...perhaps, one day, a County Dive Team?! That would be great, asuming we could find a way to make it happen.

It's too bad more Fire Departments along the Hudson don't have Dive/Rescue capabilities. We made mention of it once a few years ago and were instantly shot down because PD has theirs. A joint-effort for Dive and even Swift-Water Rescue would be fantastic with the two rivers and several ponds, lakes and reservoir we have in our jurisdiction. Between the PD and FD we have a total of three boats and two Zodiacs... it could be a great thing...hmmm rolleyes.gif

We try and train with Croton PD Dive Team at least 3 times a year. They are some good guys and we always have a good time training. We have actually called them to help us out on some recovery things.

I don't think a County Wide Dive Team would ever happen. How would we get paid? How would we get called out? There are too many things that can happen.

I'm not in anyway knocking them, they really are a good team. I just think exploring a countywide team mostly made up of FD personnel, like the TRT, may be a great resource.

As for dispatching it.....maybe something like this?!

user posted image

except red and white filters in the shape of a scuba flag?????? or if you really like the batman symbol you can use it...just wait and see what shows up.

Does Verplanck FD have a dive team ?

Does Verplanck FD have a dive team ?

No I believe Verplanck FD drop there dive team.

Rumor has it YFD just outfitted Sq 11 with dive gear. Chief Fitzpatrick could confirm any truth to this.