Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Kitbash Chassis/Body

4 posts in this topic

How does one create a kitbash body for a vehicle (an Engine or square-tanker specifically) I'd love to get into this hobby, but I have no idea where to start. Any help or links would be appreciated.

Wow.....

Well, there are probably 9,000 different ways to do it. It depends on what you have, what you want to do, how picky you are, and plenty of other factors. Can you narrow it down a little?

I don't have any special equipment or tools yet, which is why I'm wondering how to start. I'm hoping to mount a new body on an existing cab or something along those lines. I'd like to be as picky as I can be for a small budget project, which I realize doesn't seem likely. I wanted to know some techniques for building bodies or refabricating them, and what tools would be required to do so. I don't have anything yet other than some old model paint and X-Acto knives, because I don't want to order anything until I know what I'm doing. I'm probably going to go with a smaller scale model out of not being able to find larger scale firetrucks for a decent price.

As for what I want to do:

The engine:

Spartan cab/chassis, preferably flat-top 6-man cab, cross compartment behind that, then pump panel, and a regular engine body behind that. 2 Axels

The tanker:

Freightliner cab/chassis, small box body w/ rollup doors and diamond plate rear. 2 Axels

What scale are you talking about? Of course, the larger the scale, the simpler (usually) it is to do. I suggest that you check out and even join the following sites (free):

The Scale Firehouse

Yahoo Groups-Scale Central

Both are well populated with excellent modelers who specialize in larger scales (1:35 and up). Since you mentioned a Spartan cab, I assume that you are either taking a 1:87 Boley to modify, or you're thinking of building your own in a larger scale. I scratch build and kitbash, but never larger than 1:50. You can get some ideas from my page too.

Stepjam's photos