Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huzzie59

Travel Times To Hospitals?

17 posts in this topic

What hospital(s) do you take 90% of your patients to and what kind of travel time is involved?

How about travel time to the nearest Trauma Center?

What hospital(s) do you take 90% of your patients to and what kind of travel time is involved?

How about travel time to the nearest Trauma Center?

We go to Phelps in Sleepy Hollow most of the time, followed by Hudson Valley in Cortlandt and Westchester Medical Center gets the rest. It is a 15 minute ride to WMC for traumas give or take a couple.

We go to Danbury Hospital... its a trauma center so we don't ever have to worry about going further. About 15-20 minutes away.

Up here in Ansonia, we usually go to Griffin Hospital, which is in Derby on the town boarder. Shelton, Derby, Seymour and Oxford also come to this hospital the majority of the time.

However, for trauma centers, we have Yale-New Haven, St. Raphael's (New Haven), Waterbury, St. Mary's (Waterbury), Bridgeport and St. Vincent's (Bridgeport) and we also can go to Milford Hospital (if there is a diversion) and also the West Haven VA for the vets. All the hospitals are a 10 to 20 minute "hot" drive to those facilities.

New Canaan transports to Norwalk Hospital almost all of the time. Darien, Westport, Wilton, Weston all transport to Norwalk as well. Sometimes New Canaan and Darien go to Stamford Hospital depending on the location of the call - if it is closer to the Stamford border. Norwalk is roughly a 5-15 minute ride depending on where the call is in the town and the traffic on Route 123.

When I volunteer at home, we normally transport to Putnam Hospital. If needed we'll go to Danbury Hospital which is a level II trauma center, or Westchester Medical when indicated. At work, normally it's White Plains Hospital or Sound Shore if I am working in New Rochelle. WMC is about 10 minutes from White Plains. Sound Shore is a level II trauma center as well, if we need a level one, we will either go to WMC or Jacobi in the Bronx.

Vassar Hospital Poughkeepsie or St francis Poughkeepsie. Vassar 10 to 1 ratio. St francis is the closest for us it's a " level 2 " Trauma center.

Edited by drobison82

We go to Danbury Hospital... its a trauma center so we don't ever have to worry about going further. About 15-20 minutes away.

What if you have a case that requires a different level trauma center? (Burns, Peds, Neuro) Do you take them Danbury anyway and let them sort it out?

What if you have a case that requires a different level trauma center? (Burns, Peds, Neuro) Do you take them Danbury anyway and let them sort it out?

CT is way different than NY when it comes to traumas. All traumas usually go to the Level 1 (teaching hospital / PICU) or Level 2 (certified trauma level) hospitals. In CT, Yale-New Haven, Hartford and I believe Bridgeport are level 1. Yale and Hartford have the PICUs (pediatric Intensive care units) since they have the pediatric hospitals and I think Bridgeport is also a PICU but I'm not sure, South West guys help here with this one. Regular Trauma centers area level 2 and include St. Ray's (New Haven), Danbury, St. Vincent's (Bridgeport), Stamford, Norwalk, St. Mary's (Waterbury) Waterbury, Charlett Hungerford (Torrington), and a few others out east that I can't remember.

Now all the other hospitals in the state are non traumas (level 3). Depending on patient condition, if a patient is in full traumatic cardiac arrest, the patient must go to the closest hospital and be stabilized before transport to a trauma center. If the patient is a full trauma (non arrest) then the patient is taken to the closest trauma center, in my area it would be Yale, St. Ray's or Bridgeport. If its a Pedi trauma, automatically to Yale.

The burn center in CT is at Bridgeport Hospital so for us, as long as the patient can survive the transport, a decision made by the paramedic on scene, we head to B-port, if the patient again needs immediate hospital attention, we go to the closest facility to stabilize and then transport to B-Port. If it is a hospital is way out, then a Lifestar transport to Bridgeport is done.

Nueros are handled by all trauma centers. Except for pediatic hosptals, the hyperbaric chambers and Bridgeport's burn center, the trauma centers in CT handle everything, there is really no special breakdown.

