Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Its 3am... Working House Fire - Children inside

21 posts in this topic

Its 3 o'clock in the morning ... you arrive at a two story house with fire showing... bedrooms are upstairs with TOT FINDER decals displayed....

With Proper PPE and a charged attack line... crews enter the residence for a search.....

post-23-1175640745.jpg

Edited by TR54

and then...

The crew goes up the stairs to find .........a reflective TOT FINDER near the bottom of the door .... below the smoke condition...

post-23-1175641427.jpg

Edited by TR54

Where is the point to this?.....

Edited by bibbles10504

Inside hallway

post-23-1175641746.jpg

post-23-1175653505.jpg

Edited by TR54

I don't understand the point of this either anything further?

Are you trying to sell us on a 21st century Tot-finder iniative? You realize the first Tot-finder program was banished after all the people moved or kids changed rooms. How will we know if the Tot finder was placed there by the current tenants? If you don't have verification from the parents would you not look in the room with the sticker on it?

Sorry to be so skeptical, but we still find Tot-finder stickers on apartment windows and once and awhile people ask for them.

You enter and there is no one inside...... mellow.gif

Edited by nutty1

Parents are still always asking for tot finders... a thourgh search of ever room could turn up with positive results.....

the possiblity of the decal being current on the interior ?

compared to the outside...

post-23-1175642790.jpg

post-23-1175642869.jpg

Edited by TR54

Just something you might come across ,,, interior TOT finders decals to help in a search

post-23-1175643471.jpg

Edited by TR54

I'm still not really sure what the point of this is.... If it is 3am, and you show up to a working structure fire and you are told that there are kids in the room you should search the room whether or not there is a tot sticker. If people are going to put up tot finder stickers they should make sure that is actually the kids room, and if they change rooms, take the tot sticker off.

Edited by bibbles10504

TR54

i have had my tot finder on my door of my apt. for a year now in the location of your drawings you posted along with a union sticker leting the guys know in yonkers that there is a fellow brother along with young children in the apt.

i lefty a bunch in my hallway hoping the other people in my building follow and do the same. i think that its a great idea to have them at the bottom of the doors and if used the right way by parents it would greatly help us in searches.

Edited by efd184

Let's be honest though, how many of us actually think we'll even see those stickers in a heavily charged hallway.. I think VES is the best option of all.

How many parents actually close the door to their childs/childrens bedrooms when they go to sleep?

tot finders are a good idea, but correct me if i am wrong but didnt the tot finders go by the wayside when there was a big problem with child molesters and abductors. Having an external tot finder is kind of advertising that there are small children in the residence.

2267 never thought or heard about that but it does make sense

So what if there are tot finder and invalid stickers! You should always conduct primary and secondary searches!

But what happens when a child gets scared and is not in the room when the tot finder sticker is? Problem, I think so. Time for plan B and get away from tunnel vision, and get another search team in operation (on top of the two that should be working).

Its 3 o'clock in the morning ... you arrive at a two story house with fire showing...  bedrooms are upstairs with TOT FINDER decals displayed....

With Proper PPE and a charged attack line... crews enter the residence for a search.....

I think its an add for the EMT Bravo Flashlights!!! biggrin.gif

I'm with shanks..when I just read the title on the main page I was thinking VES, and I didn't think about the tot finder stickers. I'd keep it in my mind that when I got to that room that a child might be in there, but my search priorities would remain the same.

I'm with ALS ves and sound judgement making a search will give me the indications of a childs room--not a tot finder.

The bigger questions is how many person remove these stickers if they move etc.?

Also just wanted to add that I believe that there has never been a single documented case of any child abuction or other criminal act attributed to these stickers. Also there are many fire departments whom do not get involved in the program for many of the reasons stated in regard to not changing search priorities/tactics and stickers that are not removed. Many can be found by using a search engine under tot finder or tot finder risks.