Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

UPDATE - Old Centennial Hose Firehouse - Peekskill

37 posts in this topic

An independent Peekskill Fire Co.

Such as: Centennial Hose, Cortlandt Hook & Ladder, Columbian Engine...etc

Peekskill Fire Patrol, ole E134, now Rescue 134.

The "house" is on Highland Av, next to White Plains Linen.

I hope the city was smart enough to require a performance bond posted by the contractor, and can recoup some of the money spent for the move prep.

Most likely a total loss for the city. Thats the risk they took to move it instead of just knocking it down. If i was a tax payer up there i would be PISSED that this money was lost to try and save this building. What was going to happen to it? was the FD going to use for anything else then shell to look at and hope it didnt fall down and kill someone walking by? What would the estimated cost have been to make it a safe usable building? Now some of you may not agree and that is fine. I just think that the mighty doller at this point in time can be used on more useful things then this!

It was definately wierd seeing a building I saw all my life in a pile today, but I can't say I'm overly upset about it either. The building was nothing but a shell and way gone from its heyday that family and friends have told me about over the years of what that firehouse once was. I feel bad for the older members who I'm sure had some fond memories and a few tragic ones as well while housed in that station. As far as the sign...that's the only thing that has made me wonder about this whole process..why wasn't it take some 20 something years ago when the station was built and put into the new one or why wasn't it replicated exactly like that one on the replacement station? I also have to wonder if the same sentiment was put into the old firehouse on Park St. was demolished during the urban renewel, I never heard much about it or seen many thing from it.

Additionally the career staff were vacated from Fire Station 2 due to significant health and safety issues. While I'm not sure what was implied by "business as usual" in regard to volunteer personnel utilizing the station, there is a big difference when you spend your majority of your time in a station that is basically your second home. "Business as usual" for the career personnel meant dealing with rodents, roaches, emissions from a large commerical laundry and fine particulate from diesel emmissions and exhaust (carcinogen) from laundry vehicles and the apparatus that has led to numerous personnel who have worked that station to complain of sore throats and respiratory problems. It is not uncommon to work that station and upon leaving having your clothing reek of a oily diesel odor.

It was definately wierd seeing a building I saw all my life in a pile today, but I can't say I'm overly upset about it either. The building was nothing but a shell and way gone from its heyday that family and friends have told me about over the years of what that firehouse once was. I feel bad for the older members who I'm sure had some fond memories and a few tragic ones as well while housed in that station. As far as the sign...that's the only thing that has made me wonder about this whole process..why wasn't it take some 20 something years ago when the station was built and put into the new one or why wasn't it replicated exactly like that one on the replacement station? I also have to wonder if the same sentiment was put into the old firehouse on Park St. was demolished during the urban renewel, I never heard much about it or seen many thing from it.

Additionally the career staff were vacated from Fire Station 2 due to significant health and safety issues. While I'm not sure what was implied by "business as usual" in regard to volunteer personnel utilizing the station, there is a big difference when you spend your majority of your time in a station that is basically your second home. "Business as usual" for the career personnel meant dealing with rodents, roaches, emissions from a large commerical laundry and fine particulate from diesel emmissions and exhaust (carcinogen) from laundry vehicles and the apparatus that has led to numerous personnel who have worked that station to complain of sore throats and respiratory problems. It is not uncommon to work that station and upon leaving having your clothing reek of a oily diesel odor.

Buisness as usual means exactly that! It should have read nothing as usual, I can't recall there EVER being many if not any people there.I believe there are only a few active firefighters from there anyway.

Buisness as usual means exactly that! It should have read nothing as usual, I can't recall there EVER being many if not any people there.I believe there are only a few active firefighters from there anyway.

Business as usual means exactly that - the volunteers who are there(perhaps you didn't see them becaue they were upstairs while the career staff was located downstairs) go about their business when they are at the firehouse just the same as they have for the past 40 years. They did not seem to have the same issues as the first floor and so are able to continue using the building on the second floor.

Did you think it meant something else?