The 5 C-MED districts in CT are pretty much the same when it comes to trauma protocols.

to give some contrast for you (I'm not currently on a Dept anymore)

when I was on for Sandwich, MA we had 4 hospitals (Cape Cod (HYannis), Falmouth, Tobey (Wareham), and Jordan (Plymouth) within a 20 minute response for transports, no trauma centers, or speciality centers, all those were in Boston, a 45 to 60 minute ride at best, usually anyone needing to go there either got flown, or went to a local hospital first for stabilization, the got flown out (Falmouth and Jordan both had their own Helopads, Cape Cod went to Barnstable Muni Airport) we also had the capability to use the Coast Guard for medevacs or rescues if the situation was serious enough or the weather was marginal

YONKERS...

St. Joes, St. John's, and Lawrence Hospital (Bronxville)

Trauma:

Jacobi Medical Center + or - 10 minutes depending on who is driving.

Westchester Medical Center, same

There was always an unwritten rule...anything NB on a highway might as well go north, SB might as well go south...south of the Cross County goes to Jacobi and north of goes to the Med Ctr...like I said unwritten...some persons felt comfy with one or the other and that was their choice.

As for in the "City" handling...closest facility or patient request...but one hospital still doesn't understand that!!!!!!

Oh yeah, special needs:

Dentistry or Re-attachment: Montefiore Medical Center... 5-10 minutes depending on traffic and if your chauffer knows the shortcuts!

Edited by Oswegowind

Verplanck FD and Cortlandt VAC use Hudson Valley (8 out of 10 times) about 10 min, Phelps if needed about 15 min and Westchester Medical Center for Trauma about 20 mins.

In Mamamroneck, Depending on where in the Village the call is, and the severity, it's usually Sound Shore or White Plains. Many people also like to go to Greenwich. Avg times to WP or SSMC 5-10 min, again depending on location within the Village. For Greenwich, it's usually AT LEAST 15-20 mintues, even if we're right next to the I-95 Ramps.

Traumas can go to WMC or Jacobi.

For New Rochelle, 99.9999% of the time it's off to Sound Shore. Once in a blue moon, White Plains, and 30A3 has even gone to Lawrence and Mt Vernon a few times. For Traumas, its Jacobi all the way.

Transport times to area Hospitals are 8 to 10 min depending on call location.

Between 10 min. to 30min. - Hudson Valley, Vassar, Saints, Putnam, St. Lukes, or WMC

Location is almost irrelevant for where i work, as any given address is almost equidistant from Hudson Valley or Vassar/Saints - your often talking 1-2 miles difference. Most transports, including emergency, take 10 - 15 minutes to Hudson Valley or Vassar/Saints. Getting to Vassar/Saints is always a pain the a$$ given the lights and traffic density on route 9 (its almost worthless going code 3). Hudson Valley is usually much quicker - getting to WMC from the TSP isn't bad either.

Edited by 66Alpha1

to give some contrast for you (I'm not currently on a Dept anymore)

when I was on for Sandwich, MA we had 4 hospitals (Cape Cod (HYannis), Falmouth, Tobey (Wareham), and Jordan (Plymouth) within a 20 minute response for transports, no trauma centers, or speciality centers, all those were in Boston, a 45 to 60 minute ride at best, usually anyone needing to go there either got flown, or went to a local hospital first for stabilization, the got flown out (Falmouth and Jordan both had their own Helopads, Cape Cod went to Barnstable Muni Airport) we also had the capability to use the Coast Guard for medevacs or rescues if the situation was serious enough or the weather was marginal

I have a cousin out in N. Truro. Bad head on MVA on 6. Fog had everything grounded. Cape Cod hospital performed a couple of "I read about this, but haven't done it yet" procedures and got him stable enough for a flight to Boston the next morning. Coming from places where I can litterally choose which trauma center I'd rather transport to I have to give it up to you guys.

we in valhalla generally go to WMC and White Plains. on occassion we go to Phelps and in the last two years i have tx'd to Northern Westchester i think twice.