Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

West Haven, CT

12 posts in this topic

I'm looking to join West Haven Volunteer Fire in the fall when I go to school at UNH, anybody have any information on their fleet? Pictures would be appreciated but descriptions would suffice.

West Haven actually has 3 fire districts: Allingtown (where UNH is), West Haven & West Shore. Each is a combination department. In Allingtown, the volunteer company runs an engine out of their station and the career firefighters run a tower ladder, an engine and a rescue out of their station. I'm not too sure how the other 2 districts operate.

Thanks, Allingtown it is then. I appreciate the help.

PLEASE NOTE: I couldn't post on my account (nomp3s4u) so my friend let me use his account and these views are soley mine.

I am currently a junior at UNH, i just transfered here and was excited to join a fire dept just like you are. So a communter who was on West Haven told me i should join. So i joined West Haven North End Station and quit a month after. Now don't get me wrong its not that its a bad fire dept its just wasen't for me, i have alot respect for West Fire Dept. Here are my reasons for quitting: No shifts, they are like most fire depts they are all call which is ok if you had a car (which you won't being a freshmen and forget about your soph year you have to park at north campus which is a 5 min walk) and then the drive is about 7 blocks in traffic and considering many memebers live very close to the firehouse you will not be making the truck at the North End station, i know memebers that love the Arllington station(which has a ladder truck) but supposly they don't get as many calls as north end but i can't tell you anything about them because i don't know. My 2nd reason was they couldn't get me gear for probaly a year i would think, not there fault im a college student who is there for half the year what is the point? They had a community pair of gear but if you trust your life in that then your a braver firefighter then ill ever be. Those are my only reasons for quitting, North End only had a 1989 pumper with 4 seats so not only would i not make the truck i would get bumped off. To join a West Haven firehouse this is what you have to do, an aglitty test (easy and fun), a fat percent test and of coure fill out the forms, which is pretty extensive you need 3 people to reccomend you but good for them, very progessive. Please take a look at arllington, many people who are in the fire sci club are on it. I joined North Branford EMS company 4 which has shifts and am very happy with it. If you are an EMT i highly reccomend it, you get paid for calls you go on and they have two brand new 2006 gmc buses which are great. let me know you have question ill be happy to ansewer them and i hope i haven't offended anyone i just wanted to tell you my views on it.

EDIT 1 Oh and by the way a really cool thing about West Haven Dept is if you join one station you can ride at any station you want to. So yes i can join allinton but im sticking with ems right now

thank you

Edited by VistaFD126

I'm a senior at UNH now, if your going to join somewhere go for Allingtown, theres a bunch of students that are already members. As far as I know they staff the volunteer engine (engine 8) a bunch of evenings on some kind of shift schedule. Otherwise I've seen volunteers pull up in their cars, or staff engine 8 and then respond. Only thing I find odd is that there seems to be a distinct seperation between the volunteer and career stations. Rarely, if ever, have I seen volunteers pull up on any of the apparatus staffed by the career guys. As for call volume, Allingtown runs a lot of EMS, in addition to your typical alarms. They have had a good number of fires too since I've been up here.

Now about UNH, lets just say I'm happy to be graduating lol.

Edit-I realized that you wanted some fleet info. Cant give you much more then this.

Career Rigs

Tower One-Brand new aerial platform, though I guess its really a quint. Put into service within the last 2 years, they run it first due. Its a massive, but nice looking rig.

Rescue One-Runs all medicals and MVA's. Equipt with extrication equipment and can transport patients, though they dont seem to do that often.

Engine 2-Used to be the first due engine, runs second due now. The career staff roll each of these rigs on all boxes.

Engine 8-The volunteer rig, purchased with grant money in the past couple years, I dont know much more about it, sorry.

Edited by BFD196

OK, here are the Volunteers in West Haven

Allingtown Volunteer Firefighters (Allingtown Fire District)- Admiral Street Station (just downt he street from UNH near the Allingtown Green) The operate Engine 8 and will also staff Engine 3 (Spare) when needed to respond. If you want to join there e-mail me, I know the Volunteer chief personally.

West Haven (Center District) Fire Department volunteer companies

Engine & Hose Co. 1 - Quartered at 2nd Ave Station, Apparatus is Engine 28 which is kept at Elm Street.

Hook & Ladder Co. 1 - 2nd Ave Station (Truck 26 support tactical truck)

North End Hose Co. 3 - Spring Street (Spring Street is where Krausers is on Campbell Ave across from the VA, they house is halfway down the street) Engine 23 (I know people at this station also)

Savin Hose Co. 4 - (Squad 54 tactical truck) Last I knew they were still at Spring Street station with Engine 23

Stevens Heights Engine Co. 5 - Engine 29 (but I think they can ride with the paid guys on Engine 25 also, unsure) Maloy Road, top of the hill over looking I-95

West Shore Fire District - I believe their volunteers area out of the Dawson Ave / Ocean Ave station, unsure

Also I believe all three fire districts also have utility firefighters on the weekends also but I do not know if this practice still takes place or what the requirements are.

Career Rigs

Tower One-Brand new aerial platform, though I guess its really a quint.  Put into service within the last 2 years, they run it first due.  Its a massive, but nice looking rig.

Rescue One-Runs all medicals and MVA's.  Equipt with extrication equipment and can transport patients, though they dont seem to do that often.

Engine 2-Used to be the first due engine, runs second due now.  The career staff roll each of these rigs on all boxes. 

Engine 8-The volunteer rig, purchased with grant money in the past couple years, I dont know much more about it, sorry.

They still have a 2 man staffing on Rescue 1, Engine 2 and Tower 1 as last that I know and run everything out of minor park. If there is a box, one member from Rescue 1 jumps over to Tower 1 or at least that was the last running rules they have when the new E-one rolls.. Engine 2 is still first due but will run as water supply for the tower. I got a couple friends that work there, I find out for us.

While we're on the topic of West Haven, does anyone know how the vollies here are alerted? I've heard tones for the West Shore chiefs, but never for any of the departments.

While we're on the topic of West Haven, does anyone know how the vollies here are alerted?  I've heard tones for the West Shore chiefs, but never for any of the departments.

The vollies are paged out over 46.5000 with the same district tones used prior to the UHF system. 46.5000 is still the tone out. If you listen to both 453.800 you hear the initial station alerts for the paid stations and then ERS tones out over 46.5000 and announces the "box". Then off course you get West Haven's radio data "chirps" over both frequencies when they respond "60" / arrive "65" / and clear "63".

West Haven is really good to listen to, they have a great mutual aid response through all three districts.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Thanks for the info, I put that tone out frequency in my scanner and deleted it shortly after, all the data noise is annoying lol. West Haven is good to listen to otherwise, their dispatching is excellent.

Still looking for pictures if anyone has them.