Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

My First, And Maybe Last, Kitbash

11 posts in this topic

Today, I decided to try my hand at kitbashing. I ordered a couple of those blank Dodge Charger R/T police package 1/?? diecast cars from http://www.fireandcopshop.com .

Even with my hands unsteady and memory shot, I went at it. I used this paint, probaly not the best for model painting (maybe airbrushing comes out better?), but the color was perfect. So, I decided to make a fictional Hartsdale FD Car 2172 Dodge Charger.

Here's the start of the project:

[attachmentid=2284]

Then, I disassembled the entire car.

[attachmentid=2285]

Then, it went through the paint shop. Due to my impatience watching paint dry, and my unsteady hand, and possibly using the wrong technique (again maybe Testors Model Paint would have been better)

[attachmentid=2286]

And here's the final product. I couldn't remember how things went back together, so I just hot-glued everything back together, instead of the intricated screws and clips. I broke a lot of stuff off to get it back together, but hopefully that's not noticeable. Anyways, here's the AWFUL job I did. Looks like a 3 year old did it. I shouldn't have attempted this project to begin with, I knew the outcome wasn't going to be good, but it was fun and I learned stuff for maybe next time. I just wish my hand was more steady and I knew how to paint better.

[attachmentid=2287]

Again, here's a shot of the blank car. I'd really like to do a fictional Greenburgh PD car, but obviously that wouldn't be the best idea right now for me. Although, mabye I could get some clear label sheets at Office Depot and print out lables, and apply them to the cars as graphics, and again use colored electrical tape as striping.

[attachmentid=2288]

Well, I'm quite tired and sick from all the fumes of the various paint products, so I'm going to rest. No more arts and crafts for today, although I have some other projects in mind.

Don't forget to order your EMTBravo shirts please. They help to support this site. The funding comes out of my pocket, and by buying a shirt, you help me out with the expenses such as hosting. Plus, you help to advertise the site, which brings in more people with more knowledge to share, PLUS you spread the message that's on the shirt- that we all work together. If you've bought a shirt- thanks, if not

http://www.emtbravocentral.com

post-11-1174774203.jpg

post-11-1174774215.jpg

post-11-1174774250.jpg

post-11-1174774323.jpg

post-11-1174775034.jpg

Drop a few bucks on an airbrush. It makes the detail painting infinately better. After that is all about taping and masking.

Leave the light bar clear and the push bumper black...You can also get paint pens which you may be able to get a straight line for the striping instead of using tape. Use the painters tape to set up the stripe but make sure the first coat is dry or it will always smudge and never look right. My only experience is repainting of matchbox cars with the tester's model paints...and that was years ago...I have never used an airbrush but that is what they use on real cars so it must work pretty well!

LOL! Not bad for a first try buddy, i'm sure i would have done far worse! I'll second Partyrock, my little brother does this stuff with his GI-Joes and hes got an airbrush and it really makes the difference. In all honesty, seth, given your situation i think it looks pretty damn good...and i wouldnt have guessed it was glued back together. I say you give it another whirl when your back on your feet!

Edited by 66Alpha1

Now that I'm looking at it fresh this morning, it really isn't as bad as I thought.

I think I'm going to re-do the car. I know the parts I really screw up, and maybe re-do those areas.

Or, as suggested above, strip the whole car down, prime it, and repaint it with an airbrush machine and Testors paint.

Also, I'm going to take one of the blank cars I have now, mask the car approriately, and use the airbrush machine to create stripes. Or maybe just tape or something else they may sell in a hobby supply, just have to look. I know I can do better with these and want to do better, just need the right experience and tools.

I really don't think its that bad at all for a first attempt. I remember spending hours as a kid repainting and striping Road Champs and Matchboxes. Give it another go with the knowledge you have now.

Alright...that's it bro...I'm coming to abduct you next week and you my friend are getting out of the house for lunch. Next thing you know you'll be knitting the brothers in Hartsdale sweaters in that green with a blue stripe. Look for my email, I'll send ya one later.

LOL. All kidding aside that doesn't look all that bad at all.

Fire Department vehicles and apparatus should be RED!

That is why it didn't come out right. LOL! tongue.gif

Yea, seriously Seth... I don't think it looks that bad at all.

Let me know if you need a lil strip of Blue Reflective and

really do it up nice.

seth even in your state you did a better job than i could ever do. looks good to me. maybe just touch up the paint and it will look even better. keep up the work.

I concur, it's a nicely done bash, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! Too bad Hartsdale doesn't actually have one of those. That would be sweet.

-Joe DA BUFF

Seth, for your first kitbash you did quite well! Naturally, the first one is always the most difficult but I'm sure you learned quite a bit. I've bought a number of blank police vehicles and decaled them for various departments. I've also removed the pad printing on some Code 3 trucks and re-decaled them for FDNY and Mount Vernon Fire Dept. Ladder 2 just to name a few. Keep at it because if you did that well on your first, I can't wait to see your next project! Just a suggestion, check out policecarmodels.com and Roadblockers.net. They both have many decal sets for police, fire and EMS including striping which looks much better than tape or painted stripes. If you buy any decals, also buy the Microsol setting solution and your decals will look great. When I figure out how to post pictures, I'll post pictures of some of my projects so you can see and judge for yourself how a fully decaled police cruiser looks using decals. Also Seth, policecarmodels.com sells Tamiya clear red, clear amber and clear blue paint for painting the lightbars and they come out excellent. Take care and feel better.

Edited by JP59