Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Pleasant PD Hovercraft

9 posts in this topic

According to a photo on LoHud.com, Mt. Pleasant PD has a hovercraft that they were using last night to rescue people in Mamaroneck.

When did they obtain this, and what are the specs? Where is it stored and how is it transported?

Yes we have a HOVER CRAFT and it was deployed last night in RYE and in MAMARONECK. I can get the specs but we have had it for a couple of years and we mainly use it for ICE TRAINING AND RESCUES. I have to say that it worked pretty good last night but the underneath took a beating so we need to repair some stuff. It was obtained for FREE before I was even hired. The City of Rye now wants to purchase one. I would say get the biggest one possible.

any of the MPPD boats used?

I hope all the flood prone areas get something so they can stop using a front end loader to evacuation people. Or, if they are going to keep doing that they could at least get PFD's for everyone they carry!

Every time I see the pictures of a half dozen people in the bucket of a loader I shudder at the thought of what would happen if one was to fall out... and either be carried away by the flowing water or run over by the damn thing!

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the use of construction equipment (i.e. a front loader) is actually a violation of OSHA policy... obviously in an emergency you have to do what you have to do, and I'm not saying anyone did anything wrong. But, there is the possibility one may open themselves up to liability (individually or as an agency) for constantly relying on a piece of equipment that OSHA does not approve for transporting individuals during rescue operations.

Yes we have a HOVER CRAFT and it was deployed last night in RYE and in MAMARONECK. I can get the specs but we have had it for a couple of years and we mainly use it for ICE TRAINING AND RESCUES. I have to say that it worked pretty good last night but the underneath took a beating so we need to repair some stuff. It was obtained for FREE before I was even hired. The City of Rye now wants to purchase one. I would say get the biggest one possible.

Do we have any pictures of this vehicle?

Yes we have a HOVER CRAFT and it was deployed last night in RYE and in MAMARONECK ... I would say get the biggest one possible.

Yes, a bigger one ... poor Doug looked like he was riding a kiddie ride at Playland.

Good job by all

Do we have any pictures of this vehicle?

look in the local sectio of today's (4/16) journal news. the pic is of the MPPD rig. i'll see if i can get the pic...

MPPD had Hover Craft, RIGID HULL INFLATABLE, Zodiac and an 18' Boston Whaler. We also had a John boat but did not use that. All crafts were used and some were even used by different agencies.

Yes Doug did look like he was on a ride at Playland.